Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @Scot

Arry, RED, the BMC feature no AF what so ever and nobody is complaining about that. :)

• @Eno, this camera does not compete with Arri, RED, BMC. It's competitors ie A6500, XT2, some of Canon DSLRs all have way better AF. Another selling point of the GH5 is that it's a good vlogging camera. But if the AF sucks, then what good of a vlogging camera is it? To be fair I have not seen or played with the camera yet but all the test from others point to a back AF system. And yes it has other key features that other cameras don't have but for my kind of shooting, I will occasionally want a good AF system.

• "Another selling point of the GH5 is that it's a good vlogging camera."

People say this is a good vlogging camera...seriously?..why would someone pay so much for such great camera to basically do video selfies with?..all in iauto mode with autofocus?

If you want to do vlogging get a sony rx100 or something similar...this camera should never be in the hands of a simple vlogger...

• If you bought this camera and are serious about producing professional results, you shouldnt care less about its auto focus features...I like auto focus as and when i feel lazy but I would never ever really on it for any paid work...and that would be true if I owned any Sony or Canon. No matter how good autofocus is on any camera it does not have AI...it cannot instinctivley know where you want the focus to be...unless you tell it.....manually

• Panasonic them self say it will make a great vlogging camera

"...this camera should never be in the hands of a simple vlogger..."

Actually it should because serious vloggers who have a good following on youTube turn to use good cameras: 5D III and IV, A7s III etc as their main camera. And yes they also have rx100 kind cameras for when they can't use their main cameras. (Yes there are vloggers too who have a huge following who don't use such cameras) And I am pretty sure Panasonic is also targeting those shooters because the GH5 does not overheat, unlimited shooting, good battery life and small.

Though I haven't used the camera yet, bottom line is video AF on this camera looks like it sucks and Panasonic needs to really focus on fixing it on their next GH camera and some other one or two things to really stand toe to toe with it's competitors.

• I agree the autofocus was touted as being much improved so I have tried it out over the past few days and can never get good - consistant results...and that means it is not good enough to rely on.

There are so many settings, so many focus options...and I have tried them all...if it is too fast and sensitve it will change focus quick enough but then hunts around too much for the next focus spot...if you set it too low it sticks on one subject and takes an age to wake up and realise it needs to focus on something else...

I wanted to use it for run and gun situations but I wouldnt be able to trust it not missing a shot. I will as usual stick with manual focus....or narrow the aperture so much that everything is in focus in the first place!!

• @Imackreath, I don't rely on auto focus most of the time but when I do, I want it work. I have used the auto focus on canon and sony cameras on numerous occasions on paid jobs and it worked flawlessly. Actually each time I have a paid job, I turn to rent either a canon (most of the time) or sony for one key reason. When I need my auto focus, it will work.

• @HillTop1

I totally disagree with you! Gh5 is nothing like the A6500 or XT 2 which are basically good only for test videos, anything more than a couple of minutes of recording and they are useless. Also, none of them have any real pro video functions like the GH5 does, 10 bit 4:2:2, 60p 4K, 180 fps etc, etc. Panasonic specifically didn't use phase detect pixels on the sensor cause they degrade the image quality. I'm perfectly fine with a very good image + MF with good assist and AF-S. I wholdn't trade image quality and functionality over AF-C, ever period!

• Panasonic specifically didn't use phase detect pixels on the sensor cause they degrade the image quality. I'm perfectly fine with a very good image + MF with good assist and AF-S. I wholdn't trade image quality and functionality over AF-C, ever period!

Well, Panasonic could use dual pixel approach Canon uses. It does not lead to any quality degradation.

• I think some of those complaining first should understand the AF settings for video. They need to understand "Lock On" and "Sensitive". We have not seen something like that before and it really helps.

• @Eno “Panasonic specifically didn't use phase detect pixels on the sensor cause they degrade the image quality.”

Ture! Then Panasonic needs to go back to its engineers because image quality in 4k 24p coming from an A6500, especially the XT-2 (which both by the way use phase detect) is on par or even better than the current 4.2.2 footage coming from the GH5. I am hoping that the 400Mbps update in summer will make the difference.

Let’s be clear about one thing; I am not trashing the GH5. It’s a great camera. Panasonic has done some really great improvements and firsts with the camera and I really commend them for that. But they also left out something equally as important, video AF. For my style of shooting, I will not choose it over the canon cameras I always rent, or sony and now XT-2 because I occasionally rely on video AF. The GH5 has many real pro features that those cameras don’t have and will appreciate. Until Panasonic addresses video AF, I will always use the GH cameras for my “toy” shoots. All Sony and Fuji needs to do is add 4.2.2 60p 4k, good touch screen etc etc on their next camera and where’s it gonna leave the GH5 with it sucky video AF? Remember when the GH4 came out and you were hearing 4.2.2 10bit external recording and all that stuff, what happened to the quality of that signal?

Fact of the matter is companies like sony, canon and fuji understand that there’s a growing segment of shooters out there that need and want good video AF and they are working to improve it while Panasonic just keep hunting literally for it.

I have a gig in a week that I am using a fuji xt-2 (testing it out) and though I will appreciate all the good pro features the GH5 has to offer, I will not trade the XT-2 for a GH5 because I will need to rely on the AF on XT-2 at some point during the shoot.

Again to be fair, I have not tried the camera. But all the reviews I am seeing online don’t point to a video AF system that’s remotely reliable.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Totally agree, but the Canon dual Pixel tech is patented and probably not to be shared with the others. :(

@HillTop1 "Then Panasonic needs to go back to its engineers because image quality in 4k 24p coming from an A6500, especially the XT-2 (which both by the way use phase detect) is on par or even better than the current 4.2.2 footage coming from the GH5."

IMO, the GH5 video video is far superior to any DSLM to date, except probably at very high ISO. I really don't care about continuous AF, cause it's not reliable enough for my needs. Not even the parsed Canon dual pixel tech. And you know way? Cause the camera doesn't read my mind to know what I want to be in focus an when. That's why nothing beats a good manual focus. :)

• Just to clarify I never said it was a bad camera and specifically said it is not a deal breaker. That being said it is regrettable that there seem to be issues with CAF in video specifically. My point was it would be a lot easier to part with $2000 if the CAF was a little more dependable.

• @Eno

Totally agree, but the Canon dual Pixel tech is patented and probably not to be shared with the others. :(

Already shared with Sony and Sony shared with Samsung. So, possible.

• @HillTop1

Where specifically do you use AF in video that is so much important to you. I just wonder, since most people (maybe I'm wrong) use DSLR-s and later mirrorless in fashion similar to cinema cameras. That kind of usage is what pushed video in photo cameras from 7d onwards, and that is what we look for today. I might be living under the rock though.

• Ah OK Panasonic did bad AF because we dont need it after all. I just wander why they bother to announce "fake" improvements in AF while we dont need them.

This logic sounds like a typical canon funboy's ballshit :)

• I know two camera manufacturers who have sinusoid like (starts very high and ends on usual "it'll do" level) people anticipation considering AF before each new camera and both start with P - Pentax and Panasonic.

• @inqb8tr

I think increasingly people want autofocus for using the camera on a gimbal system. Decent autofocus (or none) fine if shooting with deep DOF, but even better if you can lock on to a subject and keep a nice blurred background, or select with wireless app to seamlessly, smoothly shift focus.

• Why do some people find it unacceptable for us to expect Panasonic to be competitive the bar has been raised by Sony and Canon? Especially when I have to exclusively buy Panasonic Lenses for DFD to get inferior results.

• @theconformist

Thanks, that sounds like reasonable request even though maybe a bit too much to ask for IMO. Boundaries are blurred today between categories, we want all of them to do everything, in random price range. I'm having hard time to really find justifications for all those requests from single device.

What camera provides that kind of continuous AF tracking performance that you can absolutely rely on?

• If any of you Spanish readers get offered a Lumix GH5 with the serial no. of WG-PP001244 and a SLR Magic 35mm T2.4 Anamorphic lens then you know where it came from as I was mugged today in Barcelona.

• @driftwood

Will keep an eye out. You ok?