Personal View site logo
Panasonic GX80, GX85, or even GX7 Mark II in Japan
  • 417 Replies sorted by
  • Less noise in video but much more noise in audio:-)

• Very impressed with the noise compared to the GH4, even cropping the the frame to match the GH4, the noise is much controlled.

compare.png.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
  • There also appears to be more detail in the GX85 crop compared to the GH4, despite the cropping.

• I wonder how much the GX85 better high iso is the result of better in-camera processing and how much sensor itself. Can the GH4 4k video be as good when post processed heavily?

Is GX85 RAW photos better in high iso than GH4 RAW photos?

Rumors say the GH5 trusts heavy processing and not so superior sensor.

• I guess the sensor is kind of new, albeit being 16mp. When the new 20mp Sony m4/3 sensor was first listed (IMX269), another 16mp sensor was also listed too (IMX159) - I guess that it is the GX85 sensor.

Don't know if this sensor was previously used in another camera, but for sure it is not the E-M5 mark I sensor (IMX109); don't know if there was some intermediate sensor numbers between these two.

• @Vesku We know two things are different in the GX85 relevant to IQ:

1. There is no anti-aliasing filter, which should increase resolution for the same sensor and processing (if they are the same) and
    2. improved processing has reduced moire that would otherwise increase as a result of the lack of an anti-aliasing filter. The processor chip is I think new, along with algorithms.
  • I ran the GH4 clip (above) through NeatVideo and even still, I think the GX80 clip looks (a lot) better!

• img903.jpg
    800 x 276 - 39K
  • Ha ha The GH4 has a better score but the stills and video look better on the GX85.
    Is it not humorous?

• Some aspects of quality, image or otherwise, cannot be captured by numbers.

• Since DxO stated in their GX7 analysis that with the Oly 75mm the GX7 was LESS sharp than a E-P1 (yeah, the one with the 12mp sensor), I've taking their reports with huge reservations.

(I have both cameras and the GX7 is way sharper)

• 12-32mm + 45-150mm Lumix lenses + ND.

• Not handheld.

• Bolt on Minolta 50mm. Camera says: Change aperture? I hit the 50mm button. Double tap on the image to get focus magnification. Then shoot handheld with IS on my lens from 1979. So, I know that Olympus pioneered this tech, and Panasonic is late to the game, but this is pretty good tech. It's worth remembering that the reason I tried m43 in the first place was to use my old lenses.
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/26/d38b7016df3437b42f75f1aca3ca00.jpg

• Yup. I found an old Olympus Zuiko 9-18mm zoom - unstabilized - that now can be employed (with adaptor) for handheld 4K video, using the unique perspective of an ultra wide-angle lens. This lens was the lightest and smallest ultrawide zoom 43 lens made by Olympus, and it is indeed small, not having to have OIS and not being very fast. The autofocus sounds like gears being mashed on an 18-wheeler, but it does the job to attain focus. I just never let it move during a shot.

• This makes use of many of the features of the GX85 - inconspicuousness, handheld stability, small and fast lenses, low light prowess, fast focus, dof tricks, touch-screen focus pull, in-camera audio, in-camera color grading:

Lumix 25mm f1.7 and 12-23mm lenses.

• An attempt at some street night videography with the Oly 75mm f/1.8:

• An attempt to capture what its like to be out on a sunny day through dawn, near water, with unimpaired vision:

with Lumix 12-32mm and 35-100mm pancake lenses.

• That's some impressive unimpaired vision work there markr041 ;-)

Further to my post above: I've tried this before, the night street videography with the Oly 75mm f/1.8. I find the 150mm equiv focal length completely unusable hand held. Even with a monopod I get mostly unusable results. I find it possible to get reasonably steady static shots if handled with great care (kneeling, monopod steadied against chest or with the tilting eyepiece resting against eye socket (GX8)), however as soon as any movement's introduced it's incredibly challenging to keep things smooth. The monopod also requires a certain degree of deliberacy which invariably draws a lot of unwanted attention.

I tried with a Pilotfly H1+ once and did a little better, but still the panning was a bit of a mess. Most problematic was keeping a moving subject where I wanted it in the frame. The slight delay in the gimbal's response was too much for that focal length. And of course it also draws its fair share of attention from curious onlookers.

So I had no expectations of the GX80's IBIS doing any better. I even almost left the Oly 75mm at home, thinking I'd just take the 20mm f/1.7 and Oly 45mm f/1.8.

But I'm glad I did take the 75mm because I couldn't be any more thrilled with the results. I'm genuinely stupified at how capable it is. It's so much fun to handhold a 150mm equiv non-stabilised lens and come away with rock solid results and reasonably smooth pans.

• @fahrenheit Is that the new L. monochrome setting in the GX85? I like the look in any case. IBIS is really good too.

• @markr041 It was the L.Monochrome yeah. I quite like it as well. Some of the shots were a little washed out but I think that's something a lens hood would've helped with.

• Playing with the old Olympus Zuiko 43 (not m43) 140-600mm macro zoom.

Why does one need a 600mm macro lens? Here's a hint (from the last part of the video):

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj572/markr042/Macro%2011_zpsxdkgqnxa.jpg

• Thanks for the review-link. I was 80% sold on getting a GX85/GX80, but the video-part-review from the "art-of-photography" guy seemed so disappointing. So here we go again: sure this would be a step up from the LX100 I already own, but maybe it really does pay to wait for the GH5.