Personal View site logo
Worldpremiere. First footage shot with native M43 SLR Magic Cine Anamorphic lenses
  • Worldpremiere. First footage shot with native M43 SLR Magic Cine Anamorphic lenses.

SLR Magic 35mm Cine Anamorphot

SLR Magic 50mm Cine Anamorphot

SLR Magic 70mm Cine Anamorphot

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • Nice! Can you comment on the usability and technical aspects of your shoot - camera, aperture a.s.o

• @rrrr First I have to say that it was such a pleasure to shoot with these lenses compared to shooting with other vintage anamorphics. No hassle, no aligning, no triple checking focus. Other lenses can give great results. Kowa, Bolex Möller, Sankor, Iscorama and other anamorphics all have their special character, beauty, disadvantages and solutions to be able to shoot in a proper way. But being able to shoot without lens clamps, rings, front lenses and other stuff feels so good. It’s just choosing the right focal distance, attach it and shoot. Is it perfect? No. But I have to compliment SLR Magic because they are at least putting energy into anamorphic solutions and now even into native anamorphics. When shooting wide open, which I tend to do and have done for this short film, some chromatic aberration can be visible, it disappears when stopping down. The 35mm mm has clearly some visible circular distortion in the edges. I tiny bit too much to my personal taste but i know many anamorphic lovers love the distortion. I am enthusiastic about the sharpness, the overall look and user friendly usability. These are the first ‘lower range’ anamorphics I would dare to take with me on a commercial job.

• nice aberrations, specially the barrel distortion.

Please reply on the technical aspects of your shoot.

@RRR what do you think about this babies?

• The resolution/detail looks low and the image is hazy. I know you said you like to shoot wide open but I can't tell if it's vimeo, post process/editing choice, or the lens. Or all the above.

• I really enjoyed your work here, thank you for sharing this. I must say, I appreciated the lighting as much as the composition. Not sure it works as well without both elements?

• @endotoxic @beeldlab

I think the look is spot on, and like beeldlab says the 35mm seems to distort a little bit too much for my liking. I'm also not a fan of any abberations whatsoever, but the problem seemed negligible on the 50? Personally I won't buy any anamorphics (I'm going to sell the Sankor 16d I own) but I'd consider hiring a set of these in the right circumstance for sure..

• @RRR

Why dint like the aberrations???

Well is a very personal choice at last.

• @beeldlab Nice!
    What is the closest focus distance for these lenses? Do you need diopters for close focus?

• @beeldlab Another question please...
    Did you use a monitor with an "unsqueeze" feature or did you view the squeezed video while shooting?
    Thanks!

• They look great! Thanks for sharing

• @izash Close Focus: 3’6, if you want to go closer diopters are needed. Used Small HD monitor with ability to unsqueeze

• @endotoxic, I hate abberations, takes me away from what is in the image. I love lenses that have very little to no abberations wide open.

• I hate abberations, takes me away from what is in the image. I love lenses that have very little to no abberations wide open.

Most fun thing is that you can not have fast more or less affordable lens, very sharp and without any abberations.

Companies made huge progress in last years, but physics still has same laws.

• I know, hence I tend to favor renting instead of buying for productions where it matters. Also, I prefer a t2.2-2.8 or even 4-5.6 over a faster lens that cannot be shot wide open with some few exceptions.

Even with the cooke anamorphic range (~30k$/lens), some lenses are much worse wide open than others. The difference between the 32mm and the 40mm is huge.

I like the ambition SLR magic has here, and it looks like really good value for money.