Personal View site logo
Zoom H4 Pro recorder

The Pro features the same high performance, low-noise mic preamps as our acclaimed Zoom H5 and H6 Handy Recorders, with recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz. The improved noise floor (-120 dBu EIN) captures audio at lower volumes with less noise and fewer artifacts.

• XLR (balanced input) / standard phone (unbalanced input) combo jack,
      • Input impedance:
      • (Using balanced input) 3 kΩ or more, pin 2 hot
      • (Using unbalanced input) 470 kΩ or more
      • Input gain:
      • (Using balanced input) −16 dB to +43 dB
      • (Using unbalanced input) -30 dB to +32 dB
    • Built-in stereo mic:
      • Unidirectional condenser microphone
      • Sensitivity: -45 dB/1 Pa at 1 kHz
      • Input gain: -16 dB to +51 dB
      • Maximum sound pressure input: 140 dB SPL
    • External mic:
      • Mini stereo phone jack
      • Input impedance: 2 kΩ or more
      • Input gain: - 16 dB to +51 dB
    • Line/phone output
      • LINE Output load impedance: 10 kΩ or more
      • LINE rated output level: -10 dBu
      • PHONE: 20 mW + 20 mW (into 32Ω load)

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h4n-pro-handy-recorder

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Hmmm interesting. I wonder who would buy this over the current H5 and H6, beside the cheaper price. I owned the original H4n and didn't care for it. Sold it and now I have the Tascam DR-70D and couldn't be happier.

• Lots of people seem to want the more flexible overdubbing features of the H4n compared to the H5/H6.

Fran

• Ah didn't know the H5/H6 don't have those features. Never used those features on the old H4n but I'm sure other people will.

• @LiquidAlpinist I purchased an H4n and sold it the same week. The preamp on it is a bit more weak than the one on a Tascam. I'm currently waiting for my DR-40 to arrive, but so far (comparing the H2 to the DR-05) I really prefer the Tascam over the Zoom models.