Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • Anyone else excited about tomorrow?

• Anyone else excited about tomorrow?

You want to ask if we are excited to know how much we need to pay for small firmware change - $150 or $350?

• What it is and what it will cost, will be interesting to know. I think anything over $100 will be painful, but it all depends on what it is.

Personally, I love to install new firmware, as it gives me the feeling of getting a new camera (or a new something else) :-)

• GH5 coming out early 2016, so wouldn't it be better strategy for Panny to gain more interest in GH line with free v-log? Especially since a7s is a "gift from Sony"- we need now "gift from Panny".

To answer question: very excited to learn how much I have to pay and for what. If we also get 4:2:2 then it will make it easier decision. 300USD for only V-Log? Hmmm...

• If you have to pay for it, I'd say it would be about time for Panasonic firmware hack work to finally take a step forward.

• Even if GH4 were hacked now- Log profile is very complex thing to implement without source files. VK has done an amazing job with gh1 - gh2, and there is no Log profile there. Very easy for panny- very hard for everyone else. Personally I am betting on free update- but knowing my luck!!! :-/

• @alcomposer

I think he means just enabling some switch that check license or such.

• You guys know better than me , but this will be the first time a company charges for a firmware upgrade in photography industry ? Or you have seen this before ? I ´am willing to pay for the firmware if this gives me something really useful .

• You guys know better than me , but this will be the first time a company charges for a firmware upgrade in photography industry ?

Nope :-) Even Panasonic did same shit already with AF100.

• VK...is'nt this the one you should be turning into the Alexa/Red killer:):)

• Sounds like $99 for a physical purchase..

May be it is special sticky tapes (on evf glass and on screen) making all the image super dull, colorless and flat?

• Perfectly reasonable upgrade price, if true. I'm a professional (though some may question that assertion :P) and will make full use of V-Log, so well worth it, but for $100, that's a pretty fair price for most enthusiasts as well. That's a fraction of the cost of a new camera. This is what I expected. I was afraid it would be in the $300 range, but 50-100 was about right.

The whole thing was badly handled on the PR end, but happy to have it, and at (IMO) a reasonable price.

• "Physical box"- what does that mean? Shipping sd cards!??! Thanks for thinking about environment - when it could have been download. Unless as VK pointed out it comes with the special sticky tape as well! (Oh and don't forget in the box is a GH5 badge)

• If it's $100 there should be a way to rebadge the camera…

• I wonder if you can upgrade multiple bodies with the same order? (Bodies that you own obviously!)

I just do not understand why they do not send you audio compact cassette where you can listen your code?

sony83.jpg
    730 x 260 - 33K
  • Seriously, that can't even give us a ship date. Is this so hard? Seriously!

• But I guess this does mean that V-Log lives in the firmware update.... meaning it can likely be hacked and patched... just saying. Not that I am condoning this kind of behavior.

1. Why make it easy to update, when you can make it complicated :-)

2. Is $100 too much if it turns your camera into an Alexa ;-)

• But I guess this does mean that V-Log lives in the firmware update.... meaning it can likely be hacked and patched... just saying.

Yes, it is switch (work if you purchased license code).

Why make it easy to update, when you can make it complicated :-)

Panasonic spends most of the PR/marketing budget into same events and things he did 25 years ago :-) So, this is why I was surprised that we did not get compact cassette, of course vinyl sound better and looks more premium, but you can not expect this from Panasonic management, right?

• It is a bit of a dull process to go through, but i think its worth it. It's nowhere near as painful as updating a Sony F5 to 4k!!!

• Ok- sorry - I don't get it. What do they send you in the mail? A special sd card? A scratchy code?

So we are still waiting for 2.3! :-/

• what time is the announcement??