Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • Looks like an interesting process used by James Miller, burning a lut in, using an external recorder and producing some nice footage. I'm sure the Zeiss Otus helps too :)

• We get so many video samples. Is it possible from people who have access to a GH5 also to post some photos or a link to photos, especially to pictures with people, to se how the GH5 handles skintones. Thanks.

• Panasonic GH5 - Picture Profiles [Photo Style]

• I was watching Gordon's market and night street footage with the CineD profile, and I wonder if you could preserve highlight (roll of) by adjusting the curves, contrast or some other way?

The VlogL preserves the HL very nicely, with a smooth roll-off.

• @markr041

In terms of HFR, the GH5 does not seem to be an advance in quality over what we can get now with a number of Sony cameras.

Well you first have 60 fps more, and not such a critical rollingshutter, that's things to consider. The quality is not amazing, I'm with you on that, but I'd treat it not as THE feature that seperates it from others like Sony. The seperation comes from rolling shutter (!) and recordable information (bitdepth, subsampling) :)

• I liked the 4K UHD "Borough Market" example. However, I thought the HFR examples (which I downloaded and watched) were not very good quality, certainly no better than the Sony RX series 120P 1080 videos, and likely worse. In terms of HFR, the GH5 does not seem to be an advance in quality over what we can get now with a number of Sony cameras.

• 180 fps with 100-400 and 12-35 handheld

• Indeed very promising ...

• Nice .. Looking very promising.

• @philiplipetz , do you know what NR setting was used in the GH4 vs GH5 ISO test posted by you?

• @philiplipetz Agreed. Late night non-filtered after-party comment removed...

• And the whole point of the video is that James Miller is showing a new way of using the GH5 to deliver finished images with the grading of Vlog done in the external recorder as it records. I think it is magnificent and a real game changer for quick delivery of finished footage. This LUT technique is enough to get me to purchase a 4K external recorder. It is a total game changer for wedding and event videographers who need the DR of Vlog but do not have the time for grading in post. It vastly increases the utility of the GH5. Look at the difference between this technique and the results in the last half of the video that were recorded internally.

• @spacewig. This is not an appropriate response. This is not a place for your infantile objectification of the wife of a highly respected DP.

• @cas1 you are wellcome.

• This comparison has been a bit disappointing to me. Unless they inverted the names, an explanation could be that we notice noise in the darker areas, which don't move, and the 4:2:2 10bit 150Mbps signal gathers more information instead of macroblocking and messing up the image. Maybe the more experts can give a better explanation.

• Interesting... in the above video, GH5 is way noisier (iso3200 and 6400) than the GH4...