Personal View site logo
Samsung: Story of Idiots
  • “The latest 2016 TV models from Samsung will not feature 3D functionality. We have made this decision based on the limited consumer demand for 3D, and the small amount of content being produced in this format. We are instead investing in producing our best ever TV picture, SUHD TV with Quantum Dot Display, as well as innovating elsewhere in our business to deliver an immersive 3D experience.”

Note that in case of Samsung 3D is a active, so actually it means that all they can save here is a little margin by putting cheaper slower LCD panel and not including glasses.

Samsung marketing machine now pushes SUHD (marketing gimmick) and Quantum Dots (just tech to widen color gamut in case of TVs).

This move follows two horrible mistakes.

First was stopping development of AMOLED large panels (now it is big fight in management on whom to assign responsible for this).

Second was killing cameras and smartphone development software groups who worked on Tizen. Hence poor TV guys are now abandoned and alone.

Interesting thing that "lack of content" in 3D could happen only under horrid copyrats capitalist state. As they just prevent content accumulation and concentration due to being interested to sell only latest and most marketed content or one they licensed (best approach is to license as few as possible and as shitty as possible, makes more margins).

• 55 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, Samsung thinks they know what people want.

Like this fridge with a built-in camera...

I agree... they might be idiots. If they go on like this all they've got left is smartphones. Until the Chinese, Huawei, Xiaomi etc take over for real.

• @Cinegain

I love idea of refrigerator with big screen on it.

And some AI, and big hand and mouth, so he can consume products itself.

• "The world’s largest maker of TVs by shipments added new tile ads to the main menu bar of its premium TVs in the U.S. in June 2015 and is planning to expand the program to Europe in coming months, people familiar with the matter said.

Samsung is working to expand its pool of advertising clients by using agencies and its ad-sales team in New York, according to one of these people, and by using software updates to retroactively activate tile ads on older smart TV models."

Well, well.

• It took two years for idiotic managers to go backwards in progress from this

to just watch replica

If you ever used smart watches you know how unhandy is old form factor.

img1299.jpg
    567 x 544 - 42K
    img1298.jpg
    800 x 557 - 105K
  • Progress of management improvement continue

Samsung managers to get around $1 extra profit from $800 smartphone used cheap new supplier of batteries. Overall up to 5 millions phones must be refurbished. 2.5m of them are in distributor channels and 1m of them had been actually sold.

Due to big hurry to outpace Apple Samsung did not performed any prolonged and detailed test of batteries. And this resulted either in bad battery controller (inside battery) or, more probably, bad construction and cheap materials leading to internal short circuit and fire.

Btw, also officially stated numbers did not match any marketing sales numbers Samsung published before.

• Capitalism

South Korean authorities let Samsung withhold from sick workers and their families crucial information about the chemicals they are exposed to at its computer chip and display factories, an Associated Press investigation has found.

A worker-safety group has documented more than 200 cases of serious illnesses, including leukaemia, lupus, lymphoma and multiple sclerosis, among former Samsung semiconductor and LCD workers.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/08/samsung-endangered-workers-health-south-korea-160810064013370.html

• Samsung SDI supplied 70% of the Galaxy Note 7's battery cells , while the remaining 30% was supplied by China-based Amperex Technology, the report noted, citing Korea-based media reports, adding that the battery modules were outsourced to China-based makers for production.

• According to internal data some of camera department developers had been transferred to this...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/747005876/welt-the-smart-belt-for-fashion-and-health

Smart belts, one of the top priorities of current management.

img1358.jpg
    655 x 494 - 38K
  • Specifically referencing "Story of Idiots", the whole Note 7 phone thing is truly idiotic because they could have made the phones with easily replaceable batteries, like the Note 4. Idiots. Trying to make a phone that will be thrown away sooner by burying the battery deep inside with a ribbon connector attached like you know who. Disgusting. Make phones without replaceable batteries should be illegal; it's bad for the environment.

• @DrDave

Make phones without replaceable batteries should be illegal; it's bad for the environment.

Proper way to say it - phones with build in non standard batteries is bad for all people except... ruling class. It is good for their profits.

Next you made proposal that in reality has little meaning:

Law is the will of the ruling class transformed into legal regulations.

Print it, and read each time you will come with idea for capitalists ruling class to make laws in your interests.

• I see this firsthand in my own work every year (totally different industry). Our product managers are offered bonuses each year to reduce cost by 3 points here, 5 points there. All other members of the team (who are not offered these same bonuses) weigh in on the why switching to the "cheaper material" is a bad idea, but they do it anyway. And hey guess what? Recall city! And this is only the tip of the iceberg. There's a whole other dark side going on in China (where we have our factory). Our suppliers are constantly getting changed without anyone's knowledge or sign-off and is based solely on the kickback to the factory manager based on a backroom handshake. This results in more recalls or an increase in warranty claims. Not that much different to how the rest of world is run these days I suppose. Sucks that those of us in the trenches are the only ones in the company that want to make cool, innovative shit anymore that customers would be truly stoked on and pay top dollar for. Top brass is only concerned with cutting costs (at any cost). Meanwhile blind to the fact the recall costs and damage to brand image are cutting into that profit margin more than they're actually aware of. No long term vision. Pretty dumb for supposedly educated people.

• Meanwhile blind to the fact the recall costs and damage to brand image are cutting into that profit margin more than they're actually aware of. No long term vision. Pretty dumb for supposedly educated people.

It has nothing to do with long term vision.

Our product managers are offered bonuses each year to reduce cost by 3 points here, 5 points there.

Such bonuses are set by owners (or directors board in large corporations). With only purpose to increase profits here and now. Yes, issues happens. But they do not care much.

• Samsung stated that they have build in kill switch for some models of their smartphones and will use it on Note 7 later.

• New chapter in our story.

Strong rumors are flying around that Samsung S8 design requirement had been updated to exclude 3.5mm audio connector and follow Apple by using only special proprietary connector.

• "Samsung S8 design requirement had been updated to exclude 3.5mm audio connector"
    I hate this. This is disgusting.

• You need to know something of Korea to understand Samsung.....I lived here 10 years I think I know a bit. The truth is Samsung is the company that everyone in Korea wants to work at, it is full of the smartest people in the country. The thing is Korea is highly hierarchal, so while the company has tons of human resources in the end its a full corporate structure that decides the direction of Samsung. Apple was one man and is probably now a small collection of people making major direction decisions. Samsung has done what most companies here have done and Japan has done, they copy, copy, copy....and then eventually they innovate. But at corporate level they have just decided to blanket bomb the tech sector and throw every idea at the wall they can and see what sticks. In the end the therefore the leadership of Samsung will always be unimaginative. Apple's strength was always leading and not following....now Cook and Apple has started to follow Samsung, which is sad cause now they are just another tech company of hundreds churning out mediocre products. The biggest sign Apple dropped the ball and stopped being a leader was when Jobs didn't want a smaller iPad I think because he tended to dictate to people what they should use, not ask them. Now you have maybe 6 or 7 iPads now..silly. I predict Apple will go the way of Microsoft, IBM etc. They will do ok but another tech company will take the leadership with a new product out of the blue sometime in the next decade or so.

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

― Henry Ford

• Samsung will spend around $800 to buy Germany’s Tallest Building - Commerzbank Tower.

Smart investment :-)

• After more reports of replacement Galaxy Note 7 phones catching fire, Yonhap News reports that Samsung has temporarily suspended production. The Korean paper cited an anonymous source working at one of Samsung's suppliers, and the company has not yet commented. Already, AT&T and T-Mobile have said they will stop Galaxy Note 7 sales and replacements while investigations into the incidents continue.

Total losses from Note 7 issues are many times greater than all Samsung consumer cameras division expenses (and it was not unprofitable!). Funnies thing that issue is due deeds of same people who closed NX division.

• And they did THIS

Install MAcOS on it and you are set

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZSFEJ3/

img2588.jpg
    664 x 788 - 49K
  • This is it, the end of Samsung mobile department as we know it

Samsung will ask all global partners to stop sales and exchanges of Galaxy Note 7 while further investigation takes place.

Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note 7 or replacement Galaxy Note 7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available.

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-will-ask-all-global-partners-to-stop-sales-and-exchanges-of-galaxy-note7-while-further-investigation-takes-place

Big changes will follow. And, as I said, it is same smart managers who closed NX line.

• So, Samsung fully and finally ceased any Note 7 production and marketing. No Notes 7 for anyone ever. For owners they will ship special fire proof boxes so all phones could be sent back and destroyed. Total estimate including replacement and stock is around 7-8 million devices.

• I'm guessing there was an actual scientist/engineer who told them exactly what would happen and they ignored him (or her...)

• I'm guessing there was an actual scientist/engineer who told them exactly what would happen and they ignored him (or her...)

I don't think so. It was just big rush, and certain design issues, I think.

Note that actual number of smartphones with issues is tiny. So you need to test thousands and thousands to find this. Issue can be also related to bad smartphone handling paired with few other things.

• It is sad to see all this.