Personal View site logo
RED Raven Camera, New 4K Dragon Sensor Camera for $5950 (brain only)
  • 54 Replies sorted by
  • @AlbertZ it is only an increase in the Y axis however.

• Red Raven free upgrade: 4.5k now, larger sensor

"After a long night discussion with Jim Jannard, in a post on RED User Jarred Land announced that the Raven gets an essential sensor upgrade at no extra cost to customers. The new sensor size will be 23.04mm x 10.8mm providing an expanded horizontal sensor area with the frame height remaining the same. This means that the Red RAVEN is now officially a 4.5K camera "

http://www.4kshooters.net/2015/10/23/red-raven-is-now-officially-4-5k-camera/

• @nomad RED has dramatically improved its color science and DR in the Dragon Series :) I am only a bit disappointed for the Speedbooster capability, however 1.87 is the crop factor of the sweet old GH2.. :)

• @RomanLegion I'd subscribe to most of your points, but cameras with better colors and skin tone? Have you seen footage from the Dragon sensor with your own eyes? I know Red has gained a abad reputation in this respect with the older sensors, but the Dragon is producing colors as beautiful as an Alexa (if you know what you're doing).

• Interestingly, the sensor is exactly the same size as the Dragon in 4K mode. Could make for a decent B-cam or alternative to the Dragon if all you want is 4K anyway.

• So much for 4K4All, except Prores lol

• @AlbertZ Strange that ProRes is only available at 2K or less resolution. Must be meant for proxy workflow.

• RED RAVEN BRAIN ONLY – $5,950 ($500 deposit) – ships February 2016

RED RAVEN JETPACK PACKAGE – $9,750 ($1,000 deposit) – ships February 2016 Includes a RED RAVEN BRAIN, JETPACK, Battery Belt Clip, RED MINI-MAG 120GB, 4.7” LCD, AC Power Adaptor, and DSMC2 Outrigger Handle.

RED RAVEN I/O PACKAGE – $9,950 ($1,000 deposit) – ships March 2016 Includes a RED RAVEN BRAIN, Base I/O V-Lock Expander, RED MINI-MAG 120GB, 4.7” LCD, AC Power Adaptor, and DSMC2 Outrigger Handle.

PR

Capable of capturing footage with REDCODE® RAW in 4K at 120 fps or in 2K at 240 fps, RED RAVEN is built to shoot exceptionally high-speed, high resolution content. Boasting RED’s incredible dynamic range, ultra-clean detail, and renowned color science—RED RAVEN gives you best-in-class image quality.

RED RAVEN provides options tailored to your preferred workflow. RED’s innovative recording format, REDCODE RAW (R3D), enables shooters to maintain visual integrity throughout post-production with non-destructive editing capabilities. Compatible with most professional-grade editing programs, REDCODE RAW easily adapts to your preferred system. Shooters can further their flexibility with simultaneous capture options in both R3D and Apple ProRes 422, 422 LT, or 422 HQ.

RED RAVEN boasts the full capabilities of the RED DRAGON sensor family in our smallest form factor to date. Weighing in at just 3.5 lbs, RED RAVEN gives you the ultimate blend of flexibility and performance. Whether shooting for documentaries, online content creation, indie filmmaking, or with drones and gimbals—RED RAVEN’s durable, lightweight construction is ideal for any situation.

RED RAVEN, with an integrated Canon EF Mount and media bay, has package options that include everything you need from the moment you open the box. Even if you’re new to RED, you can immediately jump in the trenches and shoot with confidence.

RED RAVEN™ delivers the creative flexibility and cinematic image quality that has come to be synonymous with RED®. RED RAVEN is an unprecedented 4K digital camera, ideal for the passionate and professional alike. Capable of capturing 4K resolution footage at up to 120 fps—or 2K at 240 fps—RED RAVEN harnesses the raw power of the RED DRAGON®, DxOMark’s highest rated sensor ever.

Designed and engineered around RED’s unwavering commitment to image quality and modularity—RED RAVEN is a full-fledged professional camera that will grow with you. As one of the smallest and most lightweight RED cameras yet, RED RAVEN is uniquely suited for hand-held shooting, as well as gimbal and drone applications.

Take advantage of the renown color science and unmatched dynamic range of the RED DRAGON sensor. And with the ability to record in REDCODE RAW (R3D) and Apple ProRes, simultaneously, RED RAVEN supports a wide range of trusted workflow options. Fully backed by an ecosystem of DSMC2™ Modules and the momentum of a thriving worldwide community of RED shooters, RED RAVEN ushers in a new age of creativity and accessibility.

The RED RAVEN BRAIN® is constructed of robust, lightweight aluminum and—like WEAPON®—provides intelligent mounting points for cable-free peripheral attachment. RED RAVEN’s compact form factor also integrates a Canon EF Mount and media bay, supporting blazing fast RED MINI-MAG® SSDs. Other accessories, such as modules, media, power, monitors/displays, and mounting equipment are sold separately.

“RED RAVEN is a new category in our line up,” says Jarred Land, President of Red Digital Cinema. “It’s a younger, hungrier, more ‘spirited’ member of the RED family with a bit of a chip on its shoulder, ready to take on the entire sub-$10k market with images that users will be incredibly proud of.”

RED RAVEN will begin shipping in February 2016, and deposits will be accepted beginning today. Customers will be given a choice of purchasing the BRAIN only and building a kit that best fits their needs, or choosing a complete package. The RED RAVEN Base I/O Package offers everything content creators need to take their productions to the next level of image quality and professionalism, while the RED RAVEN JETPACK Package is specifically designed for use with handheld gimbals, drones, jibs and cranes.

zebra42.jpg
    800 x 790 - 89K
    red.png
    640 x 1759 - 115K
  • Sony has been doing 4k for less than 4k, same with Panasonic, for uh... a while now. The whole concept behind this camera seems so backwards. If this was 2012, sure, I'd be pumped.

But there is so much lacking here... no S35; 5:1 compression so really, lets not try to pretend this is anywhere close to the beast that ACTUAL Raw is; no Speedbooster capability; but then the worst part is, you've got to buy a TON of shit just to make this work. Everyone is doing 4k at this point. What could possibly motivate the purchase of this camera? Who would buy it when you have so many better options, and quite frankly, cameras that are giving you better color and skin tones as well?

• Is anyone else tired of "4K for 4K" being bandied about, when the real price of entry is over twice that? I mean, I know RED want a piece of the lower market, but they just don't seem to understand that calling a camera inexpensive doesn't make it so.

• EF mount only on a 2x crop sensor? Didn't they learn from the mistakes of BM? Make it M43 mount

• Damn, only EF mount and no PL option? Booo.... but it is mighty tempting

• If you are on a budget, the fs5 looks like a great deal right now. You can even add an external recorder + rig gear and a lens and still come up cheaper than the other options.. Built in ND's is fucking awesome to have. With that said, I'm not going to buy any of these. The one good thing though is that rental will be pretty low on this.

• @AlbertZ And one can easily drop another $2k by downgrading to the Ursa 4K vs the Ursa 4.6k, making the package end up costing about $4k less.

• @eatstoomuchjam @RRRR So the cost of entry will probably bump right up against $10K with the mags, batts and monitor. I suppose if you were going for prestige it could be a tempting premium over the Ursa Mini 4.6K which has a larger sensor but also lower frame rates and price. Last I checked Blackmagics' DNG was limited to 3:1 compression as well, so that would be yet another trade-off to stomach. Really love watching these high-end cameras precipitate toward zero, I may actually be able to fit one in my budget one day.

• "The camera will ship with an onboard SSD media bay and Canon EF mount as standard. Land said the Raven is the same size as the Red Weapon, indicating that it will work with the same "DSMC²" accessories, and let slip that it will be the lightest camera Red has ever made, meaning it should weigh in at less than the 3.27 pounds of a Weapon woven-carbon-fiber body with media bay. A solid choice for handheld gimbals and drone flights, then"

http://www.studiodaily.com/2015/09/5950-new-raven-reds-lightest-digital-cinema-camera/#sthash.RMrq0YbU.dpuf

• Redraw is much more efficient than prores. Shoot 7:1, 8 or 9:1 and you have very decent data rates and no visual loss. The cost for a fully working camera is a lot more than 5950 usd, though. There are plenty of competitive options in a similar price range, however personally I'm more interested in different cameras/sensors as ways of obtaining certain looks, much like film stocks.

• @Tron - Don't forget that the GH4 is at 0.73 GB per minute recording to media that costs about $0.50 US per gigabyte where Red's storage seems to cost closer to $7/US per GB (their page indicated that a 120GB cartridge would cost $850) - that makes more like a 200x increase in price for onsite capacity (15x data rate X 14x media cost).

Ouch.

• Red offers ProRes too, however we have to wait until Friday to know the full specifications of the RED Raven. I hope that it wil offer ProRes too for a quicker workflow :) https://www.cinema5d.com/red-raven-ready-entire-sub10k-market/

• Shooting raw is awesome, but storage space comes in around 10.7 GB per minute at 5:1 compression. By comparison, a GH4 is around .73 GB per minute... so a data rate increase of about 15 times. Does Red offer ProRes yet?