Personal View site logo
Blackmagic Video Assist VS Atomos Ninja Blade
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks for your views @balazer. But i read somewhere that the BMVA also has an IPS screen as non IPS trail on touch. Also, read at many places that the fan is not noisy and others who said that its audible enough. I was kind of sure about the BMVA but you have made me thinking again. Only thing which has made me thinking now is the 150$ investment in SSD's (I already had the SD cards needed for the BMVA).

Also, Could you suggest what Sandisk SSD is compatible with the Blade? Preferably 120GB as that way i can buy 2 of them if i decide to go for it. Need to make a decision by today.

• Blade also has lots more exposure tools (false colour, vectorscope, waveforms, etc.) It can also take supercheap Hitachi spinning hard drives, costing around 60/70€/$ for 1 TB of storage.

VA has SDI options, which the Blade doesn't

• The Blackmagic Video Assist has a fan and is not silent. The Blade is silent. The VA records 1080/60p. The Blade only records up to 1080/30p, and won't even accept a 1080/60p signal. (I'm not sure if the GH4 is capable of generating a 1080/30p signal, if that frame rate matters to you). Blade has LUTs. VA has a 1080p screen, but from experience I can tell you that 1080p on a 5" monitor is pretty much pointless. You'll barely be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. The Blade can extract 24p from a 30i signal, whereas the VA would just record it as 30i. (I don't think it matters for the GH4, but it could for some other cameras) The Blade has an IPS screen.