Personal View site logo
GH4 Memory Cards. What works and what doesn’t?
  • 38 Replies sorted by

Another write benchmark, cards other than Toshiba is not good cards here.

gh4_7.jpg
    647 x 446 - 69K
  • Hi all, Iv'e been trying out a £30 Samsung SDXC 64gb Class10 U-1, write=40MB, read 80MB. This is truly an amazing card for my GH2 & GH4, i was trying to get the card to trip up but it wouldn't. I first took 900 pics at a family party, then shot loads of 96fps + 4k + UHD 4k + 1080-100mb and 200mb, took ages to fill the thing up, i deleted files then continued with some 4k. I have not benched marked this card yet so i cant tell you its max write speed, but i did pick up the card for £30 NEW, sealed from CEX central London. Also the samsung and Sandisk does not show up in their search engine. you have to phone or ask in store. image I also spotted a newer samsung SDXC 64gb thats slightly faster than mine in TESCO for £45, im going to try this one next....hope this info helps stu.

20140522_184148_smaller.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    20140522_184148_smaller-1080.jpg
    1920 x 2560 - 2M
  • Will that card work fine with all modes on the GH4? I've heard that the Extreme Pro series is not necessary.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-32GB-UHS-I-Memory/dp/B00MBFPT44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435574861&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+extreme

Do faster card allows me to capture more details/mbits in general?

• hi @Alexauwa I just went to my local electronic reseller and he told me he owns the gh4 himself and he had problems recording 4K with SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB SDXC memory (95 MB/s, Class 10, UHS-I, U3). So he sold me the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDXC memory (280 MB/s, Class 10, UHS-II, U3) which cost me $98. I will try it later and then post my experience. Maybe he is just a good seller, who knows. I couldn't find appropriate actual information about the right memory cards for the gh4. The first posting in this thread to me seems just too old to be considered seriously for help to choose a proper memory I find.

• I have 2 Transcend 128 GB cards with 95 MS/s They cost 65€ and I almost only film in 4K. Never had any problems with it. But I also used slower Sandisc cards than that which also worked fine. In my opinion the 280 MB/s are absolutely not neccessary.

• @AKED which one, the R95MB/s (read) + W85 MB/s (write) or the R95MB/s + W60MB/s?

• I have this one: R95MB/s + W60MB/s

But I have also filmed with Class 10 cards of Sandics anf Panasonic ant they worked too.
    At least for me at that time.

• Thanks, I ordered the R95MB/s + W85MB/s which is already much cheaper than the 280MB/s. Reconsidering that 1920x1080 has the highest bitrate with the gh4 I will mostly record in one of these modes.

• Been using the gold Transcend class 3, 128 GB card also, mostly in 4K mode and have had an almost perfect success rate until recently when shooting 4K in the V-log profile. The recording was stopped with a message something like "due to the limitation of the card". This happened twice during the shoot but then many times there was no such problem. Could it be that V-log is more demanding? I've lost confidence in the card now when shooting V-Log for anything where you might have only one chance to get the shot.

• I need a new SD Card for my new GH4 to be used along my beloved hacked GH2 with FM setting.

I'm still using the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 64 GB 95 MB/s Class 10 UHS-1" Is there any new product that will work flawlessly with this setting and GH4? Should I buy another card?

• This forum in the past used to be a place where people helped each other on our common passion. Now everybody seem more interested to post their opinion and that's all.

Age of self or age of SN

• Hi guys! Maybe someone can help me in my question? My GH4 doesn't use all storage in SD cards. On a screen of camera I see - Card is full, but my PC show, that 10-12 Gb of memory is free. Where is a problem? Thank you!

• @LongJohnSilver I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Speed-UHS-3-Memory-TS128GSDU3/dp/B00J3KA8JG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472670583&sr=8-1&keywords=transcend+128+GB+SD+card It says it's write a guaranteed 30 MB/sec.

I had a problem recently: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/221657#Comment_221657 and did 2 low-level formats using SD FORMATTER from here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ and the problem is now gone.

If I had to buy again I'd look to see if there isn't a faster card these days that'll read & write 90 MB/sec. Class 10 U3.

This one says it'll write upto 60MB/sec (128 GB): https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-UHS-I-128GB-Memory/dp/B013CP3OHU/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1472670521&sr=8-24&keywords=128+GB+SD+card

The problem I had was while spanning at high ISO and high detail with a 360 degree shutter (1/25th sec. exposure) in 4k .mov mode. The camera was being pushed to it's max.

@saksofon try using the SD Formatter app to write over the entire card. That should get rid of any problems you're having. The other issue is that the card might be a fake and may fail someday. I had this with an official "Hama" card I bought years ago in Switzerland at "MediaMarkt" the big German discount electronics store.