Personal View site logo
XAVC-S vs MP4 Recording Formats
  • Hi everyone, i am in the market for a new 4k Video Camcorder, after dumping my FZ1000 last year as it just didn't suit my Run-n-Gun shooting style when mounted on my hand rig and my Flycam HD3000 stabilizer.

I have kind of short listed between the new Sony AX53 (1/2.5" sensor) and the AX100 (1" sensor) as it seems both Cams offer me everything i need for the type of shooting style.

That aside, both record 4k/25p and 1080/50p in the XAVC-S format @ 100Mbps, and my previous FZ1000 Bridge Camera recorded in MP4 @ 100Mbps, but back when i got the FZ1000 i had not really heard a lot about XAVC-S as i rushed into getting the FZ1000 because it was cheap.

so my question is, i have read some stuff about XAVC-S being a more efficient format than MP4, others just say that is not true, and i just can't seem to find anything definitive about how they both work, and if one is actually better than the other, for both 4k and 1080 modes.

My friend has a Panasonic VX870, and it shoot 4k/25p MP4 @ 72Mbps (it only averages 62 to 65 max so far) and the 4k seems to look ok, but i have seen some samples from an AX55 (ak AX53) and it just seems to look nicer for some reason XAVC-S at a higher bitrate maybe, better glass, better sensor, not sure)

If anyone can shed some light on XAVC-S vs MP4 i would appreciate some advice, or links to some useful information.

Cheers

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • XAVC-S is just marketing name, it is H.264 :-)

Both XAVC-S and MP4 are not formats and all. XAVC-S is marketing name and MP4 is container.

Only good thing about Sony AX53 is stabilization, all else is much worse.

Just wait for NAB for a month, can be AX200 coming.

Otherwise get AX100.

• So the AX100 is such a great Cam, i just wish it shot 4k @ 50fps, because up till now with my 2x SDT750 Cams they shoot 1080/50p, and one of the (many) reasons why i got rid of the FZ1000 was because the 4k @ 25p just killed me when roaming around with my hand rig or Flycam HD3000 stabilizer.

Otherwise there is the AX1 or the HC-X1000 but both are a nearly double what i want to pay, and they are bigger than i want for my purposes.

Cant have everything i guess :(

• This or early next year it must be first affordable cameras with 4k 60fps, so wait in this case.

Note that Sony is very strange company, they can add 60fps, but dumble down camera to hell, or do something like it. They are all after margins now.

• Yes, probably locking out 50p/60p, just need a firmware upgrade to make it happen, but will it not affect the sensor, or maybe have heat issues.

• probably locking out 50p/60p, just need a firmware upgrade to make it happen

Do not know that you mean here.

• I mean could the AX100 be capable of 4k 50p/60p with the 1" sensor, and all Sony have to do is make a firmware that will enable it to shoot 4k in those frame rates.

Sony made a firmware to upgrade the AX100 to record 100Mbps because it was only 60Mbps before.

• I mean could the AX100 be capable of 4k 50p/60p with the 1" sensor, and all Sony have to do is make a firmware that will enable it to shoot 4k in those frame rates.

No one is locking anything, it is limited by sensor speed and LSI, period.