Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • I haven't done extensive testing, but so far cannot recreate the stickiness issue (shooting with 12-35mm). Think there's a fair amount of trolling going on.

• @ncortinhal

Thanks.

If you record video with any of the photo modes using the red button the exposure is always fully automatic. You cant know then what the camera is doing.

• In automatic doesn't show while recording. The auto-iso limit can be accessed in M mode and not in Video-M, but you can record video from there with the same settings.

Would be great. :-) Panasonic IBSS (in body stabilization sticky)

• @ncortinhal

Thanks for checking. Does it show all exposure values (SS, aperture and iso) also in automatic video exposure modes? Does it really have auto iso limit for video?

I think it would be fun to have two stab modes for video: Sticky and not sticky.

• Vesku, i can tell you already that it shows exposure values during video recording and has auto iso limit, zebras, peaking with 2 colors of choice, the other ones i need to check.

Vitaliy, for video the only options in the menus are Stabilization ON-OFF and E-Stabilization ON-OFF. There is another one but is only available for photo mode, it's Stabilization with vertical arrows, i'm assuming to stabilize pans.

• Stabilization mode maybe have some options in menus?

• I have asked for a long time that Panasonic should make two stabilization modes for video: Rock steady mode for locked on clips and action mode for smooth and floating camera movements. Now seems that they have made the former which resists movements just like a stabilization lock button in some video cameras. Image stays still until the camera moves too much and the image jumps in new position. Panasonic should add the action mode later with FW update.

Does the G85 has any video exposure improvements like showing exposure values during video, auto iso in M with EC comp, auto iso limit, shutter speed limit, etc?

• Yes @Vitaliy_Kiselev... a bit strange... In any case, they are not showing any pan/tilt movement on their videos... and, if I'm not wrong, this 'sticking' issue happens when moving the camera...

Let's hope it's just some unities failing (that they of course will replace).

• @Skomer

I did not find video issue mentions.

• I want a 50% discount for G80! Wait, a discount did not solve the "stickiness"?? burn it down!

• That's a serious bummer. Let's see if GH5 has that 'feature'.

• @DrDave

All the pros who "tested" this camera.

Lately we saw ton of professional tests of Google smartphones camera where they did not saw even worse thing.

But here can be firmware issue as testers never do final firmware.

• OMG! My G80 arrives in 2 weeks and i pay the whole amount when preorder.

• All the pros who "tested" this camera.

• This is sad news with multiple reports hopefully Panasonic can and will move quickly to correct.

Funnies thing will be if it is hardware issue that you can't fix.

Or may be G80 after doing exactly 9999 such fast image shifts will... explode. And all was just warning.

• This is sad news with multiple reports hopefully Panasonic can and will move quickly to correct.

• :-) Already sent them an email reporting, not really sure if that will help in anything. Fingers crossed. Loving the camera so far, upgrading from a hacked GH2.

• Can be just firmware issue.

• It does the same like we see in this comparison video between the GX80 vs G80. Even in very slow smooth movements it always gives a jump, seems like the sensor is trying to stick to point A and then reacts late to the change and jumps to point B.

• @ncortinhal

Can be specific camera. Where else you saw same behavior?

• My G80 is doing the same with every lens i tested. Got it with a new 12-60 but also tried the older 14-140 mega ois and a canon fd 50 with speed booster. In photo mode the issue is not present, just if you switch to video mode or start recording.

• @hanriverprod

Did you tried using unsterilized lenses? Or it is pure sensor bases stab performance issue?

• [yt]

My g85 is doing the same thing. Footage is unusable!

• Sample videos by DPReview

Dual IS Demo