Personal View site logo
Filmmode Settings Tests: detail handling, color shift, exposure, etc.
  • 60 Replies sorted by
  • Nostalgic is not for daylight shooting; it looks great when you want make the most of the warm tones of incandescent light. At 2700K, there's not much blue light to work with anyway, and trying to make it look white just adds chroma noise. Nostalgic puts the nighttime balance where it belongs.
  • from the testing i have done the tone curve is applied the same in jpg as in avchd so i think the dpreview results are valid for video. you are of course free to confirm this for yourself. i think any difference in details is only to do with how that part of the image is affected by the tone curve. to take your example, the highlights have more detail in cinema because the cinema tone curve preserves highlights, at the expense of crushing shadows, which you can see in the dpreview film mode graphs compared to other modes. for middle grey, nostalgic is about 1/3 stop overexposed, and cinema is about 2/3 underexposed, as compared to smooth and standard. the "one little page with different pictures of each mode" provides all this information. you are of course free to do all the testing you like, i'm just saying that if you want "objective", the dpreview info is already there and completely relevant, imho.
  • Here is a test I did with Cinema mode:

• We've had some luck with getting a Nostalgic to look more neutral with +4Blue and +3green.

Our best results though usually come from smooths and standard (and glad you included standard in this test!).
  • @sb1 The only thing on dpreview on filmmodes is about dynamic range (there's also one little page with different pictures of each mode). But dynamic range isn't the only way that a filmmode affects the processing of the image (not to mention that their tests were done for stills). For example, the point I made in my original post about how each mode handles details.
  • the dpreview gh2 review already has a page on this with all the modes measured properly
  • I hope that we can do better then the fim modes that we currently have. I can do decent stuff with cinema but I would love more shadow detail, with the new high data rates I can do so much more in post.
  • Yes, hopefully. But I'm a little confused by your color shift to yellow in scare quotes. :-)
  • 'colour shit to yellow'?! Seriously though, don't really like any of them and I know that Chris is working on (hopefully) better settings.