Personal View site logo
Ask Nick Driftwood your questions about GH5
  • 97 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood Sorry but all the footage is oversharpened, I see halos everywhere. Can you disable all the sharpen on other clips please?

• @shian.

you where lost. I was bringing some acidic aproach to threads but you are the lady ian charge of the ironic flavor in here.

Miss you being here

• Does it come standard with cup holders? Or is that a Spring '17 upgrade as well?

• @driftwood Ah, that clears up why I've only seen the VLogL stuff from Luke. Are you able to make some of the clips you've shot in other modes available for download?

• It's a shame it's only 4:2:0

It is not a shame. 4:2:0 at 100% sensor debayering is close to 4:2:2. 5.2k 10bit down sampled to 3.8k will give very good result. About perfect 4:2:2 11bit 4k.

• This is the information about the Driftwood's 6K video I got out of the ffmpeg:

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'nickshevcesample.mp4':
      Metadata:
        major_brand     : mp42
        minor_version   : 1
        compatible_brands: mp42hvc1
        creation_time   : 2017-01-08T10:01:54.000000Z
      Duration: 00:00:40.54, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 192234 kb/s
        Stream #0:0(und): Video: hevc (Main 10) (hvc1 / 0x31637668), yuv420p10le(pc, bt709), 5184x3456 [SAR 1:1 DAR 3:2], 192057 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc (default)
        Metadata:
        Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 125 kb/s (default)
        Metadata:

It's a shame it's only 4:2:0, but it does make sense, imagine the bandwidth it would need to encode 4:2:2, or 4:4:4 even? At least it's 10-bit, right? It might be worth investigating how much it makes sense downscaling to 4k, that should increase the chroma subsampling ratio.

Edit: I extracted a frame out of the 6k video into a 16-bit per channel lossless image, feel free to drop it in your favorite photo editing software for inspection: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10260554/personal-view/output00000001.png If you're curious about the compression quality, check the attached image where I zoomed into the part of the frame that had the most color variance.

6k-frame-0000.jpg
    1580 x 316 - 253K
  • First post here, Can you comment on GH5 full sensor (not cropped) down converted (no line skipping) to 1080p? Is the GH5 able to record that in camera? I do not "need" 4K, but do use it on my GH4 because it reduces moire (and looks sharp) when editing to a 1080p timeline. And, if you could, please expand on down converting full sensor to 1080p to external recorder through HDMI. I have a Ninja Blade. I have not been able to find any topic on this. Thank you!

• There's an additional benefit from having native 2.35 aspect ratio in camera - the compression quality will be better! With less pixels to process, the same bitrate will produce a less compressed picture. Win, win on all counts.

• @driftwood Nick, any chance you can "feature request" a 1:1 pixel center crop recording mode of 2560 x 1440 @ 120P?

This would be fantastic for obtaining slow motion wildlife footage that could be uprezzed to 4K or downrezzed to HD fairly easily in post.

There seems to be a good deal of downscale aliasing going on in the VFR mode... this could be a good tradeoff, IMO for people who need sharper, cleaner output at a decently high frame rate and don't care about the extra crop (or could even benefit from it).

• Ralph_B I understand that, I just think that your option is more complicated and less likely to happen, plus the space you save, file transfer time, processing demands, etc. there is very little gain IMO.

Crop markings in open gate, that would be interesting, you will have the full 5184px to crop any way you prefer, in other words, DCI 5K.

• Hi @driftwood will the GH5 still work with a metabones speedbooster Xl/ultra?

• GH5 6k photo video HEVC specs (file from Nick):

It is 10bit 4:2:0 video. Full exif as txt-file:

hevc.jpg
    431 x 502 - 82K
    670192581.txt
  • @ theSUBVERSIVE

You're missing the point. Of course you can crop in post. But by having the camera record native 2.35 aspect ratio, you save on disk space, faster file transfers, less processing demands on your computer, and overall more efficient workflow.

• Does the HEVC Main 10 mean 10bit video? What means chroma format 4

• @paglez

Hi Nick! Could you confirm that DFD in GH5 in video mode it's so good than Dual Pixel system in Canon Cameras?

I am not Nick, but can confirm that it is not. As DFD do different thing compared to Dual Pixel. And I am 100% sure that if not horrible capitalists patents we'll have DP in around 80% pro and prosumer cameras.

• The 6kphoto mode for movie making could be stunning... here's a 4K converted (by Vimeo) original HEVC 3:2 file you can all download. Its a quick test but I dedicated it to p-v. Watch it in 4K :-)

Elecard Streameye 4 Info:

stream type HEVC/H.265

profile Main 10

compatibility Main 10

level / tier 6.0 / High

chroma format 4

• @Ralph_B if you have crop marking you can easily do that in post

@driftwood I couldn't remember the AVC Ultra's specs from the top of my head, so after the chat last week I went to check it and AVC Ultra up 30p is exactly 400Mbps, so although it won't be a MXF wrapper, it does feel more likely to be H.264, at least the 400Mbps All-I one. I understand H.264 is more well adopted, but if already have H.265 in it, why not offer HEVC in 4K as well? Having options don't hurt.

But still regarding the codecs:

• Why Panasonic doesn't offer a 200-240Mbps Long GOP codec for 4K60p?
    • Will the Anamorphic "5-6K" be 10-bit 422?
    • If they will already offer the anamorphic, why not 5K? 4800px for 16:9 and 5120px for DCI, the camera seems capable of that and the high resolution anamorphic mode basically covers that already, so why not?

Thanks for the reply and your time!

• Hi Nick,

Here's a feature request. Give the GH5 the option to record movies in 2.35 aspect ratio. For the various shooting modes this would be:

3840 x 1632, 4096 x 1744, 5184 x 2208

This would be the final stamp in making it a digital cinema camera! (well, aside from RAW)

• Hi Nick! Could you confirm that DFD in GH5 in video mode it's so good than Dual Pixel system in Canon Cameras?

• I will only answer questions in this thread as I have hundreds of emails...!

Remember about chat transcript also.

• A lot of people have been pm ing me questions. I will only answer questions in this thread as I have hundreds of emails...!

• @dacloo

My major (and only question) for the GH5 is whether DFD is affecting auto-focus in video mode as well? IS it as good/better as GX80 etc...

@endotoxic

Nick, im more interested in the matrixes and the quantification ptterns used in this gh5 version h264. You talked about three algorithms reminicent of your work. How those compare to thw work done here, and how those afect this gh5 flavor of h264?

Lets just say Panasonic were very happy to announce All Intra 400Mbps to me personally at one of our meet ups! Codec TBA :-)

@theSUBVERSIVE Your excellent recommendations and points have been noted. 1. is impossible now. 2. crop marks will probably happen in a fw update as no doubt GH5 is in production at factories by now. 3. See endotoxic response above.

@lenuisible

Hi Nick, someone mentioned in the G80 topic that it's possible to use long press on Fn buttons to trigger a feature. I assume it's the same with GH5, could you please confirm ? Txs !

Hmm didn't check that one. Theres 22 functions inc. you can program the joystick Up,down,left,right and the wheels :-)

@thetrickster @AKED

FW updates for the 12-35 and 35-100mm, IBIS for other lenses

I know its been confusing. Im awaiting clarification from Japan as some say tomato others say tomatoes... I tried electronic stabilisation for video mode with some manuals attached and it seems pretty good.

@hedrox

Hi Nick, I would like to ask if the lut view for monitoring (when shooting in V-log) is present in camera or it will be a paid upgrade? Will it be possible to upgrade also our beloved Gh4s with this lut -upgrade? thank you!

I see four custom placeholders for picture profiles; I haven't seen VLog working on the GH5 yet; I am told it will be serial loaded/activated like the GH4 was but with the addition of the new LUT Display function Im hoping it will hold upto four different LUTs in these custom placeholders. You have vector and waveform scopes to help you expose correctly in addition to the good old Zebras and highlights functionality.

• @Scot

Does the post focus-focus stacking function that is currently working with 4K photo work with 6K photo on the GH5.

YES

@Tron

Nick, is there any 4k timelapse mode that outputs in 10 bit 4:2:2 (either intervalometer conversion or 4K VFR 2-30 fps)? Thanks.

No, only variable frame rates upto 60fps in 4:2:0 8-bit. But again you never know in fw update programme.

@gietrzygietrzy

Nick, can you please ask Japanese guys when 100mm+ macro POIS lens is planned? No coma, etc, can be Leica read: pricey. Thanks.

Will do :-)

@SuperSet

Will you please make some GH5 VLog footage available for download so we can play with it, just like Luke Neumann did?

I dunno where Luke got his Vlog for GH5 from (USA more special than us!) cuz none of the two GH5s UK side had it. We're awaiting to see it working in test GH5s

@chipxsd

Hi @driftwood, I'm kinda curious about the 6K photo mode. Does it make sense using it for video shooting? I'm aware of the different codec (h.265) it uses for compression, but nobody mentioned the bit depth nor the chroma subsampling. Do you have any sample footage done in 6K straight from the SD card?

I'll upload a 6kphoto mode latest version sample for your download later on. It can do 4:3 and 3:2 in 6Kphoto mode which means hi quality Anamorphic modes coming in summer will be very cool fidelity :-) And it is, I must admit rather brilliant for photo extrapolation at 18.69MP :-)

• @Eno I will do proper ISO test next week. There is one eat the end of the other video remember.