Personal View site logo
Camera Sales: All is worse and worse
  • 29 Replies sorted by
  • The other thing that comes to mind is the impact that Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji mirrorless cameras are having on both Canon and Nikon DSLR sales. I am not sure if the quote above is specifically for DSLRs or if this includes mirrorless. Either way I am sure that the mirrorless cameras are having an impact as well. So the DSLRs are getting hammered every which way IMO.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"My question is aimed to show that you put your thought in a cage actually, as most people did."

Please enlighten me and elaborate further on this thought.

• @Azo

Do you want to tell me that if on same venue each of guys who made this smartphone photos could borrow for free very good full frame camera with F2.8 zoom lens and very good, simple auto mode they won't use it instead? And even after they did it already hundred times before?

My question is aimed to show that you put your thought in a cage actually, as most people did.

• The smartphones have definately had an impact on photography. The cameras and flashes on the phones are getting better and better and on top of that they are implementing software that creates fake bokeh, shoots 4K video etc. The best thing about smartphones though is that you always have it on you and it is not cumbersome to carry around like a DSLR.

I was hired to shoot an event about 2 months ago. I had 2=D750 bodies and wireless strobes set up throughout the venue. It didn't matter that I had professional gear setup for this event. People wanted to capture their own images of the event with their own smartphones to capture that particular moment. This is despite the fact that most of the images coming out of those smartphones will be blurry or underexposed etc due to the lighting.

I guess my point is it really depends on the venue but for the most part people are ok with just capturing the moment on their smartphones even if it is not the best quality. The other fact that I would like to point out is that the cameras are really really good these days and that it is not necessary to buy the latest and greatest every time a new camera comes out.

Case in point I have a Nikon D600 from 2012 that I use to take pictures at the beach. The images that I get with my D600 are just as good as the D750. The only difference is the D600 sucks with lowlight focus/video quality other then that same image quality.

When I say sucks in video quality I mean in comparison to the GH2 GH4 D750 etc. The video quality is ok but there is noticeable aliasing and moire etc.