Personal View site logo
Aputure VS 2 and VS 2 fine monitors
  • I can't get this to work. The Aputure VS 2 has the latest firmware - V 1.2 - but the Aputure says "No signal" when the two devices are connected/turned on. I have tried different settings in the GH4 with no luck. Any tricks to make this work?

• 31 Replies sorted by
  • Try different cable t least.

• Turn gh4 on and off with the vs2 on and cabled.

Check your Hdmi output settings on the camera.

• @ Vitaliy: Cable checked, is working okay, - connected camera to TV with no issues.

@bannedindv: Have already tried the turn on/off, - no luck. Also different HDMI output settings with no luck.

My recording settings are these: Rec format: MOV, 4K 100M 24p

• I have played around with different setting, but still no luck. I have now sent a mail to Aputure support and ope they have a solution. Otherwise I will have to return the monitor and find another.

• Cable checked, is working okay, - connected camera to TV with no issues.

You do not hear me.

Get another cable or, better, two. And check with them.

fact that cable work with TV does not mean ANYTHING!.

• I think Vitality is correct. I've had a lot of issues with HDMI cables.

• @Vitaliy: You are quite right, - I don't hear you, as I´m no mindreader :-). As I´m no technical wizard I would appreciate if you would elaborate what issues HDMI cables suffers from?

• @bluefonia:

You can have: Contact problems (at the plugs), bad isolation inbetween the pins / cables, broken connections aka cables (also kind of a contact problem) - But also wrong characteristic impedance and / or wave resistance is a possibility (the last two points mean, that the cable is not produced within the HDMI spec)!

For example: I get "snowy" images with one special HDMI cable (maybe slightly wrong cable characteristics) - Another one is not even working in special setups (both are china cables which were included for free or which I bought for a few bucks). So you see - Everything is possible ^^. All my other cables are btw. working as they should. But they are also of a higher quality (and way more flexible - Which is quite important most of the time). Sounds weird first - I know (as it´s only a 1:1 digital connection) - But just get another cable and it will be working for sure. I even used a VS-2 already together with a GH4 without any problems. ^^

LG

• I can guarantee you that it's not the cable. I've had multiple issues with the GH4 and monitors. Some work, and some don't. Most of the problems are with C4K in 24Hz.

• @aaronchicago: Checked my pictures of the test. It was exactly the C4K 24P mode with downscaled 1080 output on the HDMI - And it worked flawlessly ^^. The problem is only the real 24P output and the 23.976, 25, 29.97 and 30P native output of the newer cameras. Many screens are not compatible to that modes (only to interlaced and maybe 50P / 60P progressive signals - The older Lilliput screens for example).

• Thanks for your input.

@Tscheckoff

Before buying the VS2 I contacted Aputure support (they respond very fast). Here is what they said:

qoute: Thanks for your email.

Yes, the VS-2 monitor will work with GH4 in 4 K mode. The VS series is suport the hightest 1920*1080 input. If you want the 4K camera work on the monitor, please select the GH4: Motion Piture->HDMI Rec Output->4K Down Convert into Auto or 1080P. Anything we can do for you, please kindly contact us.

Thanks for your email. About this item, it will work for frame rates: 23.98fps, 24fps, 25fps, 29.97fps and 30fps .

end quote

I forgot to ask them about progressive vs interlaced, but I read somewhere else that both would work in the frame rates mentioned above.

I have ordered a second HDMI cable. If this does not solve the problem I will return the VS2. I don't doubt HDMI cables can be faulty for different reasons, but the possibility of running through 5 - or more - different ones before i MIGHT get the VS"/GH4 combo to work simply does not cut it for me.

@aaronchicago:

Which monitor(s) have worked well for you with the GH4?

• @bluefonia:

Yep. You need the downconverted 1080P output. The standard selection is "AUTO" according the HDMI Rec output (as far as I remember) - But better choose 1080P as fixed output format. Otherwise there´s maybe a problem recognizing a few screens right (and the GH4 isn´t switching to the right format in AUTO mode). You can also use interlaced signals with the VS-2. BUT: I don´t recommend it in general - The scaler isn´t working well with interlaced signals (it´s adding alot of aliasing patterns and thereby also partly moiré patterns). But with progressive signals everything is ok ^^.

Btw.: I hope you ordered a completely different cable (not the exactly same one or another type from the same manufacturer). Because if it´s not working with certain setups, there´s a high risk that also the other cable / other type of the same manufacturer will not be compatible ^^. Well - If it´s not working, just try another one (or send the VS-2 back). If you send the VS-2 back, then maybe check out the MustHD M601H or M701H screens (not cheap - But good colours and features - Though also not compatible to interlaced signals). Or you can also check out the Lilliput 663/O/P2 (not the older P1 model - The new one got a few bugfixes!). Though: The 663 is quite bulky and heavy. And I like the MustHD remote feature (as you can control the screen features over the three buttons on the remote). Also nice: You can mount the remote your tripod handle, on the grip of a shoulder rig or everywhere else - And it´s even extendable through a standard 3.5mm audio cable ^^). Btw.: Tested already the M501H on the GH4 (same C4K 24P with 1080P down-convertion-mode like with the VS-2). Worked nice and flawlessly.

LG

• quote @Tscheckoff: Btw.: I hope you ordered a completely different cable (not the exactly same one or another type from the same manufacturer). Because if it´s not working with certain setups, there´s a high risk that also the other cable / other type of the same manufacturer will not be compatible ^^ quote end

Yes, I have ordered from a different manufacturer :-)

• Problem solved. Got a new cable to day and now the Aputure/GH4 combo works. Very easy setup, - connected the two, switched both on and bingo. Thanks to everyone for your comments and inputs.

• It's almost always the cable. Canon cables for some reason are pretty good, if you can find one for cheap on eBay. Always try a few new cables before trying anything else.

• Can i add a usb battery via micro usb cable to power the vs-2?

• @Alexauwa: Can i add a usb battery via micro usb cable to power the vs-2?

No, but you can connect a DC 12V poweradapter

• I can just conform. Its that cable. Had to try three different to get it work.

• Has the VS-2 Fine been released? I can ever find a place that's actually selling it.

• I can see VS-2 FineHD already available in China, several store sell them on taobao rate as 1,699 CNY

• @AndCycle

Well, after NY must be available more wide.

May be we will get one for review, we will see.