Personal View site logo
1000$ camera... what is the best choice (mainly for video)?
  • Panasonic GH4 (v-log) Samsung NX1 (upcoming hack) Sony a6300 (S-log3)

your opinion?

• 61 Replies sorted by
  • Samsung without doubts. If you talk as being only camera you have and good affordable lenses.

Just note that it is phased out fast now.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev therefore, unlikely there will be a NX2?

• therefore, unlikely there will be a NX2?

No one knows.

Samsung is like young girl - "No! I mean... No! ... or... I mean Yes! Yes! Yes!"

• There's a hack coming for the nx1?

• There's a hack coming for the nx1?

Some guys do some attempts, for now it is just some commands and scripts, not binary hacks.

@lumixmaxgh3

I changed link, mine have collection of info I obtained for some time and also link guys you referenced in your post.

• I would hesitate to invest further in native mount lenses for the NX system, but if you have a Nikon F mount lens collection then the Samsung NX1 is a fantastic choice!

Otherwise if you want to be going native, this is how I see Sony vs Panasonic:

Yeah Sony has better specs sometimes than Panasonic, but Panasonic cameras are priced cheaper and better polished (such as no overheating issues, better laid out menus, etc).

And both Sony and Panasonic are clear ahead of the competition. (except Samsung, who have something exceptional with the NX1, but it sadly got mostly ignored)

The competition being: Nikon / Canon / Pentax / FujiFilm / etc

• I would hesitate to invest further in native mount lenses for the NX system,

What is wrong with it?

No need to buy many, but most Samsung lenses are superior and cheaper than Sony.

If you look at camera as work tool it does not matter that Samsung is doing.

Cameras progress is slowing down very fast.

Very soon we will be like Intel processors, with 3-4% improvements a year and change each 8 years due to some broken things.

• If Sony introduces some firmware update to help the overheating and rolling shutter, Id say the a6300. The overheating can be mitigated by replacing batteries with cool batteries every 20-30 minutes, or by using an external power pack. Kind of silly, but it is what it is.

• If Sony introduces some firmware update to help the overheating and rolling shutter

Both are impossible to fix with firmware.

The overheating can be mitigated by replacing batteries with cool batteries every 20-30 minutes, or by using an external power pack.

You certainly made the tests? As sensor is clearly located on sensor board.

• why hasn't anyone suggested fixed lens cameras....under a grand ...the rx100iv, the fz1000, the fz300, or the new nikons...or a little higher the rx10ii. Otherwise I think the g7 w/14-140

• @kurth

As post had 3 candidates.

You also forget Sony AX100 sometimes can be found with good discount:-)

• @Vitaliy well first the gh4 is $1300, and the nx1 is discontinued, and the a6300 isn't released...but besides those salient points, I think the gh4 is obviously the most refined of the 3 products listed. But it all depends on it's use.

• The GH4 is solid.. but for me I think the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera would be my first choice than the Sony a6300.. images are looking amazing from this little camera. Saw a couple side by side test with the a7sII images @ 4k were indistinguishable, basically they looked the same. It was a look factor which attracted me to the a6300 and the Dynamic Range, having that super flat image to work with. I know it's 8 bit but for those flat looks this camera will shine.

• @TrackZillas .....yeah definitely ! There's a rumor that they'll introduce a new pcc at nab this year. Of course...that means it'll become available in 2017 !

• Lol.. 2017 but I think they will just add the 60fps capability. If they do.. that camera will sale big time, that's the only reason why I sold my pocket because it didn't have 60fps.

• and the micro ...if they'd just release a small evf attachment

and surely they'll change the battery on the pcc as well . I think we'll see something more aggressive though, but not sure about the nab part ...maybe 2.7k...or I'm just dreamin' !

• @ Kurth you are very optimistic positive thinking that's whats up.. 2.7k would be more than awesome but I doubt it that would mean they would crush their BMCC 2.5k cameras. But you never know Blackmagic is known for crushing their own cameras.. will see

• Note - it is not topic about BM and rumors :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

If Sony introduces some firmware update to help the overheating and rolling shutter

Both are impossible to fix with firmware.

Sony helped the A7Rii overheating with firmware by moving the shutdown temperature higher, didnt they?

The overheating can be mitigated by replacing batteries with cool batteries every 20-30 minutes, or by using an external power pack.

You certainly made the tests? As sensor is clearly located on sensor board.

A member on the a6300 user group on facebook made the tests. He was able to run four hours just by swapping batteries. He said the batteries get very hot and most likely significantly add to the heat inside the case.

• Sony helped the A7Rii overheating with firmware by moving the shutdown temperature higher, didnt they?

In this case it can be just set too low. I highly doubt that they made any similar thing with a6300, especially as all sources told that heat issues was major thing in design.

Sony heat issues are not random or oversee, they just design sensor board, main board and case such a way that it will shut down. And do it again and again, and yes, it saves them around $4-5 in camera cost.

He was able to run four hours just by swapping batteries. He said the batteries get very hot and most likely significantly add to the heat inside the case.

May be, but something tells me that he just powered camera down and changed battery. Changing battery certainly do not change sensor temp much, but it can prolong time to future shutoff.

• @Vitaliy....actually the topic is what camera is best for video for 1000 bucks, with the post offering 3 suggestions . I don't think he was limiting the responses to just those 3 cameras, otherwise he wouldn't have put the $1000 in the title. I could be wrong but ....

• May be we need to put Sony F35 to the list as I remember that some people get it to the sum quite close to $1000. :-)

• I've had GH4 and sold it in order to get the A6300. Wrong move. I don't care about rolling shutter that much, but lack of reliability for basic use is way too much... I've cancelled my pre-order and I'm now getting the NX1. Time will tell if this move is not wrong as well.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters