KineFinity Terra 5K & 6K cameras or 5K for under $5K
  • image image image image image image image image image

• Terra 6K has the same sensor as KineMAX 6k
    • Terra 5K: 5K 60FPS, 4K 100FPS, 3K 150FPS, 2K 200FPS
    • Option of global shutter, native iso 800
    • 15 stops DR with rolling shutter and dual gain mode
    • 13 stops DR with global shutter
    • RAW 12bit + ProRes 10bit internal recording, KineLog3, 2.5" SSD
    • About the same size as a 5DIII (weighs less too, only 920grams)
    • HDMI out with type A connector (big connector), 3.5mm Mic in
    • SDI and XLR are there as well.
    • New KINIMON and KINEGRIP 2 has also been released (uses Sony BP-U30 instead of Nikon EN-EL15 batteries).

• The 6K version costs slightly more (at around $5,400 US or 34,900 RMB on the Chinese mainland).

• It features 6K at up to 25fps, 4K at up to 100 fps and 2K at 225fps.

KineFinity cameras can use standard off the shelf SSDs (like the BMPC4K does), so no need to waste your money on expensive MINI-MAGs like with RED cameras.

• 65 Replies sorted by
  • New price

sa12240.jpg
    800 x 391 - 30K
  • A History of the Kinefinity company (google translate is your friend!):

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/kfL34lPKCA4ZO0f9VbBfWw

Another article which is in English though, worth a read:

http://kinecommunity.com/kinefinity-past-present-future/

• This is a rough cut of a quick exposure, color, rolling shutter, and resolution test for Arri Alexa mini, Red Epic Helium, Terra 6k, and Terra 4k.

Say what you want about Red, but they always kept us informed.

RED has also abandoned products and changed plans.

• I paid for the pre-order of the 5K more than a year-and-half ago. I did it because I was in China anyway, so the support would be easy to access. What support? They never gave any updates on the camera's delay, via email or their website and never were concerned about the customers. Now they just abandon it and say "oops". So don't think it's just because of the U.S. market, they just don't really care. If they did, they would offer a discount to all of us who waited for a camera that doesn't exist. Say what you want about Red, but they always kept us informed.

• not sure whats happening with them, but here is another camera coming. the 4k Terra is barely shipping..This is from the Kinefinty Facebook page

"Very glad that TERRA 4K began to ship to clients worldwide in this month. TERRA 4K features native high frame rate, very low rolling effects, dual native ISO and intermediate codec. More and more clients got their TERRA 4K cameras and enjoyed these latest technologies to film wonderful visual products. This is the essence and meaning of a camera maker, also it is reason why we keep innovating in the field.

However, there are some times suffering pity and waiting. As you may guess, TERRA 5K project is suspended till our component vendor fixes some important issues. Tons of efforts and investments had been spent on the project from 2015, but it still could not meet our stringent requirements on image quality and stability. We have to say sorry to the customers who preordered the camera, people who wait for the camera. Hope you could switch to TERRA 4K and our new camera model. We do believe you will satisfy on these production models.

At the beginning of Feb 2018, Kinefinity will release a new high-end camera which is in phrase of pre-production now.

From Mar 2018, we will start trade-in plan. To make the TERRA platform better and research in future technology, the firmware of KineMINI and KineMAX ceased to update. An attractive trade-in plan will be provided for KineMINI and KineMAX owners.

Happy new year!"

• @sammy

Thanks, I made new topic

• So they skipped the 5k terra all together and now a new 4k?? https://instagram.com/p/BYClabfg30K/

• I wrote to Kinefinity- they said they can ship Terra 6k in 8 weeks. So at least the 6k is very much shipping.

• @sammy

They certainly had been at NAB. So, not dead.

• Any PV members have a Terra 6k? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

• Is the 5k Terra dead? Never came out, and seems not much news on it from NAB

• Great! :) kinefinity terra 6k shipping now and terra 5k in October :)

• any new news guys?

• Asia/China is their home market, I think it is all they can do just to keep up with their heavy demand there! Thus why they haven't put huge efforts into heavily marketing and distributing it overseas just yet.

• we'll see if they can produce more than a handful of cameras. Never seen any of them in the wild. Vaporware?

• Yup different sensors. Wonder where they're getting them from?

• http://www.kinefinity.com/shop/terra_preorder/?lang=en pretty sure they are different sensors, look here

• The sensor is the same, however Kinefinity has promised to redsegn the architecture and add +2 DR stops :)

• True true, anything new people will tend to talk about more!

But even so, I've seen more people express a desire for the unknown 5K than the 6K!

• Ironfilm , I think most people are talking about the 5k Terra because it suppose to have a new sensor ,with that comes an unknown ,we already know how the 6k sensor looks like (as it's the same on the kinefinity big body cam) which is an over all very good sensor ..the 5k people are talking that might bring in better over all image and that's the key with most people and me rather than the 5k vs 6k

• I bet KineFinity is surprised by the interest in the 5K, as that seems to be all the talk online is about it!

Probably because a) it has global shutter & b) it is $1K cheaper for the body! (but strangely the 5K packages only save you $500 vs 6K packages??? Why??? Makes no sense to me! Unless the 5K body only is a small loss leader relatively speaking so they can get the "5K for 5K & 6K for 6K" headlines!)

• Really waiting for footage from the 5k ,suppose to have a new sensor ,I have the ursa 4.6 now ,my main issue with it so far is the size (used to dslr) and lighter weight and the shadow information (not as clean and not as much latitiude in shadows compared to highlights) .so would like to see footage from new 5k