Personal View site logo
Fujifilm X-T2, limited 4K camera
  • 140 Replies sorted by
  • @liork

Read first post to understand why the title is such.

• You mean by the 10 minutes limit?

• @liork

Different limits in different modes.

• I was finally able to locate and order the Fuji XT2 with the kit lens. Man this camera was very difficult to purchase. Nobody had these cameras in stock and when they do its gone as soon as it is available.

I hope that I can shoot stills with this camera and be happy with it. I am not planning to replace my Nikon Full Frame cameras. I just want something that is a little smaller that I can carry with me pretty much all the time. I was able to find a local camera rental store to take a look at it and the viewfinder is incredible. I really like the retro look of the camera but the biggest selling point for me was the EVF and the manual dials on the camera itself. I still need to order the, 23mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2 and possibly the 90mm F2 but I want to try it out with the kit lens and some lens adapters first to make sure that I am happy overall with the image quality before going all in in terms of lenses.

I should have the camera by January 4th so if you guys want me to do some tests on the video side with this camera I am more then happy to accommodate ;-)

Happy New Year Personal View Members ;-) Best Regards Azo

• Silver Version of X-T2 coming soon.

• Cool video shot with Fuji XT-2.

• Just received my Fuji XT-2 today. I gotta say it is a really nice camera and so is the kit lens that comes with it. The build quality on the body and kit lens is superb. The body itself is just little to small for my liking I wish it was just 1/2 inch taller but other then that I like it. I am waiting for my lens adapter to come in so that I can test it against my Nikon D750 in terms of image quality and sharpness.

I am realistic about this camera and don't expect miracles out of an APSC size sensor but if I can shoot at ISO 3200 perhaps even ISO 6400 I will be one happy camper. I have a photo shoot this weekend so I will use both cameras for the shoot we will see how it turns out. Let me know if you guys want me to test anything specifically on the Fuji XT-2.

• X-T2 Graphite Silver Edition

The X-T2 was released later in 2016 as a second flagship model in the X Series. It also uses unique colour reproduction technology and a 24.3MP X-TransTM CMOS III sensor2 to deliver outstanding image quality. Other headline features include a start-up time of 0.3 seconds, shutter release time lag of 0.045 seconds3, and a highly accurate AF system that focuses in as little as 0.06 seconds. The X-T2 is notably the first X Series model to support 4K video.

The X-T2 is the ultimate mirrorless digital camera; offering professional i mage quality and superb functionality thanks to its unique technologies. Now available in an exquisite Graphite Silver finish, it’s the perfect companion to the most discerning photographer.

The X-T2 Graphite Silver Edition is supplied with stylish tailor-made accessories including a premium leather strap, aluminium hot shoe cover and matching EF-X8 hot-shoe mount flash.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1307716-REG/fujifilm_16520882_fujifilm_x_t2_mirrorless_digital.html

sample201.jpg
    712 x 645 - 52K
  • If we can get RAW video out of this ,than wow.Looks great

• Some bundles starter to appear

Fujifilm X-T2 Mirrorless Digital Camera Body with Battery Grip Kit for $1699

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1308957-REG/fujifilm_16519247_kit_x_t2_mirrorless_digital_camera.html

• I did not believe all of the hype about the Fuji XT-2 but after some testing of my own I must say that I am really impressed. I was going to shoot some photos and video for you guys and show you guys the raw results but there are lots of other reviews and such to download and view. I am very happy with the image quality from this camera for both stills and video.

There are some things about this camera that I don't like but they are kinda minor and I can work around it.

Here are the things that I don't like about the camera in no particular order.

1. Battery life is abysmal in comparison to say the GH4 or my Nikon D750. Nothing that a battery grip can't fix but still very poor battery life. Battery grip is a necessity IMO.

2. Ergonomics! Ok just some background for what I like. I have grips on my Nikon D750's and my Nikon D600. In general I don't like the ergonomics of small cameras. Having said that the GH4 has excellent ergonomics I was actually surprised on how good the GH4 felt in my hand without a battery grip it fit perfectly in my hands for a small camera. The Fuji XT-2 leaves much to be desired in terms of ergonomics in its base form. For me it is actually a little uncomfortable to shoot with. Again nothing that a battery grip can't fix but still comparing it to say a the body of a GH4/GH5 the Panasonic wins hands down. But everybody is buying this camera for the hipster effect and if it had perfect ergonomics then it wouldn't look like an old school hipster camera.... LOL

3. No histogram when recording video... I seriously don't understand this. In photo mode they allow you to see a histogram but not in video mode??? Anyway I knew about this prior to purchasing the camera but still...

4. No RGB histogram... Sometimes I like to use this to manually fine tune the white balance using either my Photovision Target or the Grey Card from my Passport Color Checker.

5. Point to point single autofocus no problems at all everything is super fast and accurate. However as soon as I switch over to continuos auto focus I notice a slow down. There are a number of settings on the camera and hopefully I just need to choose the right one so this might be due to user error Fuji Noob complications ;-) I use back button focusing exclusively in the continuos auto focus mode for my Nikon's. The button for back button focusing is a little on the small size and is a little to clicky for my taste. This is in comparison to the GH4, Nikon D750, D600.

Back to some positives about the camera.

Just wanted to let you guys know the lowlight performance on this camera is stunning for an APSC sized sensor. Shooting up to ISO 6400 no problem at all with lots of detail in the photos ;-) Also the AWB on this camera just kills it. I am not sure how Fuji is able to beat Nikon with AWB but seriously the AWB on this camera is excellent. I am now a believer in Fujifilm cameras and very happy to own the Fuji XT-2. Shooting photos Fuji XT-2 using this wonderful EVF is a game changer for me. The ability to see exactly what type of effects my camera settings have thru the EFV is awesome. All in all I am happy with this camera and look forward to incorporating it into my workflow.

• teechart5.jpg
    523 x 488 - 31K
  • I like the J.B. style of grip for the XT-2. Sorry about the large file size on the last photo Vitaliy. I tried to delete the photo but can't I get an error message.

JB+XT1+Wood+Pro+Grip-5.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 416K
    JB+XT1+Wood+Pro+Grip-2.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 397K
  • Here are a couple of shots from a shoot that I did yesterday. The JPG's are straight out of the camera with no editing whatsover. These images were shot using the Provia Standard picture profile with the Fuji 18-55 @ F/4. I normally use my Nikon 85mm prime or my 70-200 for portraits. But since I don't have those lenses for the Fuji system I just used the Fuji 18-55 kit lens.

I normally dont do this but really wanted to try and shoot something with the Fuji. So I took two pictures of my subject, one from the Nikon D750 using the standard picture profile and the other shooting the Provia picture profile. I wanted a contrasty look from these photos so that is why I chose these profiles. Anyways took the pictures uploaded the JPG's to my 15" Retina MacBook Pro and asked my model which camera she would prefer for the shoot. Well she picked the Fuji XT-2 and actually commented on how she didnt really like the colors from the Nikon. Whoah eye opener for me!! I thought the Nikon images looked fine but oh well customer is always right... The reason for her picking the Fuji might be due to the fact that the Fuji tends to underexpose in comparison to the D750 which provides a brighter image overall. The camera settings were the same on both cameras.

Anyways here are a couple of photo's from the shoot using the Fuji XT-2 with the Provia profile.

_DSF0424.jpg
    1280 x 1920 - 545K
    _DSF0523-2.jpg
    1464 x 1920 - 437K
  • Fujifilm X-T2 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 18-55mm F2.8-4.0 R LM OIS Lens used for $1661

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01I3LNQ6M/

Fujifilm X-T2 Mirrorless Digital Camera Body, used, $1479

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01I3LNMAM/

• As mentioned in the E-M1 topic, here's a pretty fair "hands-on" comparison of the E-M1 Mk II compared to the Fuji X-T2. Swings and roundabouts...take your pick.

http://mirrorlesscomparison.com/fujifilm-vs-olympus/omd-em1-mark-ii-vs-fuji-xt2/

Without the reviewer getting into technical measurements, it seems like the M43 sensor tech is snapping at the heels of the APS sensor. Any thoughts?

• @JanH

I think both cameras have their pro's and con's. IMO it all boils down to what your individual needs are. If I shot more video then still's then I would probably pass on the Olympus/XT-2 and get the Panasonic GH5. If it was a mix lets say 50/50 video and stills then I would get the Fuji XT-2 over the Olympus/GH5.

I am very happy with the XT-2 but I don't see myself selling of my FF Nikon gear. Sometimes I need shallow DOF because I am shooting in an environment that I can't control. This is an example of what I mean. I had a photo shoot scheduled at a park but due to inclement weather had to cancel. I already met the client at their house to discuss the photo shoot. Knowing the layout of their residence I asked them if we could just shoot at their residence instead. They agreed and were happy with the outcome.

The reason I bring this up is because for me I really don't see myself going back to M/43. The sensor size is just to small for my particular needs. Different strokes for different folks but for me it is APSC sized sensors and up. That being said if Panasonic released a FF camera I would buy it in a heartbeat. AHHH wishful thinking but oh well.

• Has anyone tried recording F-Log externally? I have LUTs for it.