Personal View site logo
Nick Driftwood Interviews, Photokina 2016
  • 25 Replies sorted by
  • Drift come back to the darkside.....

• I am really interested in that 360 project he is pitching in those interviews :)

I believe that I have figured out that he is proposing a coded language where he can talk to us , so ask him how much the 360 rig will cost, when it will be finished and how stable will it be etc :))

• Good interviews, thanks!

• What is that lens he mentions at the end of the second interview?

1. is vitaliy kiselev is shooting himself this interview ? :-)
    2. Where this personal-view tee shirt is available ?
    3. thanks for interviews, it's pleasant to watch Nick Driftwood as a real personn :)
  • @gabilourson

1. No. 1st interview was done by me, Dieter Knüttel and Uli Wagner, 2nd by Igor Drozdovsky
    2. I produced them for Photokina 2012. If there is a demand, I can produce a mini series for pv members
    3. welcome. It was kind of fun how he was winding, not being allowed to say more than the official information. And he is a pleasant guy when you talk to him.
  • Nick Version 2.0. Small empty corporate soldier.

• Considering how much the guy has done for this community, that's an asshole remark

• @mrbill

Yes, Nick was very helpful to community. Unfortunately it is past tense for now.

I find this remark spot on, despite it makes me sad. Hope things will change as he will leave Panasonic nets or something else will happen, like open NDA breach. As I want to see open and smart guy who is not restricted by any non essential NDAs.

• To me the point is not what Nick tells us or not because of his NDA, but what Nick tells them because he is part of our film making community. Who knows, maybe Nick is the guy who said if you have 10 4:2:2 4k internal you will sell twice as many, and maybe they listened... or maybe he doesn't carry that much weight and is just enjoying his ambassador status and likes to be connected to the manufactures he uses and supports.

• what Nick tells them because he is part of our film making community

You mean not being here for a year is being active part of community?

maybe Nick is the guy who said if you have 10 4:2:2 4k internal you will sell twice as many, and maybe they listened

You mean that Japanese guys lost ability to read during last 2 years completely? Illiteracy virus stormed Japan?

or maybe he doesn't carry that much weight and is just enjoying his ambassador status and likes to be connected to the manufactures he uses and supports.

I hope so. I am more interested now in his "art" side, but do not see public side of this for last year.

• I agree. He is not been active. Hopefully in the future he will be again.

• It can be lens that Nick mentions

• Driftwood's influence can already be seen in the GH4's inclusion of an All-Intra mode with a decent bitrate. That alone is an impressive accomplishment, as I consider Panasonic one of the least responsive of the Japanese camera manufacturers. From a broader perspective, the entire hacking community can take pride in our efforts being vindicated by the current generation of HD video cameras. AVCHD's proprietary restrictions have been obsoleted by MOV and MP4 formats that support 50-100Mbps bitrates for 1080p video, and 100-150Mbps for 4K. And in spite of the remarkable progress of the last few years, the hacked GH2 still stands as a uniquely flexible benchmark in 1080p motion picture quality.

• Driftwood's influence can already be seen in the GH4's inclusion of an All-Intra mode with a decent bitrate

I do not know all internal stuff, but do not know about Nick being guy pushing GH4 Intra or even having any power to do it.
    His relations with UK office become closer exactly after GH4 shipping time.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I suspect Driftwood's influence on the GH4 was indirect rather than through Panasonic channels. I'm sure they took note of Zacuto's 2012 video camera shoot-out that prominently pitted a hacked All-Intra GH2 against a wide variety of pro and consumer cameras. The results of that competition were certainly eye-opening:

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/07/winner-2012-zacuto-camera-shootout-is

• Btw, AVCHD just use transport stream container and it has no restrictions (and even relation to bitrates), only AVCHD has standard bitrates.

MP4 and MOV are also just containers (and quite shitty ones, btw).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Agreed, AVCHD's limitations are solely due to Panasonic and Sony's proprietary edicts that restrict its maximum bitrates. In practice, the easiest way for manufacturers to bypass those restrictions was to provide higher bitrates in MP4 and MOV containers.

• Just come back Nick, all will be forgiven!

• Just come back Nick, all will be forgiven!

Fully agree. We'll be glad to see him.

• @driftwood is still a legend. Just used one of his settings on a shoot last week.

• I still use his hacks to date. Gh2 on 1080p for web content is enough.

• Some new Nick videos

• I wonder how 360 video can become of interest. Obviously it's ideal to observe places and people. 1 security cam to cover 1 room. But as recreation, it obviously fits VR sets. I think it could be a new sort of (inter)action camera. I think this camera desperately needs higher resolution and dynamic range. I think I would attach one to a diver's tank and let him (steadily) swim along reefs, in caves, through schools of fish. Another option would be a drone, flying through a forest, high-rises, caves. From Nick's video's I noticed how important it is to have the camera level. Also cutting to nearby shots and back is disorientating. Using the Youtube mouse interface is tiring. I wonder if using a VR headset is too?