Personal View site logo
Ask Nick Driftwood your questions about GH5
  • 97 Replies sorted by
  • @bugme

PV is not about Panasonic marketing talks, it is about reality.

Panasonic as all companies pushed AF marketing talks with later added gibberish terms ala 240fps, DFD, etc.

For you to understand - for fast stills AF Panasonic switch sensor to fast fps mode (but does not work in dark). Only real plus here is tracking of moving object or final precise adjustment part. 240fps mode also did not work with all lenses.

480fps mode has nothing to do with lens electronics and motors. As well as DFD has nothing to do with 480fps. Main role of 480fps is marketing for now. DFD literally means that they try to guess adjustment amount (and this thing is main advantage of phase AF) from 2 or more frames, so they can move lens fast to the vicinity of proper position. In reality of actual timing 240fps or 480fps makes almost no difference.

Sensor mode was and will be always a problem for video AF, and real solution is to use dual pixel sensors.

• Sensor mode was and will be always a problem for video AF, and real solution is to use dual pixel sensors.

With Pana contrast AF camera adjusts and analyses AF using current video fps. With photos it can use much higher fps when composing an image and between photo exposures with AFC.

Can video AF read sensor between frames if it has time for it. For example in 30P the sensor may run actually at 60P and use only half of frames for actual video and 60fps for focusing. Is this possible? In my tests GH4 1080 30P and 60P auto focuses at same speed but 24P slower.

• @Vesku

Panasonic seems to be implying that the AF improvements of the GH5, and specifically the 480fps sampling, are also done in video.

I don't know what the limitations are in sampling the sensor while shooting video or even if there are limitations. It might still be possible to do 480fps sampling while shooting 24P video. It just means you sample the sensor 20 times per frame of video. The only problem would be if you can't actually record from the sensor (to video) when you're sampling the sensor for AF. But the GH5 can record 9fps in stills mode using contrast/DFD AF (sampling the sensor 53 times per frame), so I don't see why it can't do 24 fps video or higher using the same system.

Panasonic's stills AF has been REALLY good with their DFD bodies. They don't have hunting and it's extremely precise. If they can adapt that to their movie mode, there's absolutely no need for dual pixel AF or OSPDAF.

• @bugme

You just not understand that you talk about. It is cool to read all this marketing thing, but no need to shit into brains of poor viewers of this topic.

As for DFD, make scientific planned test of two bodies in same conditions and same lens. And we will return to discuss this marketing term.

• Ultimately, I don't and can't know how the camera is going to perform prior to its release.

And ultimately, you can't really know either. I agree that there's no need to hype a camera before any tests are done. But there's also no need to say that it's all marketing crap before anyone knows how the camera is going to perform.

I think you're just judging this camera by how the GH4 performed rather than giving it the benefit of the doubt. We all know the GH4 didn't autofocus well in video, and specifically in 4K. If you're going to tell me that you understand all the science and engineering perfectly and know that it's all marketing hype before any tests are done, well, I'll tell you I don't believe you. This is bleeding edge technology that I doubt many people who aren't working on it directly fully understand.

We should just wait and see how the cameras perform in real world testing.

• And ultimately, you can't really know either. I agree that there's no need to hype a camera before any tests are done. But there's also no need to say that it's all marketing crap before anyone knows how the camera is going to perform.

OK. Let me say again. I told you about principles. How and when camera is switching sensor modes, that DFD is, etc.

If you're going to tell me that you understand all the science and engineering perfectly and know that it's all marketing hype before any tests are done, well, I'll tell you I don't believe you. This is bleeding edge technology that I doubt many people who aren't working on it directly fully understand.

I know lot of things about sensors, physics and many things about engineering. Not at the level of camera engineers, of course. But I for many years read scientific papers and also check interviews on latest achievements. Does not mean that I am always right, nope. But it also means that I have low tolerance to tech bullshit so common on forums and why you see so little of it on PV.

Strongly advise instead of shit into people minds with useless and wrong marketing interpretations just start to read and understand basic principles. Everyone benefit from it, you start bring useful new info from one you read and people see useful info.

• @bugme

You are talking nonsense. You.should read more before talking too much.

• I'm willing to let it go because Vitaliy owns the site, so ultimately, he decides what can be said and what can't. But I will point something out. If you draw such a hard line in the sand about what can and can't be discussed, you'd better be 100% sure you're right because the internet has a long memory about such things.

• @bugme

Forum is not made to prove that I am right, it is made to make you read and think more so you understand yourself that is wrong and right. Live with it.

Unfortunately we'll part with @bugme for a week, enough time for him to read stuff and become calm.

• Can we expect 12bit 444 hdmi output via some paid firmware update in future?

• @1917 I suppose if Panasonic say there will be an update, there may well be an update. Otherwise the question is only going to promote pure speculation with no useful information.

• @driftwood any chance of false color monitoring?

• Let's not forget that Panasonic has reneged on announced firmware updates, complete with announced time schedule just like now, in the past. There is no reason to trust that they will actually carry out any of these promised updates. Blackmagic too has reneged on promised updates (global shutter), but at least they came clean on not being able to deliver at some point. Panasonic has been completely silent on their unfulfilled promised and scheduled updates that never occurred.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/15993/when-will-panasonic-vario-pz-45-175mm-f4.0-5.6-get-dual-i.s.-firmware-update/p1

• @markr041: And that is exactly why I never "pre-order" or buy things based on some vague promises of future updates. Since some of the more relevant GH5 features won't be available before the promised summer update, I'll certainly not buy before that one materializes. And since I also own two Panasonic lenses that are not yet compatible with the "dual IS" feature, I'll probably not be tempted to buy before these are supported.

• Global shutter on the Micro wasn't a promised firmware update, it was an feature of the camera announced well before the cameras became available, that wasn't in the final product. So you had the opportunity to cancel your order if it was a deal-breaker.

Personally I'm glad to see people threatening to not purchase until after the firmware update... that will make it easier for me to find one upon release!

• it may been asked+replied already, but which Noise-Reduction app was used by Nick in an ISO video he made with the GH5?

• neat video

• Hi Nick, What do you think with the GH5: Stick with the 12-35 2.8 or get the GH5 with the 12-60 2.8-4.0 instead?

• I'll add onto AKED's question is the 12-60 have equal IQ from 12-35 to the 12-35 lens and at what point does the 12-60 start going up from 2.8 when zooming. If it's comparable to the 12-35 in quality and is still f2.8 when it hits 35mm I'd personally find it interesting over the 12-35.

• Matt Frazer at the 11:00 minute mark says you can't have punch in focus while recording on the GH5, however, in your previous chat, you said it was there. What's the final answer?

• @Scot I got this from another forum about the 12-60:

12mm F2.8; [14mm F2.8]; 18mm F3.2; 25mm F3.5; 40mm F3.9; 50mm F3.9; 60mm F4.0.