Personal View site logo
Proponents of expensive brand cables
  • Right now, if you aren’t very careful, a USB-C cable can destroy your laptop. If you just go to Amazon and buy any pack of USB-C cables you find, you could end up with a wire that can destroy your machine in a flash.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/4/10916264/usb-c-russian-roulette-power-cords

Article also contains extremely strange explanation of issues, while cheap bad (not ALL cheap!) cables real difference is the usage of thinner than required wires.

Google and Apple are pissed off with USB-C cables, as Chinese had been too fast cutting their usual 500-700% margins.
    Of course, lots of extra cheap cables exist and I never advice to use them especially for devices consuming full power that USB-C can deliver. But also remember that many good cables are made by off brand makers.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • German computer magazine ct' did some USB 3(.1) cable testing a few months ago, and their verdict, too, was: Some USB cables don't meet specs, not depending on their price. And unluckuly, even some cables coming packaged with external enclosures failed the tests, again regardless of brands.

So you can only buy, try, and return when failing :-(

• I bought a USB cable for my phone that was wired wrong and overheated the phone. There's a lot of crappy cables out there.

• You can get anything now, but wrong wired cables are quite rare. And I do not know how this can overheat the phone.

• This article sheds some light of the "damage via badly manufactured USB 3 cable" issue.

• It is all reprints, source of this all is Google text.

Leung found that cords that were Type-C to Type-A were failing to regulate their power draw appropriately.

Type-A was never designed to handle the 3 amps (“3A”) of power a USB-C device needs to juice up. Nor was it designed to really regulate power draw like Type-C. The only way the two inputs can communicate effectively and safely is if they are constructed in a very specific manner, and unfortunately this can only be determined via vigorous testing or dissection of the cable.

And this is bullshit, as it such thing can happen only due to hardware wrong design (not on cable part).

On USB specification it is prohibited to draw power above minimum before special procedure (that communicates to attached device) that ensures that all is ok.

Yet, manufacturer frequently ignore this (like having 2A ports working in inactive notebook state).

All this statement about problems with USB-C to USB-A cables can arise only due to protocol or design error. Not from cables issue.

So in this case we can have mixed thing. One part can be to scare people from cheap cables as leading Google partners are furious that income drops (they are really mad!). And another thing can be to try to put thought into people mind so they won't sue Google or another manufacturer for horrible ports design without protection and not keeping specs, but will blame poor cable.

• @Vitaliy I took apart the cable and saw it was not wired correctly (I bought two, and both were the same, wired wrong), but I just threw them away, I didn't stop to wonder how they overheated the phone. But the phone connector was hot enough to burn your finger. Surprisingly, no permanent damage. OTOH, I have many times bought cables that were perfectly fine.

• I didn't stop to wonder how they overheated the phone. But the phone connector was hot enough to burn your finger.

Issue can be bad connectors and very thin wires (this is that Chinese like to do, saves copper).

Wrongly wires cable is some rare thing (all big cable manufacturers have automated testing), may be someone sold faulty batch he got for utilization.

• Apple has announced a worldwide replacement program for the USB-C cable that it shipped between April and June 8th of last year.

Big irony. :-)

• New offender has been added to Amazon's prohibited products list for third-party sellers: USB-C cables and adapters that are "not compliant with standard specifications issued by USB Implementers Forum."

This means Chinese cables :-) Good time to learn about places other than Amazon.

• And now you can finally see why all this shit had been published:

USB Type-C Authentication specification, announced today at the Intel Developer Forum in Shenzhen, China. When you connect a power adapter, cable, or accessory that supports the specification into a host device (like a phone or laptop) that supports the specification, the host device can verify the accessories' capabilities and whether the accessory has been fully certified by the USB-IF. This information is transmitted to the host using 128-bit encryption before an actual data or power connection is established, and the specification is designed to work even if your charger and cable are only providing power and not a data connection.

In other words. Bit corporations want to implement very string protocol to completely block usage of cheap chargers and cables. No, not to save you. They just all want money, and big amount of them.

img132.jpg
    643 x 414 - 50K