Personal View site logo
4K Displays topic

The ASUS PQ321 True 4K UHD Monitor uses cutting-edge Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide (IGZO) rather than traditional amorphous silicon for the active layer of its LCD panel. IGZO panels support much smaller transistors than amorphous silicon, which in turn gives much smaller pixels and the 3840 x 2160 resolution of the PQ321 is four times that of a 1920 x 1080 Full HD display.

176-degree wide viewing angles on both vertical and horizontal planes minimize onscreen color shift, while the 350cd/m² brightness rating and 8ms gray-to-gray response time ensure smooth, bright, and vibrant moving visuals. IGZO technology also gives reduced energy consumption compared to amorphous silicon and reduces bulk — at 35mm at its thickest point, the PQ321 is the thinnest 4K UHD monitor available today.

Via: http://www.asus.com/News/L9xTPmmMwTlPMq5l

• 18 Replies sorted by
  • Tempting as these UHD displays are, I don't think 4K will become mainstream in another 10 years. Content is going to be the biggest constraint along with price. Outside of Hollywood, even 1080p is scarce.

As a computer monitor may be good for people who need screen real estate and may help to avoid multiple displays.

• @ppcroft

It is sad to upset you, but "mainstream" today is very vague term. 4K will be definitely widely present in video production and even more in monitors used for work with video.

Right now biggest stopper is still present restrictions, as far as I remember only DP allows normal framerates. HDMI is still 30fps bounded.

• There is a youtube channel called "SPACE RIP" that put up a video of artist enhanced pictures of space stuff, they say the original resolution option is 4K. Can anyone verify?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I won't be upset if UHD went 'mainstream', but if what happened to FHD is anything to go by, then it is going to be a long wait. I read somewhere in 2012 that Blu-ray penetration in USA is 26%. 1080p is now over a decade old and if USA has only 26% of users who has used BD at least once, then that is saying a lot. If there is a way to see how much percentage of what is being watched by people is FHD, I am willing to wager that it is just in single digit. In fact there is a whole lot of content which is not even 1080p. Outside of the USA, this is even more so.

Of course 4K capable cameras are hitting the market ahead of the displays. This do not translate to content that people 'want' to watch on UHD. Since no agreement is in sight for delivering content in 4K, I am sure we will be limited to watching mostly amateur 4K clips on YouTube or elsewhere. That crowd will never be called 'mainstream' under any kind of definition.

Even now plenty of people who have FHD display but feeds them SD material. I am sure the UHD displays will find takers but a great majority will run HD/SD material on them, which is not the point of these displays. If you are only going to feed a UHD display with FHD/SD content, then better buy big FHD display for a lot less money and wait for the UHD ecosystem to mature. My local store has UHD displays for nearly US$ 21000 and they are demoing them with 1080p content. It was the same when they first had 1080p displays on sale; fed by a DVD :-)

I am a FHD freak and often refuse to watch a movie unless it is released on 1080p. Even then more than 50% of the things I watch is still SD.

• I believe that 4K will help to make screenings in cinemas a better experience. Therefore it give people a reason to go to the cinema rather than stay at home with 1080p.

As the cost of 4K production comes down, there'll be a demand for 4K monitors.

When the 4K monitors are of a reasonable price, the high end home cinema crowd will use upscalers and search around for 4K source material.

Then 4K becomes the higher end for computer monitors.

And so on. When it becomes mainstream, 8K or 16K starts to feed in at the top end.

At £3K I'd buy a 4K monitor!

• As the cost of 4K production comes down, there'll be a demand for 4K monitors.

When the 4K monitors are of a reasonable price, the high end home cinema crowd will use upscalers and search around for 4K source material.

Price for 4K monitors will go down much faster, just due to simple fact that 4K 32" IPS panels will be mass produced for TVs and such.

Resolution is still competitive advantage.

4K monitors are used for other things besides video.

See a recent comparison of 4K graphics cards:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-High-End-GPUs-Benchmarked-4K-Resolutions

• Sharp wants to step things up a notch with its new IGZO displays for notebooks.

IGZO screens use less power than traditional LCD displays, but because of the technology used to produce them, it’s also easier to squeeze pixels together at high densities.

Sharp is plans to start production of three new IGZO displays this year:

• 11.6 inch, 2560 x 1440 pixel screen
    • 14 inch, 3200 x 1800 pixel screen
    • 15.6 inch, 3200 x 1800 pixel screen

The smallest of the displays will have a pixel density of 253 pixels per inch, while the 14 inch model is a 262 ppi display, and the 15.6 inch screen has 235 pixels per inch.

Sharp plans to begin production of its new IGZO displays in June.

• So far, I've got confirmation on just one other though: a 39-inch display with a VA panel (vertical alignment).

It has 5,000:1 static contrast ratio with dynamic mega-contrast, 60 Hz refresh rate, viewing angles of 170 degrees, three inputs (dual HDMI, DisplayPort 1.2) and a forked stand.

The price and ETA (estimated time of arrival) are still under wraps

• Asus monitor will be available from middle on July for $3500

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PQ321Q-31-5-Inch-4K-Monitor/dp/B00DJ4BIKA/

• Our first foray into both 4K and IGZO territory (on an official basis) left us impressed. The ASUS PQ321 represented the technologies well with superb color uniformity, a bright and densely detailed picture, and surprisingly good gaming performance devoid of nasty anomalies that can disrupt the experience. We did see a bit of overshoot -- not unusual for a high-end panel -- but it only manifested in DisplayMate's tests, not in real-world use. The PQ321 especially shows off its capabilities when viewing high-resolution photos with an incredible amount of detail.

If you've never experienced a high-quality monitor before, firing up the PQ321 will change your outlook on things. Simply put, it's hard to go from a 4K resolution back down to 1080p, though it's a little easier to 'settle' for a 2560x1600 resolution, as is typical of 30-inch monitors. In fact, if you already own a 30-inch panel, we wouldn't suggest dropping $3,500 on a 4K upgrade, not unless you're a graphics professional who can truly take advantage of the added detail and real-estate. If that's the case, then by all means, treat yourself. It really is an impressive, gorgeous display.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/ASUS-PQ321-Ultra-HD-4K-315inch-Monitor-Review/

• Is there any topic about more current 4K monitors/TV 2016/2017 for editing?

It would be nice if we have one with budget but good enough findings. Noname with good panels.

Im trying to find out what sort of money do I need for good enough 30" 4k monitor. Any suggestions? (Shipping to Europe)

• @konjow

You can either look locally, including Samsung 40" TVs (it is around 100% sRGB). Or you can look on ebay for Korean 30-40" 4K monitors.

• So Samsung after all... I was wander what people buy/use this days. 4K became more mainstream with GH4 but not much about monitors here. I do regret my HD monitor choice so Im more carful now :)

• Cheap LG lines have issues, not suitable for monitors

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/16280/4k-cheap-lg-tv-series-are-unsuitable-as-monitors#Item_1

Samsung cheap lines are good monitors, and they have proper gamut, instead of wide one for top models.

As I said, you can also look for various smaller Korean computer 4K monitors on ebay, they are like $290-400.

• Thanks. Im on Samsung more then Philips LG from experience. The only one which I found now Ebay and amazon is Qnix.

It has good reviews it may have samsung panels. (It may die sooner then later:) but No risk No fun. Will order this one soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-UHD3216R-32-3840X2160-AMD-FreeSync-IPS-REAL-4K-LED-Monitor-/322225168763?hash=item4b061de17b:g:R08AAOSw65FXrR-o

• Above it actually lg 43UD79-B which currently is LG 43BN70U-B with the same panel I think. Little too big but at least full sRgb and no need for more monitors :) Density stil better then 24" HD which I cant update since years...