Personal View site logo
1000$ camera... what is the best choice (mainly for video)?
  • 61 Replies sorted by
  • @brianl ..really?is not the same (or slightly lower)?

• You can also record internal 4K and ext to recorder at the same time

> Even though there is a message that comes up in the menus when you select HDMI/ 4K saying you cannot record 4K internally AND output 4K externally, you actually can. First off don’t select that menu option….again, make sure proxy recording is off, set TC output on for triggering the Shogun, and HDMI mode to AUTO. When you hit record on the camera, the camera’s LCD goes black. Don’t freak…it’s still working, I have tested it. If you go to the mode where it gives you that warning that you cannot record 4K internally and output, then the rear LCD stays on when you hit record but all it is doing is sending a trigger to the recorder to start. Very similar to what the A7s does. It’s weird, but unless they change it for release you can do both – you just need to make sure your recorder is your monitoring device, too or at least feeds your monitoring device.

>

• rx10 mk2 also does Uncompressed 4k HDMI output. With a 1200$ recorder, ext mic, I reckon this would be it. Also, its very hard to get the moving subject in focus with S35 sensor. The S16 size of this camera sensor is optimal for indie film IMO.

• You can just get with RX10 mk2

So, no need for sound sync

img14.jpg
    489 x 474 - 28K
  • If fixed lens is in, the Sony rx10 mk2 is by far the most bang for the buck I've ever gotten in a camera purchase. Incredible camera. Screw a tascam 60d or 70d on to it, and you have a very nice setup.

• I'll throw in for the nx500. Incredible bang for the buck. I prefer it to my NX1, same sensor , but I prefer the image.

• You also forget Sony AX100 sometimes can be found with good discount:-)

Even the Sony X70 with the 4K upgrade is selling new for quite decently low prices, US$2,249: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233177-REG/sony_pxw_x70_professional_xdcam_compact.html

May be we need to put Sony F35 to the list as I remember that some people get it to the sum quite close to $1000. :-)

I wish!!!! :-D $5k is closer to the cheapest you'd ever find it now.

Maybe you meant F3? I got very lucky finding one for $1.2K last year. US$1.5 to US$2K is a more typical cheapest bargain range you'd be good to find it in. (I follow it reasonably closely online the pricing of them, as it naturally interests me)

/Edit: ah yes, see the reply now

• The overheating can be mitigated by replacing batteries with cool batteries every 20-30 minutes, or by using an external power pack.

You certainly made the tests? As sensor is clearly located on sensor board.

A member on the a6300 user group on facebook made the tests. He was able to run four hours just by swapping batteries. He said the batteries get very hot and most likely significantly add to the heat inside the case"

A real world test would be to use a dummy battery with an external power supply/batterpack and see how long it can go before overheating.

This is one big issue, that will keep me away from the A6300

• Of course I meant Sony F3.

• I suggested those cameras, because I think they are the best at that price. Maybe I'm wrong.

• I'd like to see a listing for that f35 at a grand :-)ii

• I've had GH4 and sold it in order to get the A6300. Wrong move. I don't care about rolling shutter that much, but lack of reliability for basic use is way too much... I've cancelled my pre-order and I'm now getting the NX1. Time will tell if this move is not wrong as well.

• May be we need to put Sony F35 to the list as I remember that some people get it to the sum quite close to $1000. :-)

• @Vitaliy....actually the topic is what camera is best for video for 1000 bucks, with the post offering 3 suggestions . I don't think he was limiting the responses to just those 3 cameras, otherwise he wouldn't have put the $1000 in the title. I could be wrong but ....

• Sony helped the A7Rii overheating with firmware by moving the shutdown temperature higher, didnt they?

In this case it can be just set too low. I highly doubt that they made any similar thing with a6300, especially as all sources told that heat issues was major thing in design.

Sony heat issues are not random or oversee, they just design sensor board, main board and case such a way that it will shut down. And do it again and again, and yes, it saves them around $4-5 in camera cost.

He was able to run four hours just by swapping batteries. He said the batteries get very hot and most likely significantly add to the heat inside the case.

May be, but something tells me that he just powered camera down and changed battery. Changing battery certainly do not change sensor temp much, but it can prolong time to future shutoff.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

If Sony introduces some firmware update to help the overheating and rolling shutter

Both are impossible to fix with firmware.

Sony helped the A7Rii overheating with firmware by moving the shutdown temperature higher, didnt they?

The overheating can be mitigated by replacing batteries with cool batteries every 20-30 minutes, or by using an external power pack.

You certainly made the tests? As sensor is clearly located on sensor board.

A member on the a6300 user group on facebook made the tests. He was able to run four hours just by swapping batteries. He said the batteries get very hot and most likely significantly add to the heat inside the case.

• Note - it is not topic about BM and rumors :-)

• @ Kurth you are very optimistic positive thinking that's whats up.. 2.7k would be more than awesome but I doubt it that would mean they would crush their BMCC 2.5k cameras. But you never know Blackmagic is known for crushing their own cameras.. will see

• and the micro ...if they'd just release a small evf attachment

and surely they'll change the battery on the pcc as well . I think we'll see something more aggressive though, but not sure about the nab part ...maybe 2.7k...or I'm just dreamin' !

• Lol.. 2017 but I think they will just add the 60fps capability. If they do.. that camera will sale big time, that's the only reason why I sold my pocket because it didn't have 60fps.

• @TrackZillas .....yeah definitely ! There's a rumor that they'll introduce a new pcc at nab this year. Of course...that means it'll become available in 2017 !

• The GH4 is solid.. but for me I think the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera would be my first choice than the Sony a6300.. images are looking amazing from this little camera. Saw a couple side by side test with the a7sII images @ 4k were indistinguishable, basically they looked the same. It was a look factor which attracted me to the a6300 and the Dynamic Range, having that super flat image to work with. I know it's 8 bit but for those flat looks this camera will shine.

• @Vitaliy well first the gh4 is $1300, and the nx1 is discontinued, and the a6300 isn't released...but besides those salient points, I think the gh4 is obviously the most refined of the 3 products listed. But it all depends on it's use.

• @kurth

As post had 3 candidates.

You also forget Sony AX100 sometimes can be found with good discount:-)

• why hasn't anyone suggested fixed lens cameras....under a grand ...the rx100iv, the fz1000, the fz300, or the new nikons...or a little higher the rx10ii. Otherwise I think the g7 w/14-140

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters