Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • Bits of dynamic range? What a joke!!! Bit depth has nothing to do with dynamic range.

• While it makes not much sense how they say it, 2bits would be equal to two stops in linear light, you can't really tell for log without keeping the curve in mind.

Statement was precise. "Two bits more dynamic range actually". No one talked about images, only about dynamic range.

• @caveport in linear light, it has :)

@Vitaliy_Kiselev In which way is it precise, though? In which way did the DR increase when it's not about images? Only because we have more values? :)

• GH5 V-LogL activation posted at the Panny site...
    Panny app updated yesterday...
    I guess the release is getting close.
    http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/enhance/gh5/index.html

• My code came in the post this morning!!interested to see how you import luts into the camera though..it gives a link to download a lut but doesnt mention how to import it

• From http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dynamic-range.htm

In effect, dynamic range can be thought of as the height of a staircase whereas bit depth can be thought of as the number of steps.

This is a small but important distinction. Dynamic range is not measured in digital bits. It is the contrast ratio between the darkest and lightest parts of an image. How many 'bits' of dynamic range in analogue film? Answer = none.

• In linear light, the amount of bits you have equals the number of stops you can save. So when you shoot linear (which the GH5 doesn't obviously), "two bits more" make perfect sense. And that's what I meant in the first place Don't know why you pull unrelated articles and comparisons to analogue film, has nothing to do with each other.

• Is it worth it getting vlog if I'm not going to be recording to an external source? I'll be going straight to card in 10bit.

• @monowav from playing with the 10 bit footage I can say it is a lot more gradable and a lot less prone to banding than the 8 bit stuff was on the GH4. that, along with the 400mb firmware upgrade in the summer will make it a valuable tool i feel for serious graders

• In effect, dynamic range can be thought of as the height of a staircase whereas bit depth can be thought of as the number of steps.

This is a small but important distinction. Dynamic range is not measured in digital bits. It is the contrast ratio between the darkest and lightest parts of an image.

The staircase analogy is pretty good. The magnitude of the dynamic range is the ratio of the lightest to the darkest part of the range. But in your staircase analogy, the darkest possible value is the lowest point on the staircase - the floor. The height there is zero, at least for linear or gamma-type encodings. You can't take a ratio of something to zero. It's undefined. So instead we use the height of the first step as the darkest possible value. So now you see that making that first step smaller does increase the ratio. Though the actual increase also depends on the OETF (gamma curve). In a linear encoding, every bit you add halves the height of the first step and doubles the magnitude of the dynamic range. Dynamic range is not measured in bits, but there is a relationship between them.

Though practically, the bottom few steps are too noisy to use, and so it's not the height of the bottom step that determines the dynamic range. The lowest step that's not too noisy is the bottom of the dynamic range. No one agrees about how noisy is too noisy, so dynamic range measurements are not standardized.

• Off-topic low lighting, but good job!

• GH5 vs A6300 test:

• Ok so here is a link to the advanced users manual for the GH5

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/dscoi/DC-GH5/EG_EC_EF_EB/DC-GH5_DVQP1121ZA_eng.pdf

I looked for info on the Vlog-assist function, and it says it will only recognise .vlt files (ON PAGE 186)

so i am used to using cube files...is there some simple conversion software?

• GH5 video noise test:

As an observation, there is definitely more noise in the 10 bit file compared to the 8 bit, I wander why?

• So bored of usual Vloggers about GH5? Lets have some fun instead...

• Definitely the most entertaining GH5 vid to date. Solid Nick! And the freestyle was insane!

• @Eno The GH5 is a great 1080p performer! Huge jump up from the last few models.

• Does the GH5 use always continuous AF in 6k photo start/stop (video) mode? So no AFS with half shutter press. GH4 works this way. GH5 manual is not very clear about this.

• @driftwood...terrific and entertaining!

• @Cde Yes, both the 4K and FHD image looks fantastic, even in low light I'd say. :)