Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • @Vesku I followed your links & read your posts. Not so much positive as speculative comments. Nothing wrong with that. @matt3 clearly states he made a quick first test. I don't think he was in control of the weather conditions at the time of the test. A more useful comment may be to advise on the best way to do a test, no?

• @caveport

You are right my comments was not constructive or clever. I cant still find much positive to say about v-log examples. I am sorry @matt3. Maybe I should not comment v-log because I dont even have it.

• @Vesku I do have V-log and I do not like it for internal recording. It really needs a 10bit recorder attached. I'm quite happy with the Natural setting for most of my shooting, as I can recover highlights very well in DaVinci Resolve. Also it's easier to get an accurate exposure.

• @CFreak

Most welcome. I get puzzled by things, I want them sorted out. So ... either I puzzle it myself, or look for someone else who has so I don't have to! ;-)

Neil

• @ Matt33... I thought the focus was soft in some places but I liked the color generated a lot...I surf too...curious where you shot it...I must be getting blind, because I fail to see the noise in this shot...I also have an Atomos but I have to say I like Vlog internal a lot too...far more than Cine D...maybe I'm the only one on this forum who does, or maybe my GH4 is broken lol...

• I actually prefer Vlog over Cine D so @PierreB you are not alone my friend ;-) I must be blind as well because I don't notice the noise in the shot. In any event my conclusion with the profiles is to use a profile that will work for that particular scene. Kinda like the way you would use a specific lens or grading technique to get a certain look. This is the great thing about having different profiles, we are not stuck with a certain look.

I conducted a test and asked 5 (Normal) people separately what they thought about a certain look (Profile/Grade). My conclusion is that different people will have different opinions on what they think looks great. So to a certain degree a lot of this is subjective. Some things are very obvious of course, shot out of focus, severe underexposure, hot chick like Megan Fox etc LOL. Seriously though I sometimes think that we (myself included) nit pick a little to much on how something turns out just because we want it to be perfect.

There are a bunch of videos out there that look fantastic, to be honest I am floored sometimes when I look at some of the videos out there and what they were shot with. They look so good and the fact is that a lot of this is just extreme raw talent and to a certain degree has nothing to do with the camera itself. @DeShonDixon is a good example of this. The camera helps but you also need the vision from the beginning to the end in terms of the overall look and feel for what you are trying to achieve.

The other point that I would like to make is content. I watched this video of Tori Kelly & Todrick Hall and the video/audio was absolutely horrible. However the content was badass..... The video/audio looks like it was shot on and old school 480p smartphone or something. Yet I watched the whole video in its entirety to watch these 2 very young extremely talented individuals. The point that I am trying to make is that if the content is really really good, then minor issues such as noise etc will be muted to a certain degree because normal people will not even notice it.

I am just as guilty of being a pixel peeper but I also noticed shows like Dexter and some others as well that had a lot of noise but this did not prevent that particular scene from showing up on Netflix. Reason I bring this up is because Vlog has the magenta issue but really with Neat Video it really helps a lot and the vast majority of people would probably not even notice it. So to sum it up Vlog may not be the all in one profile for everything but for skintones it is really hard to beat. Between Vlog, CineD and Natural you should not have a problem getting the look that you want but IMO I don't think that one profile will work for everything.

• @Azo...agreed and nicely put regarding subjectivity...read a lot of comments about why the Beta testers were so quiet on this...answer is probably that they did not encounter the same problems many had and therefore nothing to mention!...only thing I struggled a bit with at first, was the GH4's deep depth of field but the XL Speedbooster and S35 crop solved that...now with Vlog added, I'm so happy with the image...first "overexposed" graded beautifully and highlights are easily recovered, and yes!...there's always Natural which has become my other most used profile...

• I don't think you should be forced to shoot with different profiles to get the look you want. That's better done in post. During shooting, you just want to capture a representation of the light the camera saw, leaving all of the interpretation for later.

Photographers know this. Any photographer worth his salt shoots raw and post-processes the raw images. If you shoot in JPEG, the interpretation and look are baked in, and if you want a different interpretation or look, you need to push and pull willy-nilly on the color values until you get something sorta kinda closer to what you want. It's imprecise, unreliable, and a huge waste of time.

But somehow in the video world, that's the most common way of operating. Video color practices are in the dark ages, and there's no good reason for it. We have the technology to do better, and it doesn't require a camera that shoots raw video. You just need raw color, or more precisely, scene-referred color. You'll never go back to the old ways once you know how to shoot and process scene-referred color.

• @balazer

It is good to understand that many not top photographers either deliver JPEG or batch processed raw (using setting either from preset or from one of the manually tuned shots). So they save their time.

In video it is even more important. Going full raw cost you time and if you are alone it is not small time if this is your everyday business.

• @balazer

Agreed but we are not shooting raw with the GH4. The picture profiles on the GH4 do make a difference and they produce different results in terms of skintones, shadows, and highlights. I would prefer to shoot with one profile but I notice substantial differences between the different profiles regardless of how you grade it in post.

Example shoot the same scene with the stock settings of both Cine D and Natural. You will be able to pull more out of the Cine D shadows then you could with the Natural profile. But at the same time Natural out of the box gives you excellent skin tones and colors with very little grading in post. Contrast that to Cine D where you have to work a lot harder to get nice skin tones in post.

Then throw Vlog into the mix and although it has some issues IMO it has the best skin tones. But again this subjective and just my opinion. I wish that the video from the GH4 was pliable like a raw file from one of my Nikon cameras, but this is just not the case and I have to work within the limitations and parameters of the GH4.

I think your LUT helps out quite a bit with Cine D but it IMO it is still a struggle at times even with your LUT to get good looking skin tones. The colors with your LUT may be spot on in terms of a color chart however I am not talking about a color chart I am talking about skin tones. Please do not take this the wrong way because your LUT is great and I appreciate all the effort that was put into making this available to the rest of us.

If I have some time and you are interested I could go down to a popular tourist spot one day and setup the GH4 and shoot with different profiles. This in of itself will be very intresting just because we will see all of the different types of ethnicities with different skin tones. Maybe I am doing something totally wrong with how I grade my footage so maybe you could grade the footage and upload the same files. I live in Hawaii so we will see Asians, Caucasians, Polynesians, etc etc. Let me know if you would be interested in doing this because if not I will not bother.

Also in regards to shooting raw really depends on what you are shooting.

Sports = Jpeg Portraiture = Raw Landscape = Raw

Anyway this is how I plan to use the different profiles.

Studio or controlled environment where I can control lighting and or have time to setup etc = Vlog Profile

Scenic or landscape type of shots = Cine D Profile

Anything that requires a fast setup = Natural Profile

• @Azo, if you want to run some tests, I'd be happy to validate the workflow and offer my own grade, and see how the different photo styles and processes compare. Color accuracy has always been my goal, particularly for skin tones, and I've gotten a fair bit of positive feedback about that for my LUTs. So if there is a problem with the workflow or with the LUTs themselves, I would want to get that straightened out. There are lots of places where things can go wrong in a color workflow.

@Vitaliy, I specifically said that you don't need to shoot raw video to get scene-referred color. And there's no reason that a color space can't be both scene-referred and pre-rendered for display, giving you the option of delivering straight from the camera or color correcting in post.

• @balazer

Great :-) I will shoot with the following picture profiles using the stock settings and of course will properly white balance and expose the shot as well.

Vlog, Natural, CineD, CineD Leeming Setting.

• @Azo It is very difficult to me, to match, Vlog and Cine D Leeming Lut footage in post.

• Some frames from a music video I shot for Vesperteen, with V Log. These aren't the final grade. So far I've only added a Cineon to Film Contrast 1 LUT.

Vesperteen03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 881K
    Vesperteen02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 666K
    Vesperteen01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 652K
  • @paglez

That is precisely my point. If you look at the clips especially the CineD Leeming clip you will notice that there is more information in the midtones in comparison to VLog clip.

By the way to clarify I would not use 2 diffrent profiles and then try and match them in post. So if I were to choose the Cine D Leeming setting I would continue to do so for the remainder of that project. It is to diificult for me to match in post.

@aaronchicago That looks great would you mind sharing were I can purchase that Cineon to Film Contrast 1 LUT.

• Those aaronchicagos samples are from 10bit v-log.

• @Azo @Vesku Yes it is 10 bit. Forgot to mention that. That LUT is available in the Impulz Ultimate package.

• @ aaronchicago...skin tones look great!!!...only thing I'm missing is the banding in the sky:)...off topic but did you shoot with the Pannie 12-35?

• @PierreB yes I did, for those 3 shots. I also shot with the Sigma 18-35 and Rokinon 85.

• Thanks @balazar & others for your work on the GH4 colour, much appreciated :)

• @aaronchicago...how did the Gh4 and the C100 hold up to each other...BTW...you're really making the Gh4 sing with Vlog...your stuff looks incredible...as nice an image as I see out there...on any camera!..,

• @PierreB wow thanks, I appreciate it. The C100 holds up pretty well. To me it seems like V Log gives a little bit more DR and better highlight roll off. I really hope Panasonic makes a C100 type camera with internal 10 bit 4:2:2 and V-Log.

• @balazer, I was thinking of using your cine-d to logspace LUT again today. I really wanted to get a sky sample, but today is looking kind of dreary. Maybe I'll shoot tonight and get some neon samples and see how they work with the xvYCC conversion. I'm using Davinci, so I think the xvYCC conversion should work since I have your version 1.4.

• Sure, let me know how it goes. Have you done some tests already?

• Would it be possible to have a CineD->Log LUT that uses the Leeming settings, so people can go either way with their footage and not have to decide up-front? (Meaning -5 -3 -5 0 0, although I'm sure you know that - I suspect you only care about the contrast?) Or would this give less good results than all 0s? http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?340808-Leeming-LUT-One-%96-the-best-LUT-for-the-Panasonic-GH4