Personal View site logo
DVD printer recommendations
  • Making a series of DVD sell through films, and thinking about handling small duplication runs myself. Looking for input on a decent quality inkjet dvd printer that won't break the bank.

Thanks in advance

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • Some Epson with CIS. Yet any of them are costly and require time.

Why not start selling flash drives with films? You can print on thick paper all info in color and make two cuts to hold the drive.

• @Vitaly For nearly 20 years now there is a DVD standard. Meanwhile many of my customers know how to play a DVD. There are thousands of video encoding versions. What kind of video encoding every dummie can read? + DVD looks more valency and copy is more difficult.

• For nearly 20 years now there is a DVD standard. Meanwhile many of my customers know how to play a DVD. There are thousands of video encoding versions. What kind of video encoding every dummy can read?

You can include APK/PC/Mac players on same flash if you so afraid. PC player can be portable, do not require any install.

Around 90% of modern devices can play H.264 in MKV container.

DVD ownership is dropping fast. DVD quality is horrible compared to 1080p that you will provide on flash.

• @mrbill. Just bought a Canon PiXMA pro-100 (for that very purpose) which has great reviews and right now includes a $250 mail in rebate:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893738-REG/Canon_6228b002_Pixma_Pro_100_Photo_Inkjet.html

• Epson Artisan 50 and JVC hydro. But, not sure I would bother even with Blu-Ray at this point.

• Pixma pro -100 is a very expensive one. Surely good though. Since more than 10 years I use the Canon Pixma series for printing on DVDs. I now use the ip7250, which is similar to the ip7220 here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/905028-REG/Canon_6219b002aa_PIXMA_iP7220_Wireless_Color.html

• I'm using Epson L800 and get very good results. Only two things to keep in mind thought: 1) the Epson prints the discs slower than other printers but the quality and color resistance is better. 2) the ink dries much slower (probably a couple of hours depending on the disc surface).

I also used Canon and Brother in the past. Brother had the lowest quality in the pack. Canon prints very quick but if you print more discs in one time, the print speed is dramatically increased (the Epson is slower but constant) and the ink smudges much eraser on Canon (at least for printers under 300$).

• small addendum: I also bought the Canon because it can print high quality photos up to 13 X 19". After mail-in rebate final cost for printer was $50 including 50 sheets of 13 X 19 semi-gloss paper.

• There was a similar thread a few weeks ago. My simple thermal printing solution is described there: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/207942#Comment_207942

I hear what VK is saying, yes the DVD is basically dead, but, all my small clients, have customers who can only handle DVD. I tried to get them interested in BluRay, but, no client wanted it. Saying their customers just want DVDs. I sometimes offer the client a 1080P download of the video for a small fee, for their archive, no one has ever wanted it! They just don't know what they are missing.

• I agree. There is still a demand for DVDs.

• I am printing with primera bravo. It cost like 600e but it is handy to print/make dvd:s. Also inks arent cheapest but... There is still demand for DVD:s, Dvd's just last longer than files. Dvd is physical item, files is on the hard drive and hard drives are little bit problematic..

• Epson Stylus 1400 is an excellent one if you can still find one. I bought mine for $200 years ago.