Personal View site logo
Panasonic Lumix GH5 Testing Requests
  • My name is Tyler Knight, I am a Lumix Ambassador and LumixStories.ca Storyteller in Canada.

I will be receiving a pre-production unit to test next week and want to put it through its paces. I will have access to the body, xlr adapter, battery grip, and the new 12-60 Leica kit lens.

Please comment below with your test requests and any specifics and I will do my best to accommodate! Let me know the features that you're really excited to see, and features you've seen examples of but have questions about. I will have it for approximately 2-3 weeks and will be doing a daily vlog showcasing as much as possible.

As stated in the other thread, I have many scheduled shoots already as I am a full time videographer/photographer and will be using this as a chance to really see how it performs in a real-world setting!

Once the requests come in and videos come out, I would like to assemble them in a stickied post at the top of this thread if possible with the type of test, and the link beside it (eg. GH5 low light comparision to GH4 and G85)

I have a large collection of vintage lenses I will be testing, as well as comparing lumix lenses across my other Lumix cameras such as GH4, G85 (G80) and GX85 (GX80)

Looking forward to hearing your requests!

• 109 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry I haven't been active lately! I have been away on a shoot.

I finally finished up editing a few videos from my testing with the GH5 shooting snowboarding, and skateboarding!

I'm going to share them one at a time starting with this one from Mont-Tremblant in Quebec, Canada. It was about a 9 hour drive from where I live in some of the worst snow I have ever driven in personally!

I'm really happy with how the camera handled at the mountain especially considering I didn't even bring a tripod or stabilizer. The entire video was shot handheld riding and stationary shots and worked incredibly!

There are shots using 4k 24P 4:2:2 10bit, but mostly 4K 60p and a few HD 180fps slow motion shots!

• Shot in 4K UHD 10 bit 4:2:2 24p and 1080 180fps 24p (upscaled to 4k)

Mostly Standard profile, but some v-log graded files as well.

Lenses used: Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 MKI w/ Variable ND filter Lumix/Leica 45mm f2.8 macro

• @driftwood

Just saw you post that, it looks incredible!!!

• Anamorphic 6KPhoto mode at 30p with my Intravenus2 3DLUT quick test... RAW like!!! :-)

• Hehe, Tyler, thanks man, but please test only what you think is important for you personally. Only do my suggestions when you think it's the best thing to do with your time. - I'm not a pro.

Your 1080 reporting is very interesting! Looking forward to the arial shots and the study into shadow detail compression. Recendly I saw a few 8 and 10 bit shots going from medium to high ISO, and I was surprised to see the 8 bit looked much less noisier in the shadow areas. Where the 10 shined in the low ISOs.

I wonder if there is a sort of practical lower ISO limit for 10bit? And can the 10 bit noise be easily, and nicely cleaned up? Is there a difference in 10 and 8 bit file sizes, shooting same scene? Do noisier files have a higher bitrate?

Just thinking out loud, but just pick what you find truly interesting. Enjoy shooting!

• Also just wanted to point out something I noticed while shooting yesterday. The 1080 from the GH5 at 100mbps is INSANE I was blown away by the quality of the codec and how well it holds up. It looks MUCH better than any of the 1080 modes on the GH4. I filmed a funeral service with it (yes, morbid, and no I can't share that footage) but I will try and shoot some more in 1080 to showcase how nice it looks!

• @cas1

Shooting some videos today for you to test noise compression in shadows :)

as for Continuous, I am going to hold off on any AF testing as the 0.5 firmware is nowhere near the level the production firmware will be so it won't be very accurate to test.

• Sorry everyone I've been slammed with shoots this week and haven't gotten a chance to test as much as I can. I have to send the camera back Monday afternoon, but am going to be shooting today and tomorrow, and then sending the GH5 up on an octacopter on Monday to do some aerial tests!

I will do my best to reply to everyone's requests

• @tylerknight the dual IS on the MKI looks encouragingly good!

• Yes, to pour it into a question:

Can you please test the different Continuous Auto Focus tuning settings? Can you compare this to other camera's? Help these settings enough to do interviews with a shallow depth of field? (like Philip Bloom has been testing).

I've heard the current firmware version is 0.5 so I wonder if this already works, or will we have to wait before this can be tested.

• @cas1

It is topic to post only requests and such, is this video for similar purpose?

• For the focussing testing:

• @tylerknight Thanks for the slow-mo footage in std profile! Compared to 8 bit v-log samples I've played with, these seem much more solid.

If you have a 10 or 20 second long original file you can drop somewhere for download that would also be appreciated. Trying to see how far I can push the native file with CC (120P or 180P). Thanks again.

• @tylerknight Great news about the SD card and thanks for your evaluation about the lenses. Looking forward about the file sizes. Thanks for doing all the work.

• Here's a direct comparison of the MK1 and MK2 version of the 12-35 lenses.

I used a Ronin-M again and did a running test to really get the stabilizer working hard. I think the Dual IS 2 is the clear winner in the test, but let me know what you think!

I am going to put a handheld one togehter shortly, but it will be short as I just had to send the lens back to Panasonic!

• @davjd - thanks for the link, but what an odd way to present data. No lens in the chart has an "NG" value (Unworkable) and there is no indication of what the "-" dash means. Perhaps it means they haven't settled on a firmware version? Or that it is not workable...which is difficult to do with a single compatibility column (and two versions of DIS). Ugh.

• I've also been looking at this list, http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/dual_is.html - which I think is up to date

• Ok - if I look at that list above the old 14-140/F4.0-5.8 Mk1 isn't mentioned. So, no chance for Dual IS1....!?

• hm ...Hardware??? Thanks for info @davjd . How could I be so naive! They discovered this now? Im out.

• @konjow I knew same news, but I looked at

around 27:25 and discovered they changed their minds.

• as I know 12-35 v1 will be updated which is the main good move from Panasonic I hope that good AF will not be mostly marketing thing.

Panas IS.png
    1840 x 1066 - 653K
  • I think a lot of people here wants to see which is the concrete difference between dual is v1 and dual is v2, since Panasonic "decided" not to firmware upgrade the first generation of lenses - such as the 12-35 mk1- leaving them with dual is v1 only. Testing and comparing footage of 12-35 mk1 vs mk2 on a gimbal can give us an idea, but I would suggest to do the same test with handheld shooting, if possible. So we can finally know if we can keep our beloved old lenses and take advantage of dual is as well. - edit: I saw your clip, and you did an handheld comparison. So what is your impression, is there a visible difference between dual is v1 and v2?

• @AKED

I actually use The SanDisk Extreme Pluss 80MB/s UHSI for everything. I have shot every single mode with them and had no issues whatsoever! 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 150mb/s no issues!

https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-Extreme-UHS-1-Memory-SDSDXS-032G-X46/dp/B00D6Y0U8E

I would say the 12-35 and 12-60 are different beasts. The constant f2.8 aperture is a requirement for some, as the 12-60 is f3.8 at 35mm so that's something to consider.

As far as optics go the 12-60 is obviously a much higher quality lens due to being Leica designed, as well as being solid metal and feels amazing.

I will have to get back to you on file sizes!

• @tylerknight Some more questions:

What SD cards do you use? What UHSII cards can be used? 150 MB/s or are 300 MB/s needed?

What is the filesize? In my GH4 a 4K file of 1 Minute is about 800-900 MB large. How large is a 1 Minute 4K 50/60p file of the GH5 (h264)? And in comparison a 1 Minute file in 6K file in h265?

Does it make sense, to cange an old 12-35 lens Version I to the new 12-60 2.8-4?

Thanks for the good work

• Yes, thank you very much for testing. Very interesting.