Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @Imackreath, I don't rely on auto focus most of the time but when I do, I want it work. I have used the auto focus on canon and sony cameras on numerous occasions on paid jobs and it worked flawlessly. Actually each time I have a paid job, I turn to rent either a canon (most of the time) or sony for one key reason. When I need my auto focus, it will work.

• I agree the autofocus was touted as being much improved so I have tried it out over the past few days and can never get good - consistant results...and that means it is not good enough to rely on.

There are so many settings, so many focus options...and I have tried them all...if it is too fast and sensitve it will change focus quick enough but then hunts around too much for the next focus spot...if you set it too low it sticks on one subject and takes an age to wake up and realise it needs to focus on something else...

I wanted to use it for run and gun situations but I wouldnt be able to trust it not missing a shot. I will as usual stick with manual focus....or narrow the aperture so much that everything is in focus in the first place!!

• Panasonic them self say it will make a great vlogging camera

"...this camera should never be in the hands of a simple vlogger..."

Actually it should because serious vloggers who have a good following on youTube turn to use good cameras: 5D III and IV, A7s III etc as their main camera. And yes they also have rx100 kind cameras for when they can't use their main cameras. (Yes there are vloggers too who have a huge following who don't use such cameras) And I am pretty sure Panasonic is also targeting those shooters because the GH5 does not overheat, unlimited shooting, good battery life and small.

Though I haven't used the camera yet, bottom line is video AF on this camera looks like it sucks and Panasonic needs to really focus on fixing it on their next GH camera and some other one or two things to really stand toe to toe with it's competitors.

• If you bought this camera and are serious about producing professional results, you shouldnt care less about its auto focus features...I like auto focus as and when i feel lazy but I would never ever really on it for any paid work...and that would be true if I owned any Sony or Canon. No matter how good autofocus is on any camera it does not have AI...it cannot instinctivley know where you want the focus to be...unless you tell it.....manually

• "Another selling point of the GH5 is that it's a good vlogging camera."

People say this is a good vlogging camera...seriously?..why would someone pay so much for such great camera to basically do video selfies with?..all in iauto mode with autofocus?

If you want to do vlogging get a sony rx100 or something similar...this camera should never be in the hands of a simple vlogger...

• @Eno, this camera does not compete with Arri, RED, BMC. It's competitors ie A6500, XT2, some of Canon DSLRs all have way better AF. Another selling point of the GH5 is that it's a good vlogging camera. But if the AF sucks, then what good of a vlogging camera is it? To be fair I have not seen or played with the camera yet but all the test from others point to a back AF system. And yes it has other key features that other cameras don't have but for my kind of shooting, I will occasionally want a good AF system.

• @Scot

Arry, RED, the BMC feature no AF what so ever and nobody is complaining about that. :)

• So as long as we shoot everything on a white background with a wide lens were good : ) . Got to say for the money the GH5 costs it's disappointing. Not to say it's a deal breaker but CAF seems to be the Achilles heel for Panasonic and makes spending $2000 a little less palatable.

• I enjoyed this first impression review cause the author left the camera on AUTO and finally I could see how detailed the 4K really is and how good are the Panasonic colors (at the end there is a good skin tone reference).

• Comparing the GH5 Vlog-L profile with the Standard Profile in my garden this evening..all settings in the video description

• more testing of the vlog-l view assist function

• Very first Field Monitor App for GH5 for IOS available

• With a modified cheap lens CCTV.

• Are the Sandisk v30 90 & 95mb/s sd cards good enough for 400mb fw update for GH5 or does it have to be the v60s?

• I'm in need of a speed booster/smart apaptor for my sigma 18-35 but it seems the GH5 is not compatible with the Metabones ones just yet. Anybody know about any of the other options that are working? Commlite, Kipon etc? I want a smart adaptor / speed booster, that works with the 18-35 and allows IBIS to work internally.