Personal View site logo
Cheap ColorChecker chart alternative

• ColorChecker like colors
    • 24 colors
    • 21.5cm x 14.7cm
    • Package weight - 146g
    • $19 only including shipping

Note - do not use ColorChecker references for this, but for matching shots across different takes, places or cameras it works perfect.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Professional-24-Color-Card-Test-Color-Balancing-Card-Palette-Board-for-Superior-Digital-Color-Correction-Photography/32838095942.html

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • I have this one. Well built and does the job you described.

• @inqb8tr can you describe your workflow with this chart? does it work with davinci resolve? It has got the same pattern as the x-rite color checker classic chart.

• It works with Resolve, I'll try to make a short video about it, and workflow

• Nice find VK =)

• Certainly will be getting one. Thanks.

• Video made by @inqb8tr for PV channel, big thanks to him

• good to see that it works the way it's supposed to-

Do the colors stain from human touch the way the x-rite's do? My first one got a slight discoloration from when I first got it and accidentally touched one of the tiles?

• @shian

Definitely not by just touching or lightly rubbing.

• Thanks. Really good price for such.

• Nice find. Ordered.

• @inqb8tr A big Thank you for the video! Definitely helpful and encourages me to start learning Resolve!

• Ordered and compared it to the Xrite Color Checker Passport. Although the Cheap Colorchecker is supposed to show the same colors, it unfortunately doesn't . Saturation of the colors on the Cheap Colorchecker is noticeable lower than on the x-rite (because of cheaper inks/a cheaper printing process?).

I'm attaching a test photographs (shot raw on a Sony A7s, converted to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter). Both attached images have been color-corrected in Davinci Resolve using the automatic color chart matching function. The first picture was corrected by putting the color match grid on the Xrite passport, the second picture was corrected by putting it on the Cheap Color Checker.

So, in a nutshell, you can still use the Cheap Color Checker to gain consistent colors in a project/match different cameras and shooting situations. However, it doesn't produce accurate colors when used as a drop-in replacement for an Xrite Color Checker, and shouldn't be used in a mix with Xrites.

(Personally, I'd rather pay the extra $40-50 for an Xrite passport. On top of being better/more accurate, it also self-contained in a light-sealed folding case which prevents colors from bleaching out in light. )

The original DNG is here: http://data.pleintekst.nl/eyephoto-vs-xrite.dng

xrite-balanced_1.1.1.jpg
    1062 x 710 - 262K
    eyephoto-balanced_1.2.1.jpg
    1062 x 710 - 247K
  • @cantsin

Actually it was in original message.

do not use ColorChecker references for this, but for matching shots across different takes, places or cameras it works perfect.

And more fun for you will be that Xrite Color Checker Passport references are also not made in stone, they are pretty consistent, but they had at least one or two mayor changes.

See http://www.babelcolor.com/colorchecker.htm

I can also give one more tip.

You can get set of free car/home paint samples in any good shop, they are very consistent. And just use carton and glue to make your own color chart.

On top of being better/more accurate, it also self-contained in a light-sealed folding case which prevents colors from bleaching out in light. )

But it is also smaller :-)

You can get handy thin plastic black box in any good store who sell plastic stuff.

• Hi, I know it's silent here for a while now, but I hope someone follows this thread. I've bought that color checker and I tried to use it with my Lumix G7 (Cinelike-D profile) and this is what happened:

it completely mismatched the colors. It happened with two shots I made, but in two other ones it worked ok. I'm thinking what could cause that? Is there anything I should take care before taking the reference shot?

EDIT: I've tried a lot of different settings, source/targets gammas etc. the effects are different a little bit, but more or less it's just grey dark image like in the video

• @matt_nomatter

Tool you used must be used with original colorchecker, not with cheap one.

if you check video here it is mentioned - cheap is good for color matching and such.

• sure, I don't expect miracles, however in the video you posted it worked pretty ok and I have no idea what did I wrong with this particular shot. Also it worked pretty ok in other shots. I just want to know if there is any factor that I have to be careful about before taking a shot