Personal View site logo
Birds are smart for a reason
  • Some birds achieve primate-like levels of cognition, even though their brains tend to be much smaller in absolute size. This poses a fundamental problem in comparative and computational neuroscience, because small brains are expected to have a lower information-processing capacity. Using the isotropic fractionator to determine numbers of neurons in specific brain regions, here we show that the brains of parrots and songbirds contain on average twice as many neurons as primate brains of the same mass, indicating that avian brains have higher neuron packing densities than mammalian brains. Additionally, corvids and parrots have much higher proportions of brain neurons located in the pallial telencephalon compared with primates or other mammals and birds. Thus, large-brained parrots and corvids have forebrain neuron counts equal to or greater than primates with much larger brains. We suggest that the large numbers of neurons concentrated in high densities in the telencephalon substantially contribute to the neural basis of avian intelligence.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016/06/07/1517131113.full

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Very interesting.

• Thanks for sharing this. Fascinating.

Perhaps this dense neuron packing is related to the fact that avian cells' mitochondria generate cellular energy slightly differently than mammals--using uncoupling that results in lower free radical damage. This is already believed to contribute to why birds live so much longer than similar sized mammals.This may also allow more neurons and therefore similar problem solving capacity with less expensive brains than primates need.

The corvids where I live are just fascinatingly clever. I see them open garbage containers together and do other things that definitely qualify as ape-level cognition.

• Also, while I am fascinated by the science, I have some ethical problems with decapitating so many animals to study why they are so intelligent.