Personal View site logo
Xiaomi Mi Air, same as Apple but cheaper
  • 56 Replies sorted by
  • I am kinda done with Apple. After CFreak suggested building a hackintosh I see no point in purchasing the desktops that are totally week in multiple areas. 6 months ago my son wanted to switch from Mac to PC I asked him why and he said he wanted to play games and Macs suck for that. Anyways I ended up purchasing this computer for him.

ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW 15.6-Inch 4K Touchscreen Laptop (Core i7-6700HQ CPU, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, GTX960M GPU, Thunderbolt III, Windows 10 Home)

This computer smokes most if not all of the MacBook Pro's and had all of the latest and greatest tech at just about half the price. Apple Computers can go take a hike. They used to be good but now they just give you substandard components and then to slap you in the face they charge you a ridiculous amount on top of that. Left all the professionals high and dry!!!! I am so over Apple they can kiss my ass.

Oh and look at the pricing on this computer... PFFFT Apple Please.... 13.3" model is $750, Core i5-6200U/GeForce 940MX/8GB RAM/256GB SSD, 40Wh battery, 0.6" thick, 2.8 pounds

• @Azo I didn't suggest building a Hackintosh (in this thread ;-) but your point is very valid and since I may need a laptop spec'd for video editing in Premiere CC at some point, I may have to switch to windows myself.

• TonyMac does have a thread on trying to Hackintosh it. THe GPU is usually the issue with the laptops, so far there are very few laptops that can be Hackintoshed and are suitable for video editing. I have yet to find a modern one…

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/xiaomi-mi-notebook-air.198598/

• as noted earlier, this notebook has been hackintoshed, but without touchpad, bluetooth or WLAN... which makes it pretty crippled for now with OSX. https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/index.php/Thread/29236-Xiaomi-12-5/?pageNo=13

That said, I own the 12,5 model running Win10 and I really like it, quite a bargain to boot. I would NEVER edit a film on a laptop unless I absolutely had to anyway. This notebook is just for simple stuff on-the-road, and for that it is a dream, at under 1kg and NO foooking advertising logos all over it. Thank you, Xiaomi!

• Touchpad and bluetooth now working, only wlan has to be solved with usb-WIFI. OSX very speedy on this laptop!

see: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-xiaomi-mi-notebook-air-12-for-newbies-almost-there.213606/

• Audio is crippled and TP is slow. I've gone the hackintosh route many times before. Trust me on this one - Apple laptops are worth the money. Buy a used Macbook Air if you want one.

Hackintosh is only valuable for desktops.

• @ zcream don't have to "trust you" on this one(!) I've got this laptop and for 2 weeks now running OSX without a hiccup. Only problem is the WiFi, as noted

YES, I too have built a dozen Hackintoshes: what you say is true as far as desktops being much easier to adapt to OSX... but yr claim that Apple Laptops are "worth the money"??? No way, unless you are one of the filthy rich! I got my Xiaomi for 460 Euros three months ago, the build quality is excellent and OSX screams on this laptop. These Xiaomi laptops have quite a (justified) enthusiastic following, which is why the price has gone up. I would never edit a film on the 12,5 inch model but for everything else I am really happy with this baby.

• @ninetto - is it possible to run a fully functional FCPX on the Xiaomi? I'd be interested in that....

• @tubefingers I am not running FCPX on my laptop, but the poster at this thread reports his experience using FCPX. Mind you, he is running OSX on an external USB 3 hard-drive for testing purposes and hasn't updated that thread (problems, solutions) for a while. What is great about this little lappy is it has an extra internal SATA port which after adding another SSD should really help with renders, swap files.

The 13.3 inch Xiamo is a much more powerful beast, also for the screen size this would be what I would get if I wanted to edit on a laptop. Only about 150$ more expensive than the 12,5 model and this guy "Claudes Tech" seems to have everything working. (except internal wifi)

Mind you, if you never have had experience configuring Hackintosh, esp. laptops, it can be daunting at first, like zscream hinted at.

• Cool afforable note. Need to try it.

• Here some info and benchmarks for the 13 inch model. I have the cheaper 12,5 inch version.

• I'm not sure I understand why anyone would want to take a perfectly good, powerful, inexpensive Window OS laptop, and then bastardize it to run Apple's crappy OS? ;-)

For you Apple freaks: Please take this as the joke it is intended to be. But...let's not lose track of the fact that this is a light, sleek, powerful laptop at a great price.

• @jjj_ri_usa and @azo....totally agree ! It took me a while to adapt . Windows 7 was, and still is, very functional....but I'm lovin' 10 ! And when the new amd chips are fully available, we should see even more capable windows machines for even less money !

• @jjjriusa I can see your point, but as the original post I linked to describes: if you have to edit a film on a laptop, FCPX is just so much more resource-efficient than all current editing software, and runs of course only on OSX. The other reason? Very often colleagues/clients in the graphic/film world are locked into Apple and its formats/programs, so that it is very handy to have a portable Hackintosh in addition to a desktop whatever.

• @ninetto Kudos to you for jumping through all the hoops required to get OSX running. For a lot of folks that would be too much time fiddling with Hacking an OS, when they'd rather be filming. ;-) But, for some folks, creating Hackintosh's is a joyful hobby. ;-) I respect your ability to do it, and get what you need out of the Xiaomi. Enjoy. Curious: How does Resolve fare against FCPX? Much more of a resource hog? Never used FCPX, and almost never touch an OSX device.

• Updated version

• Intel Core i5-7200U Kaby Lake processor
    • NVIDIA GeForce MX150 (GT 1030 analog)
    • 1920 x 1080 IPS display
    • 2.8 pounds
    • 0.6 inches thick and
    • 8GB of RAM (you can update to 16GB)
    • 128GB or 256GB SSD
    • 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.1
    • HDMI output (2.0b)
    • Headphones output
    • 2 USB 3.0 ports, USB-C port
    • Fingerprint sensor.
    • Price will start at $730
  • The Air 13 (kaby) i ordered from gearbest arived today. It is for my son and i plan to install Win10 on it (but also looking the hackintosh forums for i5-7200u+MX150).

• @mitkoo

Cool, make sure to post some feedback after few days of work.

• Update to new CPUs

New Mi Notebook Air supports an Intel Core i5-8250U or Core i7-8550U processor and features NVIDIA GeForce MX150 graphics, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, and 256GB of PCIe solid state storage.

It has a 1920 x 1080 pixel display with 5.6mm bezels, AKG speakers, 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.1, USB Type-C and Type-A ports, an HDMI port, a headset jack, and an estimated 7.5 hours of battery life while web browsing or watching videos.

Preorders at https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Mi-Notebook-Air-i5-8250U-8GB-256GB-Gray-392086.html

sa1502.jpg
    676 x 546 - 39K
    sa1503.jpg
    791 x 526 - 57K
  • Xiaomi Notebook Air Quad-Core i7 version coming

• 13.3" IPS 1920 × 1080 Screen covered with Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    • 4 core i7-8550U
    • 8Gb RAM
    • 256GB PCle SSD
    • NVIDIA GeForce MX150 GPU with 2GB GDDR5 memory
    • 578Wh battery
    • USB-C, 2x USB 3.0, HDMI, 3.5mm jack
    • 1.3kg
    • 14.8mm thickness
    • 5999 Yuan ($945) price
    • Will be available on the 27th of February
    sa1919.jpg
    390 x 500 - 38K
  • And here is Huawei variant (same config as newest Air)

sa1931.jpg
    694 x 401 - 50K
  • Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13.3 8GB/256GB/GEFORCE MX150 for $758

New best price

https://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_648196.html