Personal View site logo
Werner Herzog MasterClass....some questions.
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • @jleo - well, when it comes to Hollywood and truth, anything goes. Still, I will quote Martel Cullen, "Cynicism is not a successful way of life".

• Looks like Herzog is making at least 5 films this year. Although Herzog makes Range Rovers, Hollywood makes M1 Abram tanks. Most likely "Masterclass" INC made him an offer he can't refuse. $90 x 100,000 -300,000 people is a good haul. Whereas TED talks charges a fortune to attend live events but gives away the content for free.

I think Orson Welles said something very similar like " You can learn everything to make a movie in 15 minutes." but Welles and Herzog have life experience outside of films. These type of quotes appeal to the lazy gene in us! In LA there's a whole sub-industry of film workshops, classes and masterclasses which feed off the hunger to find the key to making it in the business. You can literally spend a lifetime going from class to class and never find "the key".

• If you want the class, pay up. Herzog is the real thing, and $90 is a bargain. My question is, why is Herzog teaching instead of making films? I suspect that he can't get funding based on the traditional Big model, where every shot requires 35 people on set. He could, though, get with today's tech and make a salable film based on the Small model - DP, sound guy, and PA, with everyone, including the actors pitching in with the physical work. Imagine the press he could get from that.