Personal View site logo
Fujifilm X-T2, limited 4K camera
  • 140 Replies sorted by
  • New firmware info

FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) will release free firmware updates for the FUJIFILM X-Pro2 (“X-Pro2”) and FUJIFILM X-T2 (“X-T2”) double flagship models of the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras. The first one is due in late March and the second will be due late May 2017, reflecting users’ requests for improving operability and adding new functions. Applying the firmware updates will add new functions such as “Voice Memo” and “Copyright Information“, and dramatically improve operability in autofocus, video recording and viewfinder handling.

X-T2 version 2.00 & X-Pro2 version 3.00 – due late March 2017

1. Shooting RAW in Bracketing and Advanced Filters
      The update enables you to use the RAW format when shooting not only in AE Bracketing but also in other Bracketing modes (ISO, Dynamic Range, White Balance, Film Simulaitons) and also in Advanced Filter modes.
    2. Extended ISO 125 and 160 selectable
      The update adds ISO125 and ISO160 to extended ISO levels available.
    3. Programmable long exposure of up to 15 minutes
      Long exposure in the T mode currently goes only up to 30 seconds. The update will allow users to extend it up to 15 minutes.
    4. ON/OFF for 1/3-step shutter speed adjustment (X-T2 only – already in X-Pro2)
      The update allows you to turn off the Command Dial’s function to adjust shutter speed by 1/3 steps in order to prevent unintended adjustments.
    5. Full-range ISO adjustments with the Command Dial (X-T2 only)
      With the update, set the ISO “A” position to “Command” to adjust ISO sensitivity across the full range, including extended ISOs, with the Front Command Dial.
    6. “AUTO” setting added for the minimum shutter speed in the ISO Auto setting
      The update adds an AUTO option for the minimum shutter speed in the ISO Auto setting, that allows the camera to automatically define the minimum shutter speed according to the focal length of the lens attached.
    7. Faster “Face Detection AF”
      The update enables the use of Phase Detection AF for faster performance in Face Detection AF.
    8. Improved in-focus indication in the AF-C mode
      The update reduces focus hunting in the AF-C mode, making it easier to track a subject.
    9. Addition of a smaller Focus Point size in Single Point AF
      The update adds a smaller Focus Point size in Single Point AF, bringing the total number of available sizes to six. The new smallest size facilitates pin-point focusing.
    10. Addition of “AF Point Display” (X-Pro2 only – already on X-T2)
      With the update, you can choose to have AF Points constantly displayed in Zone AF and Wide / Tracking AF, making it easier to track a subject.
    11. Addition of “AF-C Custom Setting” (X-Pro2 only – already on X-T2)
      The update adds “AF-C Custom Setting” for specifying focus-tracking characteristics. Choose from five presets according to your subject’s type of movements.
    12. Addition of “Portrait / Landscape AF Mode Switching” (X-T2 only)
      The update allows you to specify separate AF mode and AF point settings for portrait orientation and landscape orientation.
    13. Change of focus frame position while enlarging it
      The update allows you to move the position of focus frame while enlarging it in Single Point in the AF-S mode or in the Manual Focus
    14. Activation of the Eye Sensor in video recording (X-T2 only)
      The update allows you to use the Eye Sensor during video recording to automatically switch between EVF and LCD.
    15. Change of ISO sensitivity during video recording (X-T2 only)
      The update allows you to change ISO setting during video recording.
    16. Re-autofocusing in video recording
      With the update, half-press the Shutter Release button or press the button assigned to “AF-ON” function during video recording to re-do autofocusing.
    17. Display live histogram during video recording (X-T2 only)
      The update allows you to display a live histogram during video recording.
    18. Optimization of external microphone’s input level (X-T2 only)
      The update optimizes external microphone’s input level (lower limit revised from -12dB to 20dB) to reduce white noise when an external microphone with preamp is connected.
    19. Addition of “Eye Sensor + LCD Image Display” in the View Mode
      The update gives the “Eye Sensor + LCD Image Display” option in the View Mode that allows you to shoot through the viewfinder and check images on the LCD, just as you would with an SLR.
    20. Shorter EVF display time-lag (X-Pro2 only – already in X-T2)
      The update shortens EVF’s display time-lag in the AF-C mode so that you will not miss a photo opportunity.
    21. Constant “Dual” mode display (X-T2 only)
      With the update, the small window in the Dual mode stays on even when you half-press the shutter release button.
    22. Automatic vertical GUI for LCD (X-T2 only)
      With the update, when you hold the camera in the portrait orientation, the camera will automatically display the GUI on the LCD in the same orientation.
    23. Name Custom Settings
      The update allows you to assign a specific name to Custom Settings 1 – 7.
    24. Copyright information in EXIF data
      The update allows you to register the photographer’s name and the copyright holder’s name in advance so that the camera automatically adds the information to EXIF data for each image.
    25. Voice Memo function
      The update enable you to record 30-second “Voice Memo” clips in the Playback mode.
    26. Extended AE Bracketing
      The update extends AE Bracketing from the current 3 frames +/-2EV to up to 9 frames +/-3EV.
    27. Addition of “Shoot Without Card” mode
      With the update, you can have the “Shoot Without Card” mode turned OFF so that the camera can not shoot when there is no SD card inserted.

X-T2 version 2.10 & X-Pro2 version 3.10 – late May 2017

1. Support for computer tethering via Wi-Fi (X-T2 only)
      The update adds support for computer tethering via Wi-Fi.
    2. Addition of “All” AF mode (X-T2 only)
      With the update, select “All” in the AF mode so that you can select the AF mode and Focus Area size by only using the Command Dial.
    3. Function extension for “Shutter AF” and “Shutter AE” (X-T2 only)
      With the update, you can specify different settings for AF-S and AF-C in “Shutter AF” and for AF-S / MF and AF-C in “Shutter AE.”
    4. Addition of “-6” and “-7” to EVF’s brightness setting
      Additional options of “-6” and “-7” to the “EVF Brightness” setting so that, even in an extremely low-light condition, the brightness of the EVF does not distract you from shooting.
    5. Switchover of the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode (X-T2 only)
      The update allows you to switch between the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode.
    6. Function assignment to the Rear Command Dial
      With the update, you can assign a specific function to be activated when the Rear Command Dial is pressed.
  • This camera just became my new favorite hybrid camera. I recently took one with the 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 10-24mm f4, and 16-55mm f2.8 a flash on an assignment to Hawaii and I am just blown away by the sharpness of those lenses. Wow amazing! 4k and 1080p video too is very good.

Dear Fuji, hurry up and implement image stabilizers and touch screen in your further X-camera with X-T2 like quality and control and I will throw my money at you.

• New firmware

1. Tether shooting is available by wireless communication
    2. Option of "ALL" is added to AF mode. With this option, select "All" in the AF mode so that you can select the AF mode and Focus Area size by only using the Command Dial.
    3. Function extension for "Shutter AF" and "Shutter AE". With the update, you can specify different settings for AF-S and AF-C in "Shutter AF" and for AF-S / MF and AF-C in "Shutter AE."
    4. Options of "-6" and "-7" are added in the EVF BRIGHTNESS setting. With the additional options, even in an extremely low-light condition, the brightness of the EVF does not distract you from shooting.
    5. Switchover of the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode. The update allows you to switch between the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode.
    6. Function assignment to the Rear Command Dial. You can assign a specific function to be activated when the Rear Command Dial is pressed.
    7. Image transfer speed becomes faster to a smartphone or a tablet from a memory card in the slot 2.
    8. The phenomenon is fixed that in MF mode, a focus can shift in a specified condition (ex. repeated CL shooting).

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt2/index.html

• Very impressive. A company looking out for its existing customers. I doubt that they will ever add IS to the XT series, because it degrades the still image. What I would like to see is a Fujifilm cinema camera with everything the XT-2 has plus IS, in-camera 10-bit 422, XLR input (one would be enough), on-board ND filter, a professional codec, and fully movable touch screen. Even if they never do that, they have shown that they are a contender, putting Canon, Nikon, and Sony to shame.

• Used the XT2 for this bluescreen, seemed to do a great job with just FCP keyer.

• FUJIFILM X-T2: V.3.0 Firmware Key Features Announcement

• New AF tracking algorithm enhances AF-C to track moving subjects half the size, or moving twice as fast as previous models.
    • Supports FUJIFILM X RAW STUDIO which enables users to convert RAW files with X Processor Pro.
    • Improves radio flash controller usability allowing users to shoot with compatible third party studio flash in high speed sync or TTL mode via their radio controllers.
    • Supports backup and restore of camera settings from one camera to another via FUJIFILM X Acquire.
  • New firmware

1. The phenomenon is fixed that in the MF mode, repeated halfway shutter pressing can shift the focus point under a specific exposure condition.
    2. The phenomenon is fixed that in the AF-S mode, repeated halfway shutter pressing can shift the focus point with SHUTTER AF setting OFF.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt2/index.html

• I'm thinking of selling off my Panasonic G85 and buying the XT2 or perhaps the XT20 with the knowldege the XH1 is coming. I've never thought about Fujifilm cameras much but have seen some nice output stills and video as well decent CAF. Anyone make this switch and have an opinion? I'm thinking in the long term I'd be better served by the slightly larger sensor and I like the Fujifilm lens choices and pricing.

• @Scot I made the switch from a GH4 to the Fuji XT2 with no regrets initially. The lowlight performance for the Fuji XT2 is excellent in comparison to a full frame Nikon cameras. In comparison to the GH4 well the GH4 doesn't even compare IMO. Another thing to consider is the Fuji colors and yes it is better then my Nikon D750, Nikon D600 and my Nikon D800 and way better then the GH4 or GH2 that I had. I don't know how lowlight performance compares to the G85 but for me the M/43 sized sensor in general was just a little to small for my liking on the photography side of things.

I did have some problems with my Fuji XT2 and sent the camera back twice for different problems. The first time I sent the camera back was for overheating issues when shooting 4K video. Then when I received the camera back I started to get a bunch of hot pixels when shooting low key portraits. I don't have hot pixels anymore after sending the camera back again, but I am a little hesitant to invest any more into the Fuji system because of these issues. I know for a fact that I am not the only one to experience hot pixels with the Fuji XT2 cameras check out Youtube Zed Pro Media and a couple of other Youtubers have experienced the same problems. If you are considering this camera I would definitely recommend buying the camera new so that you have a warranty on the camera just in case you experience any problems you can have it repaired under warranty.

Based on my experience with Fuji and Panasonic. I think Panasonic cameras are a lot more reliable then the Fuji XT2. This is just something to keep in mind... also Fuji lenses are lot more expensive then Panasonic lenses especially the prime lenses.

I never had any problems with any of my Panasonic cameras or my Nikon cameras and that includes the Nikon D600, D750 that so many people have had problems with. I am just sharing with you the reality of this camera and my experience with this camera. I don't feel confident in terms of the overall reliability of the Fuji XT2 and I also wonder how this camera will hold up with heavy use. I really like the camera, especially the colors straight out of the camera but reliability HMMMMM??.

Hopefully this is helpful in regards to you making a decision one way or another.

• @Azo thanks for the heads up I did read a few people having issues but they seemed more minor than yours. I agree have had nothing but good luck with Panasonic. I didn't think the Fujifilm lenses were that expensive comparatively and given if I have my math right there f2 primes are equivalent to f1.4 for m4/3 one can save putting an economical set of primes together. How do you find the AFC seems more dependable than Panasonic. I should add I have searched around some more and the issues sound like major quality issues. Some people seem to declare no issues and some like you a few. So if I go ahead I will take your advice and buy new in case I get a lemon.

• @Scot I don't use AFC for video and have not tested the AFC in the video mode. The good thing about Fuji though is that they are constantly releasing firmware updates for their cameras. Fuji recently released another firmware update for the XT2 for AFC but I have not had time to test it yet.

In regards to primes I am referring to the 23mm 1.4 35mm1.4, and 56mm 1.2 which are the focal lengths that I would purchase for the Fuji XT2. They are kinda of pricey in comparison to similar focal lengths in comparison to Nikon/Panasonic.

Currently: M/43 Olympus 45mm 1.8 $249.00, Panasonic 25mm1.7 $149.00, Olympus 17mm 1.8 $349.00.

Currently: FF Nikon 35mm 1.8G $529.00 Nikon 50mm 1.8G $216.00 Nikon 85mm 1.8G $476.00

Currently: Fuji 23mm F/2 $449.00 35mm F/2 $399.00 50mm F/2 $449.00

What I have currently for Nikon's: Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Sigma Art 85mm 1.4, Sigma Art 24-105 F/4, Nikon 85mm1.8G, Nikon 50mm 1.8G, Nikon 105mm 2.5 AIS K series, Nikon 70-200 F/2.8, Nikon 70-210 F/4, and the Tokina 100mm Macro 2.8.

What I would personally buy Fuji 23mm 1.4 $799.00 Fuji 35mm 1.4 $549.00 56mm 1.2 $899.00 I use a Metabones regular G adapter and a Mitakon V2 speed booster adapter with my Nikon 50mm 1.8G, 85mm1.8G, and 105 mm 2.5 lenses on the Fuji XT2. Honestly though if I didn't have the problems that I had I would have switched completely to Fuji. The EFV, Colors, Video Quality, Still Imaging, "Wireless Tethering Previewing JPEG Images Only", Lowlight Performance, Weight etc etc.... I could go on and on about everything that this camera brings to the table. I did not invest any more into the Fuji system because of the problems that I experienced. I forgot to mention that my battery grip on the Fuji XT2 is constantly losing the connection and the camera just shuts off and frankly I have not had time to send it in for warranty repair nor do I really want to. I am kinda over the Fuji system because of the problems. To many problems within a short period of time for my liking YMMV but this was my experience with the Fuji XT2.

The only lens I have for Fuji is the 18-55 kit lens which is surprisingly really good. In terms of image quality I would rate it about the same as the Sigma 24-105 with the Sigma having a slight edge in terms of over all sharpness at different focal lengths and into the extreme corners. In order to achieve really good results with Sigma Art Series lenses the dock is MANDATORY.

In terms of overall value it is kinda hard to beat Panasonic in the video arena but Sony seems to be right on their ass now. On the photography front I think Nikon still offers the best overall value IMO. I currently use Sigma Art series lenses on a pair of Nikon D800's and that is the benchmark that I use for referance in regards to F/Stop and DOF for photography. 35mm on the first body and 85mm on the second body is my preferred setup.

On a side note I am a FF guy and prefer the benefits that FF sensors and cameras have. That being said if I had a better experience with the Fuji XT2. I would have sold my Nikon bodies and lenses and purchased 2 Fuji XT2 cameras along with the lenses that I want for my system. So that says a lot in and of itself. Perhaps I just got a lemon and this is probably what happened cause if I didn't I know I would have switched systems. I hope you win the Fuji XT2 lottery and get a good one ;-) LOL if you do I am sure you will be really happy with the camera and system.

• @Azo Right now just something I'm toying with. As I have hopes for AFC in the future I'm sticking with comparing native glass a necessity on Panasonic for AFC with DFD support. In comparison of native glass I think the Fujifilm offerings are cheaper add into that the equivalence argument and it is no longer as necessary to chase the ultra fast primes though Fuji still has them. If you want to invest in the Fujifilm ultra fast primes they are also cheaper. The Panny cheap 50mm is an anomaly and is a piece of plastic that works well enough. I own it but find the Fujifilm equivalent 35mm f2 considerably better made from my inspection. The biggest problem to me is to give up IBIS at least till Fuji supposedly implements it in there rumored new camera. If anything I'll probably try out the XT20.

• +1 @Avo and hot pixels -

I've been shooting Fuji for stills for several years and I am usually very happy.

I purchased the X-T2 with hopes that it could be a good hybrid camera and second cam for my C100mkII - lighter weight for b-roll, b-cam for two-camera interviews, etc.

It does well for short sessions. Love the color.

Terrible for hot pixels! and I will be sending my camera in to Fuji shortly. I have not had anything show up in videos themselves but after shooting video during an event - numerous clips over about 90 minutes - and switching back to stills, I had a large number of hot pixels in my raw files. As the sensor cooled over the next hour or so, they decreased.

But hot pixels are now still present with any longer exposure and once shooting a longer session. There are also a few stuck pixels.

Very disappointing b/c I very much enjoy shooting with these cameras but I don't feel I can rely on the X-T2 professionally as a hybrid camera.

My X-T1 also developed may stuck pixels after two years of use (stills only.) Fujifilm replaced the sensor with little cost.

My other annoyance with the X-T2 is that when once a battery drains, it stops recording rather than seamlessly switching to another battery in the grip or body. Not cool during an interview. murph.

• @WalterH Thanks for the info the hot pixel issue is worrying. I wonder what is going on after all isn't it a Sony Sensor.