Personal View site logo
GH4 NTSC Limited FHD MP4 record time?
  • So I was shooting a live speaker event yesterday and wanted to try out FHD mode with a lower bitrate (20mbps) in MP4. I noticed it only gave me 27 min of record time and read the manual which it stated: "when the motion picture size is set to [FHD], [HD] or [VGA] in [MP4], you can continuously record a motion picture up to 29 minutes 59 seconds". I have an NTSC GH4, is there a reason for this? So basically if I want a lower bitrate, I'm stuck with AVCHD if I need the clips to span? This was the first time I've ever tried the lower bitrates. However, the manual states on page 60: "When the motion picture size is set to [FHD], [HD] or [VGA] in [MP4], you can continuously record a motion picture up to 29 minutes 59 seconds" or until the file size reaches 4gb. - Since the files size becomes larger with [FHD], recording with [FHD] will stop before 29 minutes 59 seconds." I tried a 32gb, 64gb, and 128gb card...same thing. It will span at 200mbps but not 20mbps? Weird

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • I live near Monterey Bay, California I have never shot in a mode that did not record continuous 4GB segments until the battery runs out. Typically that is over 3 hours of unattended Video.

Are you sure you do not have a PAL camera made for Europe?

• Nope, I purchased from Texas Media Systems when it first came out . I always shoot 50 or 100mbps and just wanted to try the lower bitrates. It states it clearly in the manual, however I don't understand the reasoning. I tried it out and sure enough, after 27 min on all my cards (32gb, 64gb, & 128gb cards) it stops recording, as it states in the manual. In AVCHD, the files span just fine at any frame rate.

• I think that's the way it is, and was with the GH2 too.