Personal View site logo
Panasonics collapsible X lenses (14-42mm pancake and 45-175mm tele)
  • 117 Replies sorted by
  • But what about flares?
  • It'd be more for the cool factor of it.
  • Interesting, and thanks for posting. The technique of the tester seems to be a bit all over the show. Some images a blatantly out of focus or there's movement that's effecting the entire image.

CA looks quite significant on Oly bodies though. I'm assuming the in lens CA correction isn't being applied.

14-42 pancake looks OK. Nothing ground breaking in terms of technical quality, but pleasing and very useful non the less. Its physical attributes more than do enough to sell this lens though.
  • +1. Compact pancake design and OK performance.
  • I ordered GF3X from Panasonic Direct at $629.99. Backordered. Gonna sell the body and 14-45mm.

14, 20, 14-42X pancakes baby!!! Hmmm I need a 37-52 step up ring.
  • GH2 definitely needs the 1.1 firmware to be able to use the X lens correctly. AFC wasn't really functioning well.

GF3 with the latest firmware had no issue.
  • @stonebat
    Any steppy aperture while zooming in and out?
  • @Mimirsam
    "Any steppy aperture while zooming in and out?"
    Did initial tests today. Zooming where aparture changed from 3.5 to 5.6. i cound not see any major stepping as I earlier have seen with my 14-140. Looking close one can see some but very minor. In the viewfinder the aparture changes in steps of 0.1 after 4.0, before that in .2 steps. I compared it with my 14-140 with new firmware. it is stepping in steps of .2 to .3 so there is a diference.
  • Hmmm... a bunch of complaints about 14-42X and 45-175X. How did I miss that?

I don't wanna get freaked out like a headless chicken. Calm down and think think think.

I will have no problem in selling my 14-45 at "premium" price in ebay.

Some say there's 20% chance of getting a good copy of 14-42X. Where did the number come from? No idea. I will test my 14-42X thoroughly tonight on GF3. If it is a good copy, hey I will sell the lens at "extra premium" price in ebay. $500? $600? Haha. If it's a bad copy,I will call Panasonic Direct to get a full refund. Easy. Who knows? They might say, "Keep the lens for free." :)
  • 14-42X vs 14-45. OIS off & On Tripod on GH2. Manual focus.

At 14mm, 14-45 showed CA all over where the X showed almost none. The X is a tad bit sharper... but its barely noticeable. I would say they have about same sharpness.

At the max focal length respectively, 14-42X has noticeably sharper corner.

The X wins hands down. At least my copy does. Considering that 14-45 is regarded as one of the best kit zooms, the X lens deserves premium tag. It controlled flare and ghost well and it has better build quality than the 20mm pancake. Anyone wants my copy for $600? :)
    Screen shot 2011-11-09 at 9.25.50 PM.png
    1624 x 837 - 299K
    Screen shot 2011-11-09 at 9.17.36 PM.png
    1623 x 844 - 707K
  • I followed this tip and tried out with 14-42mm X.

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

On this page you can set some parameters, Set document units to = CM, set PDF Document Size to = A4, set the Hexagon Colour to = black, then DL the PDF and print it, you can now shoot it at 20ft at various SP @ 175mm with OIS on mode 1, check your images at 100%.

No problem in Power OIS at 14mm and 42mm ends at 1/60 and 1/160 shutter speeds. In fact the Power OIS worked excellent at 1/60.

The X lens doesn't have stepless aperture. Neither the 14-140. If there is any issue, I'm sure that future firmware will mitigate the issue as the 14mm pancake's new firmware smoothed out aperture movement. If I need to do zoom in and out, I'd set the aperture at 5.6 or higher... and jack up the ISO :)

Its 14-25 range has 20cm minimum focus distance like the 20mm pancake. Very nice.

Panasonic Direct is selling GF3 + 14-42X kit at $599 + tax. Get 3% cashback from sites like mrrebates.com. Sell the body only. Sell 14-45. Pay ebay fees. The upgrade cost would be less than $100. It is a no-brainer upgrade for me. One caveat. Panasonic Direct would charge 25% restocking fee if one wanna return it without getting OK sign from their Techincal Troubleshooting team. They ain't B&H or Adorama.
  • The Lumix 14-140 lens has a stepless aperture control.

Edit: oops, probably not.
  • No m43 lens has stepless aperture. 14-140 has smaller steps than other lenses.

Frankly I'll be glad if you prove me otherwise :)
  • The 14-140--and other Panasonic HD lenses--only have smooth aperture when recording video in auto or shutter priority, otherwise it changes the aperture in hard 1/3rd stop increments. It's not stepless, the steps are still 1/3rd of a stop. It just takes a little longer to make the step.
  • I don't see stepless aperture with the 14-140 in shutter priority mode. Shooting 24P it seems to change in 1/3 stop increments that take place over three frames. Very noticeable.
  • @stonebat and @AdamT, after some experimentation, I believe you are correct that the Lumix 14-140 lens does not have a stepless aperture. The Panasonic literature describes this lens as having continuous auto exposure, which I believe people have interpreted to mean a stepless aperture. But I now believe that the continuous auto exposure function is a product of very small steps in shutter speed and very careful synchronization of shutter speed and aperture changes.

I will try to give an example: assume that the GH1 and GH2 cameras are able to change shutter speeds in 1/9 stop increments, but the lenses change aperture area in only 1/3 stop increments. Now say the camera decides to increase the exposure by 1/9 EV: it can increase the aperture by 1/3 stop and simultaneously decrease the shutter period by 2/9 stop. If these changes are timed carefully, the net change will be 1/9 EV, which is barely noticeable to the human eye. But if the two changes don't happen simultaneously or at the same speed, you'll see a jump in exposure, up and then back down, or down and then back up. This is exactly what I see with the 14-42 (non-X) lens when using auto shutter and aperture. Using the 14-140 lens, using auto shutter and aperture, I can hear when the aperture is changing, and based on the frequency of the changes I believe they are 1/3 stop increments, but there is no noticeable jump in exposure. Incidentally, the Lumix 20-mm lens seems to perform somewhat better than the 14-42 (non-X) lens in this regard, having less noticeable jumps in exposure when the aperture is changed using auto shutter and auto aperture.

On a related note, it appears that the GH2 is capable of sub-1/3 stop ISO steps when auto ISO is enabled. So my conclusion is that if you want smooth changes in exposure (and you don't have a lens with a stepless mechanical aperture ring), you should use auto shutter and/or auto ISO.

But since I'm a video guy, I always want to control the shutter speed manually. So what I can do if I want smooth or automatic exposure adjustment is use shutter priority mode with auto ISO. Set this way, the camera seems to favor the largest aperture setting and lowest ISO setting. It uses a higher ISO setting with the largest aperture in low light, and the lowest ISO setting with a smaller aperture in bright light. Indoor lighting puts the camera in the ISO-adjustment range. Outdoors, you could use a neutral density filter to force the camera into the ISO-adjustment range.
  • @balazer yes something like that :)

This topic had been discussed before. Barry Green confirmed that 14-140 G is not stepless. I can't recall exact details, but your theory sounds familiar.

I tested it out in fluorescent lighting. I didn't see flickering. SS can be locked at 60 while aperture and ISO can change 1/3 steps respectively. 1/3 * 1/3 = 1/9.

The 14-42 PZ (formal naming for this X lens) seems exhibiting the same feature as 14-140. So did the 14mm G (pancake) and the 14-42 G after applying the latest lens firmwares!!! They deserve to have "HD" mark. But Panasonic didn't update 14-45 G's firmware. Really pissed me off. That's another reason I upgraded to 14-42 PZ. I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue 14-45 G. You know... Panasonic really want GF1 & 14-45 G owners upgrade to GX1 & 14-42 PZ.
  • @stonebat, I'm not sure what you were trying to say with 1/3 * 1/3 = 1/9. Mathematically, of course it is true. :) But if your aperture size has 1/3 stop increments and your shutter speed has 1/3 stop increments, that doesn't give you 1/9 stop granularity in exposure adjustment. It's still just 1/3 stop granularity in exposure adjustment.

I have the Lumix G 14-42 lens, and it doesn't exhibit the same smooth exposure adjustment that the 14-140 does, even with the 1.1 firmware. I believe the "HD video support" mark is now for lenses that have fast focusing during video recording and quiet operation, and that "continuous auto exposure" is not a component of being HD. http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/9/13/panasonicfw

Panasonic's web site is now showing the 14-45 G lens as being HD, though its last firmware update was in 2009. It seems like they have relaxed the standard for HD, because I'm pretty sure that when I was checking these a year ago, the 14-140 was the only HD lens. What are you thinking the other lenses gained in the latest round of firmware updates that the 14-45 G didn't?
  • Never mind about the algebra. Hehe.

I don't have 14-42G. There was a video demo showing smooth exposure adjustment from 14-42G with firmware 1.1. But I just can't find the link.

In terms of image quality, I compared 14-42G vs 14-45G when I had them both. 14-45G had sharper corners. Surprisingly 14-42PZ has the sharpest corners. Better sell 14-45G fast on ebay. The list of used ones on ebay is getting longer.

Good news!

Panasonic has announced upcoming firmware updates for its Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 Power O.I.S. pancake and Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 Power O.I.S. Micro Four Thirds lenses. The latest firmware versions for both lenses enhance Touch Zoom operation with the recently released Lumix DMC-GX1, and improve AF performance while recording stills and videos. The update for the 45-175mm lens also improves its image stabilization function. Both will be available for download from Panasonic's website from 06:00 GMT on November 17th.

One dilemma. The PZ is a killer for the other pancakes.

I used to take 20G pancake instead of 14-45G. The zoom has decent AFC and lighting fast and quiet AF, but the pancake is so easy to carry around all day. Now I have the PZ lens. It was in my "man bag" over last weekend where 20G stayed home. It's time to say good bye to my beloved 20G. I'm getting 25mm 1.4 Leica DG soon. http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/gx1.html 25DG not video optimized lens, but I would like a set of 14G and 25DG. The 14G pancake... I don't really need it as the PZ is sharper and has Power OIS. It is one step faster, but I'm willing to trade it with 12mm 1.6 HyperPrime. The PZ is going to be my only pancake.
  • Can anyone confirm what features of the Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 Power O.I.S. lens won't work on the GH1? It looks from Panasonic's website that the Light Speed AF might be missing and possibly the POWER O.I.S.

Panasonic state ...... The power zoom lenses can be used with DMC-GH2, DMC-G3, DMC-GF3 or DMC-GF2 if the firmware is not updated. However, Panasonic recommends all users to update it.

Anything else?? Thanks.
  • Slower AF. Power OIS worked fine. No focal distance displayed on power zooming.
  • How much slower AF, same as the 14 - 140kit? Better than the 20mm pancake?? Thanks
  • I don't have 14-140G. Faster than 20G. About same as 14-45G. Hopefully new firmware improves it.
  • Ok thanks again, i have both 14 - 140 and 45 - 200 so the speed with a GH1 is probably the same as the 45-200. That is fast enough for my requirements (20mm pancake was not) and the Power OIS will be a bonus.

There are some misinformed posts on the net about x lenses not working at all with any of the "1"Cams (GH1/GF1/ etc.) so i just wanted to make sure. Gunna grab one in Hong Kong this weekend.

R