Personal View site logo
What's more important to you: creativity, originality, or authenticity?
  • These days, with HDSLR cameras at the hands and finger tips of the peasants and layman, what deciphers the quality work from the pandering; the pithy, half-hearted expertise, from the know-nothing erstwhile, passionate fireball? What's to separate quality and and it's varying qualitative principals and more over, who's to judge? What are the important aspects of your work shooting with HDSLRs (besides a paycheck)?
  • 4 Replies sorted by
  • From what I've gathered, if you want a guaranteed paycheck, then none of the above. :-)

However, I'd love to hear which the regular earners prioritise.
  • You might be pleasantly surprised by the number of paying gigs feature the 5D/7D. Almost all of the additional cameras on shows like NCIS-LA use them. Crikey! We regularly use GoPros for most of the stunts. We used the 7D on 2nd Unit of 'In Time,' with the Zeiss CP, looked great. These are all paying gigs I've been working more and more low-budg, web based material using DSLRs. Just finished a Funny or Die spot yesterday using a 5D ("Katherin Heigl Hates Balls," it's funny and informative). As a matter of fact, the last six FOD jobs I've been a part of have been 5D/7D and even 60-D. All of these have been mounted on some janky, bootleg set-up with an abysmally low-end RedRock FF and rails. I had Personal-View up on my laptop and the guys went nuts. They had never seen the likes of TrusMT, Lanparte, or even Cinematics. I only bring this up because a close friend of mine was turned down by a producer of a potentially creative project because his rig "...didn't look professional enough." I like creating my own projects, obviously, but having a say in what you create is always rewarding. Especially if you're getting paid to do so.
  • @TenaciousJake

"I only bring this up because a close friend of mine was turned down by a producer of a potentially creative project because his rig "...didn't look professional enough."

Yea, the people who run Hollywood are absolutely retarded. Producers, executives, and managers should have no say what-so-ever in the creative process. I've worked with a few who would just tell editors to change something, for no reason, besides that they "noticed it"... regardless of weather or not it was good or bad.
  • If they're not one and the same, you're in trouble.

Good question though, as we live in superficial arty-farty times.