Personal View site logo
Panasonic Lumix GH5 Testing Requests
  • 109 Replies sorted by
  • @tylerknight

...other modes show them until you press record.

Are you saying that in S- video mode (via video menu) you can see also aperture before starting recording or in A-video mode you can see shutter speed before starting recording? I am not talking about photo modes in dial.

I use a lot S and A mode for video (GH4 video menu) and I want to know if my exposure values are reasonable when starting video. It would be nice also to see if the auto iso is reasonable or is it going crazy high...

• @tylerknight

I think that all he actually wants is to know all parameters camera uses at any moment of time, in any mode, including ISO. Simple and clear.

• @Vesku Only Manual video mode shows exposure values while recording, other modes show them until you press record.

Auto ISO works in all modes, but doesn't show what iso is being used. I still (like many others) have no idea what you keep going on about, so please try and explain in detail.

• @aked

I can confirm that you can in fact do those focus stacks!

• @tylerknight

Can you check if your FW version shows exposure values in ALL video modes (A,S,P and auto iso)?

• Can you check, if in camera focus stacking is possible like in the GX85 as seen here:

Icon and how to do from 12:18

• I'm still here! Just trying to sort through all the footage and photos from Mont Tremblant as well as went out today and captured some footage.

This week is going to be controlled testing as well as using it for some paid gigs ( with a backup with me just in case )

I used it on an engagement shoot today and it handled amazingly!

This was shot with the GH5 pre-production camera, with Leica 42.5mm f1.2 JPEG from camera lightly edited in lightroom as the RAW files aren't useable until the software comes out in March and updates everything ( same as every other camera release)

P1000388.jpg
    1875 x 2500 - 780K
  • I wonder if the programmable focus-shift will work smoothly with all the older Panasonic lenses like the 20mm f1.8.

Looking forward to all your results. Happy Testing!

• Here's what I'd like to see:

-Sigma 18-35mm with .64x XL booster vs. .71x Ultra (or first model) booster, with IBIS engaged- does it vignette at any point in the zoom range? Please give the camera a good jiggling/shaking so the IBIS is using its full range of motion. Maybe shoot a plain white wall so we can more easily see any soft or hard vignetting occurring.

-A rolling shutter test/measurement, using the methodology here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?303559-Measuring-rolling-shutter-put-a-number-on-this-issue!

in all modes please- 4K30, 4K60, and 1080p VFR. I'm excited to see what the 1080p measurement is, as the 4K mode is claimed to be ~15ms and that's already pretty great!

-Aliasing/moire tests- again in all modes. Find some brick buildings, or grates, or mesh chairs, or clothing with a fine pattern, etc.

-Resolution in 1080p modes- assuming you don't have charts with you, I guess just find a detailed subject and toggle through the modes. Would you happen to have a GH4 or G85 with you that you could also shoot with, and we could compare?

-GOP sizes in the 4K and VFR codecs (maybe Driftwood or someone else already knows this, or can figure it out from files that have already been posted online).

-Are there any differences in quality (res, moire, etc) within the VFR mode? Meaning is 180fps softer or jaggier than 120fps, or 96fps, or 72 fps, etc.

-Battery life, vs. GH4- again if you have a GH4 available. Maybe just point them both at a clock or something?

-Noise floor with XLR attachment- if you have a silent room to test in, I guess.

Thanks!

• The GH5 has arrived! I just got to Tremblant, Québec and had a chance to shoot a bit of video and photo but it got dark before I had a chance to really test it.

First thoughts:

ISO 6400 is more than useable ans looks fantastic!

Stabilizer is better than the g85(g80)

Shutter sounds and feels great! And the overall feel of the camera is larger which is much welcomed! No longer does my pinky finger go under the body of the camera while shooting.

I'm hitting the slopes with it tomorrow morning!

IMG_7197.PNG
    640 x 1136 - 1M
  • How about the ability to manually adjust focus using the lens focus ring when both AFL and AFC are engaged? My GH4 allow AFL will lock focus when AFC is set, but I cannot manually adjust the focus. I'd like to AFC ready, but use AFL + manual focus to set the first focus point precisely. Then, I just remove my thumb from the AFL button to let AFC take over.

• @tylerknight

Can we assign a Fn button to: 1. do a 'true' One-Touch WB? 2. toggle the HDMI 'Info Display' on/off

• No worries Tyler, do whatever you feel interests you most. In terms of delivery, I prefer a steady dripping ;) One aspect at the time.

• These are great!!

I'm going to do my best to get to as many as these as possible :)

I don't have access to an external recorder or anamorphic lens so unfortunately I can't help with any of those, but most of the others I'll have no problem.

I have to stress that I run a full time video production and photography business and I am taking time off and spending my own money to do these tests, so please no getting upset if I couldn't do a certain test or you aren't happy with the outcome, I'll do what I can ! haha.

• Ok, can you please compare the 12-60 Leica with the panasonic 12-60 ?

• Ok, maybe 1 grade to explore how far one can push the 10 bit file versus the 8 bit file in post. I like to know how much flexibility one actually gains recording 10 bit H264. I suspect that maybe the compression in H264 reduces greatly the gain in detail of 10bit to near 8bit levels. Thus the 10 bit recording starts to shine with a combination of VlogL and a high bitrate external recorder. For Normal DR recording 8 bit maybe enough if you get it right in camera. But maybe it is beneficial to use different curve settings when recording in 10 bit to record so the file has a very nice roll-off to start with?

Maybe you can take 8MP+18MP stills in JPG+raw to compare these to a video frame. Checking the codec's quality and see and compare DR and colour depth of stills and video?

The 6k photo mode uses H265 compression, and I think I've seen it a has a different compression approach then JPG compression. I think I see # like pattern in H265, versus the blocky H264. How can you clean up the H265 # patterns, does it look better then denoised H264? - Actually when I think of it, I don't mind some noise, I mind the compression blocking /smearing much more. In light of H265, maybe compare it to the Samsung NX1's H265?

Oh and moire tests please, with and without ETC. Including comparing the other camera's. Fine lined shirts, and other fine contrasty stuff.

Thanks

ps I like everybody's suggested tests.

• And NO grading in post please.

• It would be great if we could get some sample slow-mo footage (180p) shot in the standard or natural profile. Thanks.

• Hi @tylerknight +1 about the continuos AF face detection setting in video with original 12-35 or/and 35-100 lens if possible.

• Hi, if you have an anamorphic lens adapter, can you record something and make the files avaliable for download? Thanks.

• Hi @tylerknight,

Can I ask for a proper 4K 24p ISO video test done? From a tripod with the camera fixed (non moving), on wide angle (for greater dof and detail analysis), each ISO setting correctly expose (not some stupid underexposed lower ISO values useless test), on standard profile with everything dialed to an absolute 0 (default), no master pedestal, curves or any other adjustment made, just the 16 to 235 luminescence values correctly set for web viewing and focus correctly set and locked somewhere in the scene (unchanged for all the test period). If you have the change to do a side by side comparison with the Gh4, even better. If you can upload the original files to wetransfer.com or any other transfer site, wold be fabulous.

Thank you.

• Hi tyler would love to see how the photo sample , thank you

• +1 for noise/detail in underexposed areas test, and highlight rolloff.

• Please test the changes in DR as ISO increases, also is there are color shift.

Finally try the ETC 4K crop that so many people will use with S16 lenses. You can test it with normal mft lenses.

• Thanks for doing this.

From Max Yuryev

I see that the codec on the EM1-II retains much better detail in the shadows, while the G85 compresses the shadow noise into big macro blocks. I wonder if lifting the shadows in camera will prevent the camera from compressing the noise? How does the GH5 video compression deal with shadow detail?

Compare file quality of internal 8 - 10 bit to external 8-10 in editor.

Compare the GH5 colours to: G85-GH4 and Canon (the gold standard), using the SAME lens!

For publishing, because of vimeo/youtube compression I ask for showing 400% close ups, with linear enlargement, not bicubic! so hard pixel edges please .

CAF testing: Can you record a presenter walking from 10m away towards the camera using face detect, preferable with out of focus lights in for and back ground so it's easy to see the camera refocussing.

Testing focus settings, what do they do, are they effective?

Is the screen and EVF sharp enough to manual focus?

That's it for now, I hope you like the questions. Enjoy shooting with it!