Personal View site logo
Panasonic G7 topic, 4K castrate monster or GH4 for poor
  • 719 Replies sorted by
  • Hi, is it possible to switch the G7 UK NTSC Modell to PAL? Cheers...

• Well, I caved and made the plunge, lol.

• is there a difference between the g7 k and the g70? Is g70 the international or PAL version?

• G70 is the german version afaik, no other difference than name (as with e.g. 550D and T2i at Canon)

• Just as with my GH2, when I hit record the image gets darker - also the Histogram changes, just like the GH2 did. Now from my understanding, that was a legal range thing with the GH2; it always bothered me a bit that when I framed my cam and got the setup, I didn't saw what I recorded after all, because of this "bug". Now the G7 has this nice feature to let me choose if I want to record 0-255 or 16-255 (which seems not to change the actual data beeing recorded when I may trust the internet), but even setting it to full range it still changes.

Is it still the legal range-thing from the GH2, and is there some way around it?

• so the menus and everything would be in german, and it potentially has the 30min recording limit?

• Buy the PV version if you want unlimited, but if you want NTSC/PAL flexibility look to one of the GH4 versions. Make sure you get the version you want before you buy--tough to change it.

• so the menus and everything would be in german, and it potentially has the 30min recording limit? 30min limit, in any case. language, not really: you can switch it to -english -german -french -spanish -italian -polish -czech -dutch -turkish -portgesh -suomi -deanish and four other languages that I can't identify (they are written in their respective native words)

I own the G70, so I looked it up quickly.

I don't mind the 30min limit that much and it was insanely cheap so I got that one.

• @cameraRick so it's PAL, no 24p, only 25 and 50p right? how tough is it to change it @DrDave? there is a cheap deal for a g70 on ebay, 450 bucks.

• Well, @cameraRick, @ttancredi, I just got mine today which is also DMC-G70. Charging the battery and checking it out later.

and, you're right @cameraRick, it it's 25p, you have 24p on both 4K and AVCHD's 1080p.

• @Ezzelin @Scot Wow thanks for the tip on shooting 4K Photo Mode for G7 anamorphic. So 4K 4:3 (or 1:1!) video recording at 30 FPS with sound, great! Until now I was very jealous of the GH4...I am doing this just for fun/personal, was gonna look for a cheap G3 and hack the MJPEG mode which works really well but don't need to anymore.

• I just got a PNY 128GB Elite Performance SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 U1 card. Only $37.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PO5CSI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=9D2AMFMLL2YT&coliid=I396853P8YMSEE&psc=1

Formatted and started recording. Been moving the camera around and recording in about 25 minute stretches and then restarting. Camera back is warm but no issues with this card recording 4K 24p. It's normal temp in my house around 73 degrees. I recorded for about 72 minutes with no long breaks in-between . I won't be able to do a heat torture test until maybe tomorrow. It will get up to about 80 degrees tomorrow. Maybe i'll test in the sun to see if it causes any issues.

This is a very good bargain from what I see so far. The G7 seems to really make things easier in terms of SD card choices. It's the new Best Bang for the Buck camera IMO. Camera and 128GB SD Card for under $563 U.S. is great.

• g7 vs g6 vs fz1000

g7 has great hd and 4k video quality!

• I think there's a bug in the G7's that I bought from here. All the function keys on the ISO, WB, Direct Focus, all come up direct focus when I press them. Even when I map Function 3 to anything, it's still Direct Focus area. Any help with this? I've attached a video to show the problem.

• @smoke23 check if you have "Direct Focus Area" on in page 3 of the custom settings. If you want ISO etc you need to set it to 'OFF'. You then bring up the focus area by pressing the 'West' cursor. On page 157 of the manual it says that this is set to OFF for the creative control mode anyway.

• @G3550D, thank you so much, I thought something was wrong!

• I've been testing the personal-view.com NTSC version with unlimited 4K record times. The unlimited 4K recording works great. I did notice however the G7 gets warm over a long period of time recording, should there be any worries about overheating in the future?

• @smoke23, it may not be a concern, but we won't know for sure until someone tests in a very hot environment. I was able to record for over an hour with no issues, even tho the body felt a bit warm. It was about 73 degrees here in Georgia, USA.

• I noticed the metal heat shroud on the battery divider got pretty toasty, but so far it still works good, I decided to burn the cams in a bit gradually, will try five hours this weekend.

• Did some testing with the Panasonic G7 Picture Profiles, also with the Osiris Luts. Untouched Files.

• Can someone direct me with a link to the exact file that will upgrade the firmware without removing the unlimited recording? Thanks in advance.

• @DrDave

Well, back down to the firmware release post, or use search and download form any Panasonic site.

• Firmware works good! w00t!