Personal View site logo
Looking for best affordable blimp
  • What is your opinion on Rode Blimp?
    May be get Rycote?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Used only first option here. Rode Blimp is sturdy and affordable as you want.

• Vote for rode.

• I have a Rode blimp which I had modified to accept a Rode NT4 stereo mic for field recordings with the mic going into a Sound devices USBPre2 which feeds a digital SPDIF signal to a Tascam DR-100 MkII....

Whilst it is doing the job I wouldnt call ths particular product "sturdy" as a previous poster has described them..in fact just yesterday I was fitting the furry wind protector and the plastic end bit of the cord used to secure the wind protector came off in my hand and I wasnt using a lot of force to tighten it either.

The overall design of the microphone holder and plastic shroud also seems to be a little bit flimsy - I would be wary of damaging it through rough handling.

The handle design is also a bit dodgy....it uses a tightening screw / lever to position the handle and I am loathe to overtighten the screw for fear of stripping the relatively small thread...due to this it can sometimes move position if you jerk it around too much.

Having said that it is doing the job of minimising wind noise very well...and for the price it seems a reasonable deal.

• I used Rode, works good.

What are other cheap options?

• The ProAim model is pretty cheap in price, and most probably works well. Only thing that bothers me is the fur used, if it's too thin, it won't perform as well. Otherwise, unless the mic suspension is pretty bad, it should work as the principle is quite simple.

• What is your opinion on Rode Blimp?

Hang out on professional sound forums and you'll likely see a fair amount of negativity about the Rode Blimp, but never mind, ignore it! They're referring to v1, which wasn't so good. v2 is heaps better! Is what I bought.

May be get Rycote?

It is only a bit more in some areas, so perhaps worth getting. But if you're in Australia/NZ like I am, then the Rode Blimp is substantially cheaper!

The ProAim model

I used this for a year before getting my own blimp (the Rode one). The ProAim and similar models are better than not having a blimp at all..... but the Rode Blimp is far far superior!