Personal View site logo
What Voiceover Mic should be used to complement indoor dialogue
  • I'm shooting a scene with indoor dialogue - and I'm planning on using a Audix SCX1/HC to capture that conversation. However, later on one of the actors in the earlier scene has a voice over. Should I use the same Audix SCX1/HC (in a sound room) to do the voiceover - or should I choose a mic that is designed for voiceover work? Initially I thought I should use the same mic because that way it would record that individual's voice the same way - but now I'm not as sure.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Why not? Just use good mount and pop filter.

• Mostly because if I look up the "best voiceover" mic's - I see a non-overlapping list compared to the best "indoor dialogue boom mic" - so that made me think that perhaps an indoor dialogue boom mic wouldn't be a good fit. Sounds like it should be fine.

• Mostly because if I look up the "best voiceover" mic's - I see a non-overlapping list compared to the best "indoor dialogue boom mic" - so that made me think that perhaps an indoor dialogue boom mic wouldn't be a good fit.

Large diaphragm mike can make you better sound, yet your mike must be totally ok.

• Your mic is hyper cardioid, very suited for indoor work. Perhaps not the first mic I would associate with VoiceOver, but as VK writes, setup correctly with pop screen or foam muff in a studio it would be fine. Main advantage to using same mic is same sound profile, less post work.

• Depends on what you are looking for. To blend dialogue with overdub use same mike as regular dialogue (in same room hopefully), ala ADR. For a clear separation between voice-over and dialogue use a broadcast mike or other large diapham condenser with a pop screen in front.