Personal View site logo
Ask Nick Driftwood your questions about GH5
  • Here you can ask Nick Driftwood any questions considering GH5, starting right now.

As he has one of the few GH5 existing you can ask very specific things.

• 97 Replies sorted by
  • Vitality,

Thanks to you and Nick @Driftwood for hosting this chat, it was very informative!

I look forward to Nick reviewing the questions, that I and others posted for him, and hope he is able to answer as many as possible. I think there were a few, that require him to go away and have a deeper look at the GH5.

Thanks to Nick for the answers to the questions he was able to answer while in the chat. Some very good points raised - and looks like Panasonic have indeed listened to many of the complaints/ideas from end users from the GH4.

Excited for Mar/Apr now!

• @everyone.

FYI,

Nick had mentioned that he will be rejoining the chat in about 15 min.

• Is there an archive of the chat, or at least the answers to key questions, being kept somewhere?

• @davedv earlier chat is available in the GH5 thread (top of page 31), after the next chat finishes the transcript will be posted somewhere :)

• Question for Nick, Any chance of 4 track audio recording in the future? I think it would be a really cool feature. GH5 XLR Adapter + 3.5mm Mic input = 4 channel audio.

• Hi @driftwood,

Can you please make a proper Gh 5 video ISO test shot from a tripod with all ISO settings properly exposed, standard profile with everything default, in 4K 100 Mb/sec (for having a reference to Gh4 and other cameras). If you can shot side by side with the GH4, even better.

Many thanks.

• Does the post focus/focus stacking function that is currently working with 4K photo work with 6K photo on the GH5.

• Nick, is there any 4k timelapse mode that outputs in 10 bit 4:2:2 (either intervalometer conversion or 4K VFR 2-30 fps)? Thanks.

• Nick, can you please ask Japanese guys when 100mm+ macro POIS lens is planned? No coma, etc, can be Leica read: pricey. Thanks.

• Will you please make some GH5 VLog footage available for download so we can play with it, just like Luke Neumann did?

• Hi @driftwood, I'm kinda curious about the 6K photo mode. Does it make sense using it for video shooting? I'm aware of the different codec (h.265) it uses for compression, but nobody mentioned the bit depth nor the chroma subsampling. Do you have any sample footage done in 6K straight from the SD card?

I don't see much use of it for photos though, since I always take photos in RAW preserving all the information, whereas 4K/6K photo mode flattens the output to a compressed 8bit format — well, at least on a GH4.

• Hi @driftwood thank you for your time to answer questions.

My major (and only question) for the GH5 is whether DFD is affecting auto-focus in video mode as well?

I like to apply shallow depth-of-field using a gimbal and auto focus is very useful for this. The GH4 is pretty bad at keeping the object in focus and starts to focus-hunt a lot. The G85 however seems to improve this considerably and I was wondering if the GH5 does a similar job, or even a better job?

Thank you!

FYI:

G85 face tracking and settings to set AF speed:

G85 object tracking and AF:

• Nick, im more interested in the matrixes and the quantification ptterns used in this gh5 version h264.

You talked about three algorithms reminicent of your work.

How those compare to thw work done here, and how those afect this gh5 flavor of h264?

It is good enough to aquire a look as you patches.

Or the behaviour of the codec is stupid as ussual panna logic?

• Things Panasonic could implement:

• charging via USB
    • crop marks/guides on screen while shooting video
    • 4K with HEVC options - including All-I
    • option to crop in 4K from the normal 2x crop up to 1:1 pixel 2.5x crop, this gives the user the flexibility to crop in if he needs without losing 4K pixels, like a digital zoom it might introduce a bit of noise but at least you keep the resolution
  • GH5 has ex-tele in 4k = 100% center pixels like in GH4.

• Hi Nick, someone mentioned in the G80 topic that it's possible to use long press on Fn buttons to trigger a feature. I assume it's the same with GH5, could you please confirm ? Txs !

• I just saw, that there is a Dual IBIS Firmware update for the 12-35. Ver. 1.3. I have not seen updates for the 14-140 (first version) or the 100-300. Will the IBIS in the body work alone without dual IBIS then? Or would it be better to use only the stabilizer of the lens when using one of the older ones?

• Panasonic are really muddying the waters around the FW updates for the 12-35 and 35-100mm

One interview with Sean Robinson he says the 12-35mm / 35-100mm will get FW updates to Dual-IS2

(at 4mins 25secs)

And yet Matt Frazer says they will only get Dual-IS1

(at 2mins 46s)

• Hi Nick, I would like to ask if the lut view for monitoring (when shooting in V-log) is present in camera or it will be a paid upgrade?

Will it be possible to upgrade also our beloved Gh4s with this lut -upgrade? thank you!

• Hi guys, Im back after a busy flurry with work as well as GH5 stuff. I don't work for Panasonic let me remind you. I do the occasional ambassadorial stuff at present and of course they will get me in when new video products like GH5 come out! Also I can pass on firmware update requests etc...

• fancy dancer: You asked about 4 track recording. Its possible in future but for the present in the XLR1 accessory device which sits atop the GH5 its dual XLRs stereo recording in upto 96K. It draws power from the GH5 and inc. Phantom power.

• @Eno I will do proper ISO test next week. There is one eat the end of the other video remember.

• @Scot

Does the post focus-focus stacking function that is currently working with 4K photo work with 6K photo on the GH5.

YES

@Tron

Nick, is there any 4k timelapse mode that outputs in 10 bit 4:2:2 (either intervalometer conversion or 4K VFR 2-30 fps)? Thanks.

No, only variable frame rates upto 60fps in 4:2:0 8-bit. But again you never know in fw update programme.

@gietrzygietrzy

Nick, can you please ask Japanese guys when 100mm+ macro POIS lens is planned? No coma, etc, can be Leica read: pricey. Thanks.

Will do :-)

@SuperSet

Will you please make some GH5 VLog footage available for download so we can play with it, just like Luke Neumann did?

I dunno where Luke got his Vlog for GH5 from (USA more special than us!) cuz none of the two GH5s UK side had it. We're awaiting to see it working in test GH5s

@chipxsd

Hi @driftwood, I'm kinda curious about the 6K photo mode. Does it make sense using it for video shooting? I'm aware of the different codec (h.265) it uses for compression, but nobody mentioned the bit depth nor the chroma subsampling. Do you have any sample footage done in 6K straight from the SD card?

I'll upload a 6kphoto mode latest version sample for your download later on. It can do 4:3 and 3:2 in 6Kphoto mode which means hi quality Anamorphic modes coming in summer will be very cool fidelity :-) And it is, I must admit rather brilliant for photo extrapolation at 18.69MP :-)

• @dacloo

My major (and only question) for the GH5 is whether DFD is affecting auto-focus in video mode as well? IS it as good/better as GX80 etc...

@endotoxic

Nick, im more interested in the matrixes and the quantification ptterns used in this gh5 version h264. You talked about three algorithms reminicent of your work. How those compare to thw work done here, and how those afect this gh5 flavor of h264?

Lets just say Panasonic were very happy to announce All Intra 400Mbps to me personally at one of our meet ups! Codec TBA :-)

@theSUBVERSIVE Your excellent recommendations and points have been noted. 1. is impossible now. 2. crop marks will probably happen in a fw update as no doubt GH5 is in production at factories by now. 3. See endotoxic response above.

@lenuisible

Hi Nick, someone mentioned in the G80 topic that it's possible to use long press on Fn buttons to trigger a feature. I assume it's the same with GH5, could you please confirm ? Txs !

Hmm didn't check that one. Theres 22 functions inc. you can program the joystick Up,down,left,right and the wheels :-)

@thetrickster @AKED

FW updates for the 12-35 and 35-100mm, IBIS for other lenses

I know its been confusing. Im awaiting clarification from Japan as some say tomato others say tomatoes... I tried electronic stabilisation for video mode with some manuals attached and it seems pretty good.

@hedrox

Hi Nick, I would like to ask if the lut view for monitoring (when shooting in V-log) is present in camera or it will be a paid upgrade? Will it be possible to upgrade also our beloved Gh4s with this lut -upgrade? thank you!

I see four custom placeholders for picture profiles; I haven't seen VLog working on the GH5 yet; I am told it will be serial loaded/activated like the GH4 was but with the addition of the new LUT Display function Im hoping it will hold upto four different LUTs in these custom placeholders. You have vector and waveform scopes to help you expose correctly in addition to the good old Zebras and highlights functionality.