Personal View site logo
Capitalism: Imperialism and FoxConn
  • Confidential government records obtained by the Times reveal, among other things, that the city of Zhengzhou helped finance the construction of Foxconn's factory and housing for its workers; that it provides discounted energy and constructed power generators and other infrastructure to support the facility; that it has waived and deeply cut corporate and value-added taxes; that it helps Foxconn hire and train workers; that it put its factory inside a "bonded zone" that made selling devices within China easier; and that it spent a total of $10 billion to upgrade an airport to make exporting products from China quicker and easier for Apple and other companies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/technology/apple-iphone-china-foxconn.html?smid=tw-share

And this is normal, this is that is called imperialism, as government and big corporations form close bonds. It is same across all modern countries. Unfortunately, due to liberal brainwashing it frequently comes as surprise to people.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • I'm liberal and this comes as no surprise to me. Same thing happens in America, as in China here. Probably better economic support / subsidy in China. What is the surprise ? Where is the brainwashing?

• Top American businessman last year stated quite clearly that business didn't have nearly enough influence over government! Then came Trump....

• Companies routinely get tax breaks and even free infrastructure from localities. It's all about 'dem jobs, even as the local resources are substantially depleted and maybe even poisoned. Most of the profits probably make their way into some home office far away.. But labor is teetering on the edge. Reagan admin sent out union-busters and was victorious, and the past 30 years have been a continued devaluation of labor. China's soaked up much of the industrial labor, and American companies are now slowly adopting Foxconnish labor philosophy, assuming it hasn't always existed.

• Companies routinely get tax breaks and even free infrastructure from localities. It's all about 'dem jobs, even as the local resources are substantially depleted and maybe even poisoned

It is not about jobs, it is about profits of capitalists. Jobs is just thing you can say to public.

• I'm liberal and this comes as no surprise to me. Same thing happens in America, as in China here. Probably better economic support / subsidy in China. What is the surprise ? Where is the brainwashing?

You are smart liberal, I suppose. :-)