Personal View site logo
QuickTime for Windows can be big threat
  • 50 Replies sorted by
  • My Edius NLE relies on QT for decoding various mov files. So it's really a big problem

• Anyway.... From what I read on Grass Valley forum Most relevant security problem should be Quicktime support inside your browser. (Browsing to a website with Quicktime being automatically used for video playback) Disable any Quicktime functionality inside your browser. Don't use Quicktime for playing back MOV Files

• @balazer not matching my experience! I don't mean to rebuke you or dispute your claim, but you should substantiate with point releases for both the codec versions, applications, and OS. I've used it exclusively on Windows [7,8.1,10], both before and after being owned by GoPro , not just in multiple versions [CS6-CC2014] of Premiere/AE but also Resolve [10,11], and other third party apps like "Video Enhancer", as input, output, and/or intermediate codec. I will also mention I've never paid for a license (too expensive at the time, not proud of it but it is what it is) so I haven't had the benefit of support either.

I've had my share of codec issues but not with Cineform. I don't have reasons to distrust your assessment of your own experience, but they are at odds with mine. Why is that I wonder (I'm thinking some setup issue).

• I also don't understand all these stories about Cineform being unreliable or crashing. Perhaps I'm confusing the Cineform codec with some video app that I'm unaware of but the codec itself has not only never given me any issues but it is much, much faster to encode than, say, H264. I am running win7 exclusively and use Cineform files in Premiere Pro, After Effects and Resolve interchangeably. Furthermore, the files are about 40% smaller than equivalent ProRes files.

• I think some Quicktime users worry too much. This vulnerability has been around for a long time with no exploits detected. I have read ALL the source documents and find no reason to panic. This is purely a "personal view", so no need for any flames!

• This vulnerability has been around for a long time with no exploits detected

Yeah, well now the vulnerability has been publicized, so you can bet it will be exploited soon. A remote code execution vulnerability that can be activated just by visiting a web page is very attractive. A lot of companies have policies that require every security vulnerability to be remediated, so this is going to be a real problem for a lot of users. "Cross your fingers and hope" is not good security policy.

As for Cineform, I didn't keep notes on exactly which combinations caused me problems. I'd used it in Sony Vegas Pro 10, Sony Vegas Pro 13, DaVinci Resolve, VirtualDub, Windows XP, Windows 8, and Windows 7 at various times.

• I used Cineform back in 2009 for HDMI live capture from a Canon HDV camera to a small computer I built with Windows 7 and for final output from FCP7 using NeoHD back then. No problems at all, the film played in many festivals. I am currently using Cineform with Premiere Pro CC on a film I shot in China with a Red One, LX100, GH4 and my good old GH2.

The only problem I have converting the GH2 and MP4 files from the LX100 to Cineform is with timecode. If I use my GoPro Studio Premium for transcoding, Premiere reads the Cineform converted clip TC as 29.97, even though it displays info at 23.976. I can interpret the footage and force it to 23.976 and then it's ok. If I use Adobe Media encoder the TC frame rate is accurate, although sometimes +1 offset.

I'm about to check in with Jake Segraves over at Cineform to see if this has happened to anyone else.

• I usually use Sony YUV Codec (8 or 10bit) in Sony Vegas, then export to whatever I want.

• Grass Valley is working on a solution for Edius and around July/August 2016, Edius 8.3 will be released, which will not use Quicktime at all any more.

• @AKED

Does it work good with HEVC videos from Samsung?

• At the moment h265 is not implemented as far as I kniw. I am not sure about Edius 8.3

• Hi have checked it. H265 is in preparation for Edius, but they can not say, when this feature will be released for Edius. But the are working on it.

• H265 is in preparation for Edius, but they can not say, when this feature will be released for Edius. But the are working on it.

Well, bad. As most editors work ok now.

• Well, Adobe Premiere can, Final Cupt Pro can not edit H 265. Does not seem that many support it yet. And this is not nice eiher: http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2015/07/new-patent-pool-wants-share-of-revenue-from-content-owners.html

• Well, Adobe Premiere can, Final Cupt Pro can not edit H 265.

I do not care about Final Cut. Other editors can edit H.265.

Does not seem that many support it yet. And this is not nice eiher:

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2015/07/new-patent-pool-wants-share-of-revenue-from-content-owners.html

We have topic about this.

Btw, this can also play some role in Samsung decisions.

• I don't even think Samsung tablets play back h265 smoothly... Samsung tablets don't even play back 4k at all... Which would actually make more sense because you would want a viewer to see the best quality possible.

Given enough time all NLE will support it, especially when gh5 gets it! ;-) I decided long ago to stop worrying about NLE features, if I did I would change NLE every week! :-D

• Samsung tablets don't even play back 4k at all... Which would actually make more sense because you would want a viewer to see the best quality possible.

No such thing as "Samsung tablets" in general exist. What tablets, what player?

By idea S tablets must play 4K in MX player.

H.256 depends on file, bitrate and resolution. 720p most probably play, 1080p depends.

• 4K Nope. I don't care for MX player hack- for my usage I need system support. Like usual Samsung spend most time on most profitable sector, which is not tablets.

Samsung tablet ie with Samsung logo on front.

There are some galaxy tabs that have a quad core processor - advertised but never assembled. :-/

I actually am very sad that Samsung don't put a powerful processor in their tablets (not smartphones - we are talking about tablets) as some units have lovely AMOLED screen!

This is why for many projects and corporate demonstrations we can only use nexus 9, I did think about putting Samsung screen on nexus 9 processor but that isn't happening! I would rather wait...

• I actually am very sad that Samsung don't put a powerful processor in their tablets (not smartphones - we are talking about tablets) as some units have lovely AMOLED screen

Do not know that you talk about.

S and S2 tablets (ones with AMOLED screens) use quad core/ octa core chips and have good amount of RAM. S 10.5 (this is even old model) - Exynos 5 Octa 1.9GHz quad core + 1.3GHz quad core processor

I think best idea is to make actual tests.

Main issue with Android tablet is not playback even (still Android players suck compared to Windows), main issue is that all systems lack full size USB and file management at proper level.

• I have made test. Doesn't work. I needed system level 4k, so I don't care about MX player. It is for VR playback.

Samsung didn't upgrade processor for S2 playback.

Do not know that you talk about.

Processor inside Samsung tablets is very underpowered. Looks at Nexus9 as comparison - or shield (same cpu). However Samsung smart phones have fantastic CPU.

Main issue with Android tablet is not playback even

Issue for 4K playback is not Android problem, android nexus 9 plays back 4K easily.

I am only replying in this thread due to 4K H265 (or h264) not working on Samsung tablets.

• I needed system level 4k, so I don't care about MX player. It is for VR playback.

What exactly means "system level"? As MX Player is most popular normal Android player, not VR one.

All players rely on some form on hardware acceleration and as I understand CPUs here normally do it only up to 2.5k, hence you need reencoding.

• Sure, VR players don't use MXplayer. Such as VRPlayer pro app. (This isn't an add) but VR player pro is great for 360VR presentation without glasses (holding tablet). Good for corporate presentations - or gallery work, or augmented VR. Not everyone wants to wear VR goggles all the time.

Sorry- my "use" is for VR not mx player! My bad English! (And I only speak English!!)

• OK, got it.

I think best idea in this case is to look for FullHD Intel based Windows tablets, and with full size USB. At least here you perfectly can check that CPU will work perfect.

I think later this year ones with 4K also appear in mass.

• Nexus 9 or shield work very well with 4K now, and are very good price. H265 not a chance. That is probably android problem.

• Just got back from a 5 week break to begin editing Prores footage shot on a Atomos Ninja and had an issue with importing these Prores files into Premiere.

After importing this footage into Premiere CS6 it would not recognise the Prores codec used in these files...after re-installing Quicktime it worked again and these files were recognised and imported fine onto a 1080 timeline.

I am not sure why the codec disappeared during the break as unlike my own computer systems I dont have administrator rights to install and maintain this workstation but it may be that a Windows auto-update may have removed Quicktime from the system.

@balazer @tron - I am also a long time Cineform user having owned Neoscene for many years and I must admit did find it buggy in early incarnations of the codec when importing Cineform .avi's into After Effects but that issue disappeared after several codec updates... I have now ditched Neoscene entirely and I am using the free Go Pro Studio software to encode/decode Cineform files and it has been bulletproof.

I have installed GoPro StudioPC v2.0.1.319 (I cant seem to install later versions as the installer comes up with an error) on a Win7 x64 machine running Adobe CS5 Production Premium...

This has been an excellent solution for me in migrating my workflow to 4K. This version of GoPro Studio gives you the option to batch encode not only 4K files (3840x2160) but also it can down res the native .MP4 4K files from my new Panasonic GX85 camera to 2560x1440 or 1920x1080 resolution cineform .avi's as well and is stable and fast for both editing and encoding....