Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • Only US paypal at the moment. Maybe there will be international payment soon.

• Ok- sorry - I don't get it. What do they send you in the mail? A special sd card? A scratchy code?

Code on paper or plastic card.

what time is the announcement??

It is already announced today, it is just so horrible Panasonic PR team.

• This is very similar to the procedure which involved buying an upgrade for the AF100 to 1080p60. It worked for me, and therefore I will likely buy the v-Log for my GH4 too.

• I can't stop giggling.

• It worked for me

Of course it works. It just kills around 90% of potential sales, if they had been for money in this.

• @shian, jumping ship? I am guessing it has already happened...

• Well, it's Paypal at least. It could've been Western Union money transfer :-)

• VKs link is USA only right now, may have to wait for other stores to update.

• Damn! My GH4 is now completely unusable now that Panasonic is charging for V-log. I had better jump ship and buy a different brand of camera. That'll show 'em I mean business!!!! I can't stop giggling too!

• I am OK with the $99 but stunned but having to ship a box. I'll be shooting an Artist at the Lincoln Center and New York fashion week between the 9th-17th wouldn't it be great to have vlog in the wild for those things? (For Panasonic Publicity) A freakin box...why, for piracy concerns?

• u don't know why I'm giggling. There's about 7 different reasons why.

• If someone decipher the algorithm that generates the .lst file from the serial code + camera serial, Panasonic is (already more) busted.

• Ok, Shian,

I'll bite. Why are you giggling?

• Darn Panny! Come out with 2.3 so we can see what else is going on... Must be mid September. Techs must still be coding away...

• Shian - do you have a beta 2.3?

• I'll probably get it, but I'm going to wait for a bit to see some decent footage from others.

*wondering why Shian's giggling!

• If you must know:

• Sold my M-X way back, and now just listening to the prices on them fall through the floor. (they might be giving them away at this point.)
    • I'll finally have V-log on my camera (a colorist's dream)
    • Kids better learn how to use a hand held meter.
    • A fuck ton of peeps will be dropping $2k plus on these out of frustration (see above reason) http://store.smallhd.com/store/dp7-pro-monitors
    • picturing the threads of complainers "I have V-log and 12 stops, how come my footage is noisy?" Cuz you under exposed again numbnuts (see above reasons)
    • even after buying monitor and meter, still no idea how to create an interesting image
    • I just know, people will try shooting without throwing light into the shadows, cuz they now think you can do that with this camera and complaining that the highlights still get blown out in post. "V-log sucks! I need RAW! "
  • So after: "I need raw" we have: "I need more stops" then: "I need more low light".

Maybe then buy a7s...

Repeat.

• If I read it correct the R says removed recording limit and 200Mbps All Intra for 4k, will be interesting if that's included in the general firmware update

• Good find @Umii! I think there may be a few things like that in the update 2.3. Makes sense why they were testing for such a long time- they wanted to know if camera would crash recording 4k at 200mbps. Superduper!

• At least some good news.

• @umii can you quote it here, I do not see it

• All GH4 R not firmware related discussion must go into GH4 topic (but it is all firmware LOL).

• My order's been placed, gonna be a long two weeks to wait now... 200 Mbps All-I would be an awesome upgrade if true.