Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • @cls105 it has nothing to do with software- only license key. If panasonic run out of the printed cards then yes there will be a shortage. This doesn't make sense but there you go. It would be very cool to send you code in email- but they wanted to use carrier pigions.

Maybe there is a hand written apology letter in each kit: "Sorry v-log took so long! Please buy the GH5 when it comes out"

• I know I know it is still early but I want to be prepared I use filmconvert on some scenes with their LUT profiles for my GH4 but besides that I don't know much about LUTs so now the new firmware "transforms" the VLogL footage to V709 but where do I go from there? What is V709 and what would be the grading workflow for that?

• Seriously, pre-ordering software is completely useless. Is the internet going to run out of copies or something?

People really are mad about consumerism.

• Can people post the contents of their serial.lst file? I am trying to find some pattern in the list, because it certainly is encrypted :(

• There is a kit lens 12-35mm update too!

• Does anyone have the previous version of firmware so I can do a binary diff?

• The firmware update is now up, for those of us that want to explore the code... or at least try to.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html

• Firmware is up but no V-log kits shipping yet. The recommended lut from Panasonic is the same lut as used for the varicam 35.

• but the question remains: will they ship it digitally, too and can I buy the German firmware and apply it to the US model?

It is physical card. As I know it apply to any camera.

I hope we will have on deal option for electronic delivery for long time members.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev you are right, of course! but the question remains: will they ship it digitally, too and can I buy the German firmware and apply it to the US model?

• I was probably getting overly excited! I just figured it would be a global launch, I'll be patient :)

• Where to preorder the update outside of the U.S. :)

Why preorder it at all? As all will be available you will see lots of links.

• Where to preorder the update outside of the U.S. :)

• @Umii

What you can not see?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I can't see it, all I can find for UK is this link and there is no way to place an order on this page yet that I can see. http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/camera-accessories/others/dmw-sfu1gu.html

• @olli66

It is not firmware at all, it is just code. Must work with any camera.

• thanks but the question is: will the German firmware work with my US camera?

• @Umii

I think if you go back, actual price in EU is 49 EUR as they have some promotion.

• @olli66 my German not great but I think this is where you can order it direct in Germany http://shop.panasonic.de/DMW-SFU1GU/DMW-SFU1GU,de_DE,pd.html

The UK link won't let you order yet that I can see

• so...I live in Germany, bought the GH4 from the US to NOT have that stupid 29 minute limation. I paid much more with shipping and taxes than the German model would ahve cost me and now they release in Germany a GH4 without the limitation? and Panasonic does not ship the firmware update (I just assume I have to byu it from the US?) to Germany? why can't the code be just sent by email? when I order from b+h I pay nearly $ 200 for the firmware update. epic fail: yes.

• @discomandavis

Like you have stated, 10-bit will always be better than 8-bit , but hopefully 8-bit won't be that much worse than 10-bit.

• I wont know how I really feel until I can run a series of tests, but from what I have seen, I don't think I will be disappointed with V-Log in the 8bit container, that may just be a case of managing my expectations well, 8bits will never be 10 bits, just like 10 bits will never be 12 bits.

Doesn't mean 8bit is bad, its a Good, Better, Best situation. An external recorder will be my next purchase, though I wish they would make more compact 4k recorder, like a Shogun Star or whatever they want to call it.

• Modified S-Curve version of the last three clips of the original movie. Redesigned for slightly better shadow information. I was going the replace the original with this one and relink this on page 17 of this thread , but I can no longer edit my original post. Vitaliy, if you want to remove this, that will be fine.