Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • sample573.jpg
    641 x 839 - 80K
    sample574.jpg
    637 x 829 - 76K
  • @konjow , those images are terrible! Shot at diffraction apertures over f/8, with sharpness dialed down in camera and firmware 0.4.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev , up to ISO 3200 they look very good, starting with ISO 6400 the NR is to strong as you said.

• yes they are. Im not sure if f8 is main reason however.

• The Blur or loss of detail increases with each ISO. ISO 200 with NR set at 6 has more detail than ISO 400 with NR set to 1.

• Why compare GH5 iso200 with A65000 iso100? GH5 has iso100 and it is better than iso200.

Iso100 will be very good in video, especially in ex-tele or in other 100% sensor modes. GH4 iso200 is noisy in 100% sensor view (4k and ex-tele).

• I find the Gh5 image quality to be very good up to ISO 3200 (if not the best compared to the other APSC and m4/3 cameras out there) with a good balance between NR, details, sharpness and very nice colors. Unfortunately stating with ISO 6400 the NR is way to strong.

• I just compare many locations on the test image at a reasonable iso like 800 and comparing with the Olympus find the GH5 to be a little better. There is some smoothing it seems going on in the Olympus that reduces fine detail. GH5 also seems to handle highlight detail better. Being a convert to M4/3 it is only of passing interest how it compares to other systems.

• Gordon Laing from Cameralabs uploaded some videos to vimeo, original available for download

I did a play in Videolan player, a quadcore computer cannot playback any file... Computer must be huge for 4k 10bit 422 and for 4k 60p.

Edit post: I did a try in other player and I can do the play, Media Player Classic and KMPlayer, both can do a good playback in the quadcore computer (10bit 25p and 30p play fine, 60p and 50p 8bit sttuter a little, processor is not enough for it maybe)

https://vimeo.com/search?q=gh5+cameralabs

• Premiere in a quadcore and nvidia geforce gpu cannot playback the 10bit 422 4k files from GH5 in timeline, I did a try with 25p and 30p videos from cameralabs and both sttuter frames in timeline. The processor keeps near 100%.

When playback in timeline the CPU processor does the decoder, so the quadcore processor is not enough.

Maybe the Cineform intermediate codec can be a solution for smoth playback.

• Misleading examples GH5 NR. Look at the same shots done at lower NR.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh5/GH5hSLI06400NR1.HTM

• In my calculations, to playback in premiere timeline, the GH5 10bit 422 files 24p and 25p you will need an Intel 6 core 3.4GHZ cpu, and for 30p you will need a Intel 6 core 4.2GHZ cpu. It would be better to get a 8 core CPU... (remember: this is just some math calculations after see my quadcore bad performance)

to see the videos these two media players can work:

https://www.mediaplayercodecpack.com/

http://www.kmplayer.com/

• @apefos

By idea playback must be supported by proper hardware acceleration. Any problem with it?

• when the videos are in the premiere timeline the GPU does not help the decoding, the GPU just do the realtime effects. The CPU does the decoder. So a powerful CPU is needed for 4k 10bit 422. My quadcore cannot do, and I have a GeForce Nvidia on it.

• I do not know if it is possible to work with two GPUs enabled.

Intel processors have a built in GPU with hardware acceleration, but I do not know if this intel GPU can work together with the Nvidia GPU.

If it would be possible to use the Intel GPU to do the decoding, then a quadcore could be used.

I do not know if this is possible.

• I did a test enabling the Intel HD Graphics. Now the computer have two GPU, Nvidia GeForce and Intel.

But the Intel HD Graphics is not used when playback videos in timeline, the GPUZ measurements shows 0% usage.

• @Apefos

Tried this UHD 50p clip with i7 5820k 6 cores processor @3.3Ghz and GTX 970 in Premiere, and it stutters a bit.

C4k clip at 24p, has some stutter in regular intervals seems like thta every 2 secs it skips a frame or two.

Premiere CC 2015 and file from Samsung SSD Evo Pro 512Gb dedicated media disk .

• It seems proxy files will be the only solution to edit GH5 4k footage...

• Well, each of these files play smoothly when set to 1/2 playback resolution, so it is editable. Also, I presume that converting to ProRes or some other less stressful codec would probably play and edit better, proxy files would be the last option.

• Did you try to set the program monitor to 25% size and 1/4 resolution? Maybe this can help a lot.

In my quadcore I did this but it keeps the sttuter... maybe the 6 core can do?

• Every file, 50, 25 and 24 is totally smooth full screen on 2560x1440 screen, with 1/2 playback resolution set

• @inqb8tr are you using two monitors? one for premiere and other for preview?

• Here's a draft cut of some of the footage I have captured with the pre-production GH5 I currently have on loan from Panasonic Canada!

pass: gouweloos

Colour corrected ( still some work to do )

All 4K 60P and 1080p 180fps in 4k 24p timeline on standard profile