Personal View site logo
USB FF for GH1/2 ?
  • Just saw the catchit deal for the Cinematics USB FF (for Canon DSLR only)
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/52/79754f01888a021abc41b7484c6c1a.jpg

@Vitaliy_Kiselev
    Is something similar possible for the GH1/2?
    (A combination of a hack and a hardware device might do the trick)
  • 10 Replies sorted by
  • I am very confused regarding todays Catchit deal... mmm... considering that @VK himself mentioned that Canon USB FF was a bit of a joke...

Also he mentioned somewhere on this forum that USB FF was basically impossible.
  • @alcomposer

I didn't tell that it is "a joke". I told that it is not replacement for normal follow focus.
    It is just different thing. It has many advantages (especially 2nd generation as in deal), it also has disadvantages due to Canon protocol limits.

>Is something similar possible for the GH1/2?

It is possible. Not USB.
    But I clearly can get sound volume value and use it for focus, so Panasonic FF can be made much simpler (being just simple noise generator with volume pot).
    Problem lies in amount of stuff that must be made to understand how focusing works :-)
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"It is possible. Not USB.
    But I clearly can get sound volume value and use it for focus, so Panasonic FF can be made much simpler (being just simple noise generator with volume pot)."

Thats fantastic news!!! :-)

"Problem lies in amount of stuff that must be made to understand how focusing works :-)"

Can you give some more details here? Do you mean, the problem is to connect the volume reading data in camera to the focus process in the right way to get predictable (linear) response?
  • Problem is to find proper routines and understand how they work. Not easy thing.
  • Sorry Vitaliy,.. I haven't played with the USB FF - however I know what people expect from FF and Digital wireless FF units- there is a reason that they are so darn $$!

So I may have read too much into your statement before. (that said - if its not a 'replacement' then I don't really know what you would use it for?) As remote FF is a whole different ball game. Maybe just for setting focus on a steadicam?
  • @alcomposer

Under "not replacement" I mean that Canon protocol limits available speeds.
    But if you need to move between predefined focus points, and have USM Canon lenses it could be even better solution.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Ok... so no speed cranking then on USB FF.
    (got to love the speed crank)
  • @alcomposer, you have to do research on the USB FF yourself, to know if it will be adequate for your needs. I wouldn't just make an assumption that it won't be good for you. They keep improving the devices and who knows the thing might just be perfect for your needs.
  • @Aria,
    I wasn't 'assuming' anything. Maybe in the distant future when Panny comes out with there 1.1 Firmware and Audio FF is addressed and I get one of those X lenses - then yes- maybe I will look into it.

Right now I am enjoying using nice Manual glass anyway. :-D (GH2+Manual+VK=SUPER)

Besides I am learning slowly however that 'do your own research' turns into 'buy the thing and work it out'- which is cool.

I only commented on this topic as I remembered incorrectly a comment of VK's. (which has since been rectified). Besides - I only mentioned speed cranking as the Canon Protocol currently limits speed.

Cheers
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev any news on the "remote FF"?

A bit off-topic:

Is there anything in the pipeline for the GH1 (FF, s-log profiles,..)? As I upgraded to the GH2, I want to know if its safe to sell my GH1. Or if I will regret selling it in a few weeks.

Or will every new development quickly be portet to the GH2, and there is no point in keeping the GH1?