Personal View site logo
Panasonic Post Focus firmwares coming to G7, GX8, FZ300 and GH4
  • Panasonic LUMIX is proud to introduce a new photographic function called 'Post Focus' that allows anyone to capture multiple photos with multiple in focus points through a single release of the shutter.

Post Focus leverages Panasonic's high-speed, high-precision, 49-area DFD (Depth From Defocus) auto focus technology, and leadership in 4K Photography and Video, to capture 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels) images at 30 fps.

The operation of Post Focus function is quite simple and easy – set the camera to Post Focus mode, and press the shutter button. The camera automatically "racks" the focus while capturing photos with varied in focus points. During playback, use the touch screen to select the in focus area desired, and save as a separate 8 megapixel photo file…all right in the camera.

To assist in getting the perfect image, take advantage of Focus Peaking, 5x magnified view and fine adjustment functions, taking as much time as needed after shooting. The process can be repeated to get multiple images as many times as desired from the original photo.

The Post Focus function is best for non-moving subjects, such as portraits or landscapes, and is ideal for shooting at wide apertures to create dramatic, shallow depth of field effects. Create different impressions out of a single shot by changing the highlighted subject after capturing the picture, taking the risk and anxiety out of getting that perfect picture.

This capability will also assist advanced users interested in macro photography. Simply capture the scene using the same process, then use third party software to perform "focus stacking", to combine multiple frames into a single image, which has more areas in tack-sharp focus for amazing results in a fraction of the time typically needed for great macro images.

The Post Focus function will be available on the DMC-GX8, DMC-G7 and DMC-FZ300 by updating to the latest FREE firmware upgrade, which will be available at GMT 1:00 a.m. on November 25, 2015 at LUMIX Global Customer Support Site.

The firmware that enables the DMC-GH4 to comply with Post Focus is scheduled to be released in early 2016.

• 32 Replies sorted by
  • This might actually be useful for rapidly-changing shots.

• Almost like the Lytro. Looking forward to it in the GH4

• @AKED

Almost like cheap smartphone apps :-) Lytro in in different league.

• Not important how you call it. Only the result counts. And that and the process looks promising for me.

• Not important how you call it. Only the result counts.

It is important, as Lytro works with any shot and this works only with completely still things, like landscapes.

• Ok with me

• Panasonic, bring this feature to video mode! Let user be able to program several focus points and the focus adjustment speed that can be selected during video recording.

• Panasonic Lumix GX8 Post Focus new firmware - quickie tour made on an iphone. Pardon the 60Hz flicker!!!

• Vitaliy... Will unlimited time recording on the G7 cameras purchased on this site be lost when upgrading to this firmware?

• Certainly a fun feature, but I would be much more impressed had they included enfuse-like merging of differently focused images as well.

And much more than this "focus bracketing" I would applaud if Panasonic managed to use depth-from-defocus computations to keep videos focused while recording.

• I'm using prefocus--it's been pretty reliable. But I can see that this would come in handy.

• Panasonic is making very complex new innovations for their cameras and that is nice but they still cant see the current issues with their firmwares. It should be very easy to correct some details which makes everyday shooting annoying.

-not showing exposure values during video

-no autoiso limit for video

-no autoiso in M for video

-no minimum shutter speed

-no ability to save many important menu items to FN-buttons

-no proper exposure or focus lock

-If focus lever is in AFC and video focus (menu) in AFS focus hunts when starting video.

I would very much prefer if they correct these than having "4k photo" or "post focus".

• Panasonic's new Post Focus function, which was officially announced on 20 November, is designed to allow photographers to select a point of focus after a shot is taken and provide the ability to select different points of focus within the same image. While this might appear to represent new technology, it's actually an innovative approach to focus stacking, achieved by integrating two existing functions in the company's latest cameras.

http://photoreview.com.au/stories/general/how-the-panasonic-post-focus-function-works

• Still no reports on G7 upgrades with regards to keeping the unlimited time recording?

• @Ezzelin,I did upgrade and no problems with the length of the recording in Modo AVCHD.I'm in the zone PAL-25p ;)

• ... for G7.

• Still no reports on G7 upgrades with regards to keeping the unlimited time recording?

Upgrade won't affect anything, tested.