Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • Many of this monsters made another round of dark crap content.

That's true. Somehow the capabilities of the A7s were interpreted as "Lighting no longer needed".

• And it is not a lowlight monster like some of the recent (Sony I'm looking at you) other mirror less options out there.

Many of this monsters made another round of dark crap content. I do not know why, but many people write reviews as if you do not need to set proper lighting.

• The NX1 is amazingly capable in many, many ways that other cameras just are not. As a gimbal operator, my personal favorite is the autofocus which is best described as "it just freaking works. all the time." It's downright uncanny, but I almost NEVER see it hunt. Once it finds focus, (which it does very quickly especially with face tracking), it keeps focus, even when pushing in and out from the subject, spinning around it, above it, below it, or any other movement imaginable. I shoot all day long on my Ronin and never touch or even think about focus.

And should my arms get truly tired, or the gimbal run out of juice, the 16-50's OIS stabilization is very capable in its own right. You can do a lot with literally just the camera and this lens. Not many cameras can really say that.

The 4K is gorgeous, the 1080p is flawless, the slow-mo is inspiring. The colors are pleasing and the overall image rendering is very useable. The file sizes are obscenely small for their quality (I usually get a long day of shooting onto a 64GB card with room to spare, even in 4K.)

There are two things the NX1 is not:

It is not a raw cinema style camera.

And it is not a lowlight monster like some of the recent (Sony I'm looking at you) other mirror less options out there. That being said, it looks identical at ISO 800 as it does at ISO 100. I'm rarely scared to use the auto-ISO in relevant situations.

• BTW, I hope Oly manage to keep their IBIS working in 4k for em-1 mk2.

Let me explain again. People who use such stabs do not make measurements of noise increase in quite hot temperature.

Good cinema cameras have really massive cooling systems for sensor, not only to cool it, but to keep it at same temperature, so you get consistent results. Sensor based stabilizers is thing going in opposite direction. Sensor with minimal cooling.

• Yes Vitaliy, for a software stabilizer it's pretty decent. I was referring to the 'best in-camera stabilizing for video of any camera' claim (I consider ibis to be in-cam). BTW, I hope Oly manage to keep their IBIS working in 4k for em-1 mk2.

• @brudney

Well, it is not sensor based stab, so it is good for such stabilizers.

Sensor stabs have big flaw with cooling.

• Sorry markr041 but it's nowhere near as good as Oly's IBIS. Hell, even Sony's latest stabilisation looks better.

• Samsung Electronics will decrease personnel at its Samsung Seoul R&D Campus by as many as two-thirds in order to restructure its business model and operations, according to a new report from ChosunBiz.

• Whatever its marketing fate, the NX1 delivers the best in-camera stabilizing for video of any camera. This was shot handheld with two lenses that have no OIS (the 12mm Rokinon and the 45mm NX):

• I think this footage I found in You Tube looks excellent!

• May be Samsung know that it is better to withdraw.

I suggest to check their laptops withdrawal story. No one asked engineers, local offices, etc. Just few Korean managers meet and you are done.

Check also their Bada and Tizen development history.

I have my own theory, for long time two groups of management make some fight, and big win had been removal of Tizen based phones from smartphones line even before releases. It can be that camera business will be destroyed only to weaken this part even more as cameras had been example that Tizen works perfect. TV business being last stand now, but it can also change in a blink.

• May be Samsung know that it is better to withdraw. They could become a major camera sensor supplier againts Sony and create more revenue rather than to build and maintain their own camera line up. We never know, don't we?

It takes alot of money to maintain a brand. Although Samsung is a strong brand, Samsung NX camera line up itself is hard to become a brand contender amongs old brands with high brand-awareness in camera category like Nikon, Canon, and Olympus.
  • I did Live Chat with Samsung just now, and a person named Nithin G said they are aware of the rumors circulating on 3rd party sites. Nithin G denied the validity of the rumors, and said the NX1 is not, and will not be discontinued anytime soon.

In the end, it's all a rumor until it's official.

• Here is a nice summary of the rumors that puts things in a perspective: http://petapixel.com/2015/11/11/is-samsung-shuttering-its-camera-business/

Nothing new but a good read for those who just found out.

• the grammar in the statement makes not believe a word of it.

also what cameras would this statement be referring to? besides the GH4 the only other cameras that are similar to NX1 are A7S!! and A7R!! wheich are considerably more expensive.

• Great. I bought the Sega Dreamcast just before it went bust, now this

Well, I still have Dreamcast and got it after Sega ceased making it :-)

I also do not plan to part with NX lenses, hope for cheap NX1 or such.

• Yes I hope Samsung sells the technology of the NX1 to a company that will develop it further. It is too good to be wasted. But, we will wait and see what happens.

• I'm not seeing a huge difference in the 4K Video quality from my top cams and the S5 and S6 phones--maybe someone figured out that in a few years there will be no real difference, except really LL.

• Great. I bought the Sega Dreamcast just before it went bust, now this. Samsung pulls out of Europe, but I hope they stay put here in the U.S. That or they sell the NX1 platform to somebody who knows how to market a product properly.

• So, can we expect firesale for nx500's/nx1's?

• I hope this thread does not get too polluted with rumors, unverified news items, gossip and speculation about the demise of the NX1. Meanwhile, it is an incredible video tool. Handheld, using DIS, of action sports:

• Yes, exactly.

• I doubt any company would say "there is already much better and upgraded cameras" as basis for their decision to discontinue their flagship camera

Source of this text is unknown. Can be some guy in India who was just tired.